Sign in to follow this  
nycanary

fan psychology - this saturday is crucial.

it''s been very interesting to read all the posts on this fantastic forum. i, like almost everyone else, have been thoroughly demoralised by our performance at villa. it comes on the heels of numerous average performances and frankly, this was the game that sent us all over the edge and we''re all screaming for action.

we''re disappointed. we''re annoyed and frustrated. lady luck isn''t talking to us.

but perhaps most disturbingly, we can see and feel that the players are starting to lose belief, fight and have virtually no confidence.

this makes this saturday''s match so important. we''re a proxy for canary fans everywhere and if this board is an indication of anything, our frustration could come out in full force at carrow road if the performance doesn''t show signs of a serious revival. this would probably create a vicious cycle where the players belief suffers further and we''re all on a downward spiral to the championship. not good.

so i guess i feel like this saturday''s fixture is our most important of the season so far. as much so for the fans as the players. the fans need to set aside all their frustration and annoyance and get behind the team, as always, this weekend. and they have to get behind them for 90 minutes.

we have a fragile team right now and fans behavior could push them past the brink. we can''t control what nigel or the lads will do on the pitch but we certainly can make sure that we support them even more so now than ever.

so, a plea from a lifelong canary fan in new york who can''t join you -- stand up and be counted on saturday. shout louder than ever -- even if you don''t really want to. OTBC.

Totally agree. during last season and this, mostly so far, I have been impressed at the way the fans keep behind the team when they go a goal down. Last Saturday worried me, ok we are all disappointed, but second half on Saturday we were quiet, and Canaries fans started to leave before the end too - worrying! We have to keep the faith.

Last week Delia said that signing Ashton was part of a long term plan. That may include inevitable relegation, but hopefully we will have enough strength and money to get back up - but I still think this year it''s going to the last day of the season, and the team that finishes 17th may have an all time record low points total.  Anyone know if anyones offering odds on that?

I agree with that NY.
If the team doesn''t start well or goes a goal down, it might be harder than ever to pick the players up if everyone''s on a downer. I''m sure (almost) everyone will do their best to back the team.
I wish I could be there to help provide an extra voice, because things could start looking a lot rosier if we get a win.

Very very well said. I was a little saddened to (not) hear the faithfull at Villa Park, I have been at all but two games this season, home and away and the support has been amazing, the lads need us, but sadly we have not been doing our part verbally recently. We have still been there, but the volume is low.

The post of the title should have been "FAO River enders and certain sections of the City Stand".

It is forbidden to chant or sing in those areas, such action can cause harm to other attendees and will not be tolerated under any circumstances. But it would be nice if they did.

I dont think there will be much doubt the fans will be behind the team, the crunch time will be what happens not if we go one down but if we happen to go two down; that would be very demoralising especially with Brian Woolnough in the stands...

The appearance of Ashton will be significant and as long as the team puts in a good performance (with passion) I think the fans will be happy - after all boro are a team in form with good strikers and in the top 6, it is unlikely that we will grab three points from this one.

OTBC

You''re right about Woolnough coming this Sturday ZLF - surely reading his artcile, posting copies all over the dressing room and having a taped version of it playing too should be all Worthy needs to motivate the team this Saturday?

It''s up to us to remember just how we felt when we first read it too and get even more behind the team to show the tosser what a real football club and it''s fans are all about as opposed to the glory hunting sycophants that inhabit the upper echelons of the Premiership.