Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Will a £500 bike be safe locked up at the station!?

I''ll have my bike with me on the train so was going to lock it up at the station. Is this a bad idea!?

Very bad. I live just next to the station and had my racer nicked from just outside my flat.

I would not A1, especailly as you have just openly given out its value , I am sure all PUPs are honest but cant tell who is looking at the boards !

...you''ve now just advertised the fact you may be leaving a £500 bike at the station. Without being cynical I''d prob think of not doing it or leaving it somewhere else.

[quote user="spencer 1970"]...you''ve now just advertised the fact you may be leaving a £500 bike at the station. Without being cynical I''d prob think of not doing it or leaving it somewhere else.[/quote]

I have a £500 bike for sale for only £100 cash. Please meet me at Norwich Train stain at 7.45pm tonight, but remember to bring some heavy duty bolt croppers.

you may be better off at morrisons, providing their locks are in the public eye.

If youve got a decent lock I wouldnt worry too much, if someone wants to steal something their going to go out of their way to get it but if you have that mentality youll never take your bike anywhere, just make sure you have a decent lock (or two) on it and that you dont have quick release wheels/seat.

Hmm, thanks all, maybe not the station then. It''s not a flashy bike - no-one looks at one of these and think they want one, believe me! Better not say any more than that - probably given it away already, arghh!

You don''t wanna leave that there mate. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKNBPIMsCwU

I have often left a bike outside the barclay on the railings and never had any trouble!  In fact I even left my lock at home once and chanced it and it was fine.  Plenty old bill about so doubt it will get nicked!

The more locks the better. I have three of those hefty U shaped things and also chain the wheels to the frame. It might take me an hour to unlock everything, but I leave mine anywhere without worries.

Forget the station now though. 

ugh, i asked for this didn''t it?!we should have a separate bit of the board for "Matchday info/logistics"!!

Should be fine - they''ll be loads of bikes there. Also, racks at the ground, morrisons and by the playing fields at the back of the club car-park.Best place though - is the racks outside the swimming pool.Tip for locking up a bike - always lock it up next to a more expensive, flashier bike, especially if it has a worse quality lock then yours...

[quote user="a1canary"]ugh, i asked for this didn''t it?!

we should have a separate bit of the board for "Matchday info/logistics"!!
[/quote]

Not really A1 , the thread has made me chuckle and distracted me from the nerves around tonight! [:D]

agreed, a bit of light relief is what we need!

A1 - i''d offer for you to leave your bike at mine but it''s like a 25min walk to ground...

[quote user="a1canary"]

[/quote]

I agree................it would make things a lot easier for potential bicycle thieves such as myself if the location of all expensive bikes were noted in one handy sub-forum [;)]

Thanks Miguel - that''s good of you. I think after all this (and all these nasty people who want to pinch my lovely fold up bike!) i''m going to take the slightly drastic step of getting off the train on the way past home to drop it off, and getting back on again (the next train one obviously)!

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

[quote user="a1canary"]

[/quote]

I agree................it would make things a lot easier for potential bicycle thieves such as myself if the location of all expensive bikes were noted in one handy sub-forum [;)]

[/quote]

haha. this country/county.

Who the hell would want to nick a foldaway bike?Unless you''re a gay or something.

It should be fine. I left a £900 exercise bike there once and forgot to chain it up. Luckily when I got back, CCTV footage had shown that only 1 person had walked past it all night. Phil Mulryne = Very honest bloke.

you can pop a bike lock with the handle of a fork or spoon... those black locks especially...it can be done in a matter of seconds too.

if i were you i''d leave the bike at home...