Sign in to follow this  
Largey

Surman - Your opinion so far?

I know it''s been picked up on a couple of other threads, but I haven''t seen much from Surman to back up his hefty price tag and the gleaming reports which came with him when he joined.

On a positive side, he is very good with the ball at his feet. Comfortable running at players and slotting an intricate ball through the defence to create a chance. He also builds up play nicely and is a good source to pass to and move.

But he is so slow and lethargic. He can just about keep up with play when we counter attack, but then his defending is weak and he gets brushed off the ball too easy. I''m not sure I''ve seen him put in a strong challenge to win the ball, and I wouldn''t call him clinical in front of goal. If he plays left mid be often leaves Tierney exposed and I''m not sure he covers well when Tierney pushes forward.

Has anyone been disappointed with Surman, or feel he has much more to offer? He was hampered with a couple of injuries earlier in the season and I was happy to give him the benefit of the doubt upon his return, but after a decent run in the side he has (by all accounts) been poor over the last couple of games and has tended to drift in and out of others. His quality has shone through in games, but frustratingly only in glimpses and recently he has been outshone by the likes of Wes, Lansbury, Crofts, Fox and Pacheco.

This may just be my sharp reaction to his early substitution today, but it would be interesting to know anyone elses views on Surman, and what he offers us in the future.

He''s a good player and in general his link-up with his team mates has been good.

However, his last two performances have not been the performances of a player fighting to help his team win promotion. I would say they''ve been "half-hearted" but I think even that would be doing him a favour.

Also, he''s possibly not the only one, the two centrebacks have looked lack-lustre the last 2 games.

He doesnt like to take responsibilty, would rather pass the ball short and pass the responsibility to someone else than have a go. Ie Shoot or try and beat a man.

Before his injury he was class. Since his injury he seems to have lost a yard or two of pace. Tonight he was very poor, against Swansea also not very good.

Looks like he needs a rest, but I would have started Lappin tonight anyway - if we are playing direct with two big men up front it would have helped to have had someone on the pitch who can cross the bloody ball.

Thought Lambert got the shape wrong again tonight as he did on Saturday. Watford are not a very good team and were there for the taking but didn''t really have to worry until McNamee and Jackson came on.

Our midfield hasn''t performed in the last two games.

Fox and Crofts have chosen the wrong time of the season to play poorly and our centre backs can''t defend balls coming to them on the ground at pace. We only win when those balls are cut out. Smith should start on Friday with Lappin in place of Surman and Pacheco. We need to stop Forest scoring and then nick a goal or two.

Promotion is built on clean sheets - we don''t get enough and for that reason alone we won''t finish second.

Success in the playoffs will depend on our front players converting the chances we create and our midfield going back to basics, closing down the opposition and relieving the pressure on the centre of the defence.

On the positive side, both full backs are sound.

I agree with most others, I think - he is certainly a decent player and I''ve been impressed with him on the whole (particularly pre-injury), but he does seem to be suffering a bit of a dip in form. I wouldn''t be amazed to see him on the bench for Friday''s game, with Lansbury reinstated.

One thing that has been a little disappointing is young Pacheco - I had hoped he would kick-on after that first game against Scunny, but that''s not really happened, (and of course, no goals yet). I guess he is getting up to speed, and may well come into his own in the next few games...I''m certainly not writing him off, just hope he plays the starring role we all want in the coming weeks!

First off, hefty price tag - undisclosed, the amount rumoured is the amount Wolves paid for him so personaly I think it wont be as much as the £1.5million people have mentioned.Secondly he has been out for a long time and then recently been playing in a diamond formation which I don''t think suits his game. When we have seen him at his best we have seen him in a 4-4-2 where he is able to get wide and put good balls into the box, the one thing he did show was a good delivery. Pace wise he does seem to be off it a bit, but then like Russell Martin, I should expect a good pre-season may get him back on track.Again we looked far more threatening when we reverted to a 4-4-2 tonight (or at least that''s what it looked like).For me game vs Swansea was lost on a tactical gamble that didn''t come off. Lambert was relying on our form and formation being too much for Swansea and didn''t seem to involve much consideration for their counter-attacking and key players out wide. Just like Hoolahan, I don''t really want to see Surman wasted having to defend more than attack as the midfield often try to make up for being a man short.

I like him but he deserves to be dropped after the last 2 performances.

Lansbury or Lappin to get a start next game.

I thought highly on Surman - he seems calm on the ball and an all round good player.

However his last 2 performances have not been up to par and I would therefore like to see Lappin get a run in. I cannot remember the game but when he game on as a sub after injury he looked bright but not really seen anything of him since. I would imagine he will be keen to fight for the place so a shake up could be a positive move.

Have to say Surman has been pants in the last two games. He doesnt look willing to put a shift in, on Saturday against Swansea he looked like he was struggling to run and I thought he was very negative when he got the ball. He seems to always need to go backwards before going forwards. He has talent but where''s his Holty passion.

Agree with all that has been said - good with passing and one touch movement but I haven''t seen a slower player at CR since Robert Eagle!

It may be time to give McNamee or Lappin a run out as they seem to have a bit more fight and spirit.

He performs better at home than he does at away matches, people forget

that players have more responsibility away from home i.e. tracking back, marking and generally defending

more! This is why i am surprised he started last night, he also strikes me as a confidence player, so he will probably last two seconds at Carrow Road because our fans jump on players backs within seconds of their first mistake! He is a decent player i think but extremely lightweight and away from

home i would start a more physical player like Lansbury who gets his

foot in and ruffles feathers!!

I don''t think he is doing his bit for the team,and he is so slow.Lappin to come back into the team he always works his socks off.

[quote user="bundo"]I don''t think he is doing his bit for the team,and he is so slow.Lappin to come back into the team he always works his socks off.[/quote]

Agreed, feels like we are carrying him at the moment which is just not good enough bearing in mind our situation.

We need players who are up for it for the last 5 games. At least Lappin shows heart when he plays.

[quote user="CDMullins"]He doesnt like to take responsibilty, would rather pass the ball short and pass the responsibility to someone else than have a go. Ie Shoot or try and beat a man.[/quote]Well said that man [Y]

I think he did look better earlier in the season, theres definitely something not right with him just now, he has looked very off the pace the last few games.Maybe once teh season is over they will reveal he''s been carrying something.

I think most fans, once the mist has settled on games are appreciative of the effort put in by players. Not all are going to have endless talent but all can put their shift in and at times thats all we can ask as we won''t win every game.

With Surman he seems to be going throught the motions, he makes running seem very laboured. I would say bring Lappin in as Surman seems lightweight at the moment too.

OTBC

what injury did Surman have.. because to me it seems like he is scared of getting hurt.. would a tackle put him out for a long time? hence not taking people on or going in like he should and risking injury again?

Definitely time for the King of Spain to get a start.

Sure, he''s not the most technically gifted player, but he gives his all and fights for everything and that''s what we need with some of these games coming up. Also, it''d be nice to have a player who can cross the damn ball on the pitch, too.

Surman hasn''t really looked the same player since his injury. I''m sure he''ll be better next season but probably just needs a bit of a rest.

There is no doubt about it he is a very classy player with a good left foot and an eye for a pass but I would just like him to get stuck in a bit more.  When he is playing well his class overshadows his weakness in his game of getting stuck in but he is not playing well he needs to give it 100% and get in peoples faces.  On Saturday and last night I was constantly shouting at him to get stuck in because it is so fustrating because we all know how good he is so you want him to go and win the ball and show us what he''s got.

I don''t want everyone to get on the lads back but for these last five games which are all massive I would like Lappin to take his place because we can''t afford to have someone out there who is looking a bit half-hearted.

couldn''t agree more with ? - i think Lappin''s technical ability is low and he''ll never set the Championship alight but he tries hard, and does actually cross the ball into the box - something we are missing greatly at the moment.  i think Holt has put more balls in the box than anyone else which isn''t ideal when he is our main striker and we want him on the end of those passes.

Surman looks out of touch at the moment, and McNamee did well last night but it does put the team out of balance when he''s on.

and will someone please put in a decent corner once in a while!

Lappin and Korey deffo need to get more game time. IMO they will add a bit of strength to the team and protect our defence more than Surman and Lansbury which is much needed at the moment.

As i posted on the Macca thread, for me he hasnt stood out in any game i have seen, in is never anywhere near being a contender for man of the match.

For his type of player this speaks volumes for me and i think Macca deserves a chance or Lappin.

I honestly fail to see what he has done to deserve his place over Lappin or Macca.

Agree with most of the points said. The whol point is having competition for places is that you play well or lose your place and Surman hasn''t played that well since coming back from injury.

No doubting his ability but he is incedibly weak and completely off the pace. I''m sure a summer in the gym will sort him out but we can''t really afford to be nursing him back to fitness right now.

Bring back the KOS for Friday and give Surman, what appears to be, a much needed rest.

Always felt he was overrated. Gives very little cover for his fullback and when he does get back cannot tackle. Has shown little going forward and certainly against Cardiff just controlled the ball and passed it back to someone else to make a positive mood. It has been noticeable that the midfield players have left Ward/Whitbread a bit exposed to opponents who attack with a bit of pace down the middle.

Would definitely recall Lappin. McNamee a possibility for last 20 minutes or so if circumstances require it.

[quote user="Webbo118"]Yippee, we have located the latest holder of the scapegoat t-shirt[/quote]No i''ve held this opinion of him for a while, didn''t think he jusitfied his place when he came back in the team after his injury and bit shocked he has held Lappin out of the team for so long, espicially, like others have said, his work rate is immense and i think he is easily the best crosser of the ball we have. He has to play Friday. I expect him and Wes to be recalled to the team with Vokes and Jackson upfront

[quote user="chicken"]First off, hefty price tag - undisclosed, the amount rumoured is the amount Wolves paid for him so personaly I think it wont be as much as the £1.5million people have mentioned.

[/quote]

£600k

See the latest NCFC Plc Accounts and you will understand that the amount is nowhere near the £1m+ that has been talked about.