Sign in to follow this  
MisterCarrow

Are we watching the best football we've ever played?

Supporting Norwich since ''85 I have witnessed the Brown, Stringer and Walker era''s of the late 80''s early 90''s but I think the style of football we are playing at the moment is some of best I have seen. I know the level we are playing at is not top flight but you can''t argue that at times this season we have stroked the ball around the pitch better than any other time in our history. Last time we got promoted from this league we used to give the ball to Huckerby and let him run with it but this season it is more of a team effort from back to front. Whitbread and Ward seem comfortable coming forward with ball, midfield retain possession well and hold on to the ball rarely giving it away  and Hoolahan links up nicely with front two. Lambert has organised a well oiled machine of  footballers, footballers in the very sense of the word. What do others think? Are being spoilt?

[quote user="MisterCarrow"] correction ''Are we being spoilt?'' [/quote]Nah, just enjoy it while it lasts. We have had enough crap football server up to us in recent years!I think, man for man, this is the best squad for some time.

[quote user="MisterCarrow"] I know the level we are playing at is not top flight but you can''t argue that at times this season we have stroked the ball around the pitch better than any other time in our history.  What do others think? Are being spoilt?[/quote]

No Mr Carrow, its been decent enough but I have seen much better in the past. its been a good two seasons but the quality of the oppostion is not comparable with our Premiership years.

[quote user="paul moy"]We played our best football in 1993 IMO. Hopefully one day we will emulate that.[/quote]Its interesting to make the comparison between top flight football then, and what it is now. I think the playing field was a lot more level then, and we will never ever emulate such success again. Thats not being negative, simply realistic.A club of our comparative size will never finish that high in the Premiership whilst oil barons and money rich owners dominate.

Completely agree Mister Carrow. I have been watching since 1985 also and can''t remember playing as much good football, as a team, as we do now.

1993 - did Gunny, Butterworth, Polston and Newman stroke the ball about as comfortably as our centre backs and keeper do now? Er, no!

1993 period was fantastic, but when you watch football back even 15 years ago, let alone 20+, you realise how much slower it was and the football wasn''t always as great as we think. Sure, we all know about the great points, but it wasn''t like that for 90 minutes.

Watch a game on ESPN classic and you will see what I mean!

[quote user="flecky76"]Completely agree Mister Carrow. I have been watching since 1985 also and can''t remember playing as much good football, as a team, as we do now. 1993 - did Gunny, Butterworth, Polston and Newman stroke the ball about as comfortably as our centre backs and keeper do now? Er, no! 1993 period was fantastic, but when you watch football back even 15 years ago, let alone 20+, you realise how much slower it was and the football wasn''t always as great as we think. Sure, we all know about the great points, but it wasn''t like that for 90 minutes. Watch a game on ESPN classic and you will see what I mean![/quote]

The thing is regardless of whether football is faster now, we were playing great football in 93 and competing at the very top of the sport. We''re playing great football now which is a joy to watch but it''s still in the second tier. Impossible to compare the two as things have moved on but i know that most of my proudest momments as a Norwich fan are based around the first Walker era.