Sign in to follow this  
Splendid Rush

Optimistic Media Rhetoric

Is it just me or is anyone else sick of picking up the paper and reading some battle cry or other from Worthy or one of the squad bigging themselves up in a motivational outburst?  It would be fine, but to play like they have in the last couple of weeks and then proclaim "We can still do it!, I''m still good! etc." is frankly embarrassing.

Worthington says "We will stay up!".  Fleming says "We''ll fight them on the pitches!" (when you say fighting Craig, do you mean let them waltz through on goal unchallenged?)  Brennan (Brennan!  Like he can talk!) says "We''ll fight all the way! (but not in the last couple of weeks).  Today I pick up my copy of Metro and read Ashton proclaiming "I think with a few more games I will be a lot more sharply on to them."  Well done Dean, that''s almost a sentence.

It is annoying that their fondness for gobbing off to journalists is not matched by their desire on the pitch.  Whatever happened to doing their talking on the pitch?  Until we see a marked improvement in attitude and effort on a Saturday afternoon, all of these statements seem ridiculous, and are good for absolutely nothing.

Rant over.

Splendid Rush...whilst I agree essentially with what you are saying I do think you''re being a bit harsh on Dean Ashton.  I mean the guy has been here for not even ten days yet, has played in one game (albeit not a very good one, although I believe he emerged with some credit at least), and is having to get used to having microphones and the like shoved in his direction at every opportunity.  I speak in front of people on a daily basis but I''m not sure I would cope at all well being plunged into the spotlight like that for the first time.  What he said makes sense to me and doesn''t, I believe, merit derision.  That said, I would definitely would like to see far more fire in certain bellies come this weekend and a lot less suggestion of believing the hype rather than acting on it.  We shall see!  (Actually, if I were Worthy, I would have imposed a media blackout for a few days after the Villa game, until the obligatory press day, just to give people time to get their heads together without the intrusion.  Thoughts anyone?)

OK Susie, I accept your point that it was a cheap shot on Deano and a bit harsh, but essentially my point remains, don''t talk about it, just do it on the pitch!  These promises seem a tad desperate and are wearing thin.

I do agree with you Splendid Rush to a point.  Time after time you see and hear the players mouthing off in the papers and deep down we are saying to ourselves "yeah yeah yeah" cos we know next game we will get beat again.  Why the players like to set themselves up for these falls I never know.  I know they like to breed confidence in the supporters but most times we can see through this knowing we havent got a cats hell of a chance of beating Arsenal, Chelsea just because Flem, Greeno has been in the EDP two days before.  Still if they did not talk to the press we would all get bored as there would be no headlines to read on our fav pink un site.  

Half the time it''s becuase there''s nothing else to write about. I don''t know about anyone else but I''m getting tired of Rick Waghorn''s endless articles about the problems at the other clubs around us, like that alone will be enough to keep us up. Christ he even thought we''d finish top six this season