Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

The "teams who have nothing to play are easier" myth ?

Seen a lot of posts that subscribe to this view - or alternatively that teams who are in a promotion, play off, relegation fight are more difficult because they have got something to play for. Well I don''t know what the stats are but beware teams that are mid table, safe and under no pressure. 

I agree completely, teams in mid-table positions now are safe from relegation, they aren''t going to get to the play-offs and probably have one eye on next season. The players can just enjoy their football.

dont forget friendships/rivalrys if someone is playing against a team who could pip a friend to promotion or relegation he''s going to want to help him out by scoring or playing a blinder... even though his own team have nothing to play for

[quote user="Gibbo"]Fulham 6 - 0 Nowich...[/quote]

Now there''s a story behind this one - the players were on a big win bonus from Al-Fayed.

I can''t remeber the exacts but by beating us they would guarantee X finishing position and a guaranteed payout from the Premier League and said Egyptian National offered the players a share out if they achieved this.

I think the key word is "easier".

It doesn''t mean that if you play a team in mid-table, it''s no contest and you''re guaranteed a win.  If you gift them a goal or two, especially if they are basically a better team than you, you''ll still lose.

But I think it is true that a team with no incentive to play are easier.  The players don''t want to pick up an injury, they just want to do enough and get away to their summer holidays.

A prime example would be NC at home to Carlisle at the end of last season.  They were a team we would have taken to bits if it mattered.  But we gave away a couple of awful goals early on.  It was pretty obvious our team weren''t too bothered about getting back into it. 

For our final 3 games, I think we have a definite advantage that the result doesn''t matter to the other side. 

On the other hand teams will try to attack as they have nothing to play for. That will allow us to get at them better. I would rather not play a team looking for a point who park the bus. Historically this season we haven''t managed to break that sort of approach down. If we play our natural style and teams dont come to defend I think our class will shine through.

The key ,when playing these sides is to score the first goal in the game. Whilst they have something to hold onto , they will put put in the effort, but once they go behind, that''s the real test of whther they have they appeitite for getting back into the game or whther their minds are "on the beach"

There has been many occasions over the years where team have come to Carra Rud late in the season needing to win or whatever reason. I can remember us scuttling many a promition/relegation bid. You wouldn''t expect any team with "nothing to play for" to roll over and die would you?

Players play for new contracts or moves away or to show their manager they''re good enough. Also the time of year when hungry young players can be drafted into the squad (a la Carson at the scum).

In a weird way, I almost fear teams more who have nothing to play for as they''re more relaxed and there''s no pressure on them