Sign in to follow this  
Legend Iwan

Birds of a Feather Flock Together

what a load of tosh, typical little old norwich, no we don''t want more people coming coz they aren''t real fans.

No we don;t want a 35,000 seater stadium, wheres the ambition.

We would fill a stadium that large and the atmosphere would be great, plus the extra revenue. If we ever want to push forward then we need to be in the premiership and expand the stadium.

A lack of ambition like that deserve to go back to the doomcaster and rodent days.

[quote user="paulo79"]what a load of tosh, typical little old norwich, no we don''t want more people coming coz they aren''t real fans.

No we don;t want a 35,000 seater stadium, wheres the ambition.

We would fill a stadium that large and the atmosphere would be great, plus the extra revenue. If we ever want to push forward then we need to be in the premiership and expand the stadium.

A lack of ambition like that deserve to go back to the doomcaster and rodent days.[/quote]Completely agree with that.Another thing I think is bollocks:"
If a City fan was ever to be asked what kind of

goal they would desire to see I’d back the answer to be “the perfect

goal” nine times out of ten. Now if you decided to carry out a poll

across the other Championship and Premiership sides, I doubt you would

see such a unanimous backing. Can you imagine Stoke supporters wanting

to see a passage of passing being played before hitting the back of the

net?"This is just ridiculous. If you polled every football fan in the country, regardless of club, 10 out of 10 would rather see a ''perfect goal''. Just because Stoke play long ball football, it doesn''t mean their fans enjoy it. They would obviously rather see their team play ''proper football''.

Interesting reactions.

Thoughtful blog definitely thought provoking. I''d been comparing the frustration of watching us at times try to thread the eye of the needle gooners with what I assume at times to be the fear of just shooting. There''s a "stilted" approach at times as opposed to the periods when we seem more relaxed and natural.

Fans v. paying spectator debate. It will go on and on and on. There''s a natural "protectionism" by some who have supported the club since being in the womb, they don''t like people coming along who don''t have the same level of "investment" and calling themselves fans.

Cheers all three for the comments. Itstheruddyfuture got it spot on with his assertion that it was intended to be thought-provoking. And it seems I’ve reached one side at least.

In relation to Paul, I don’t actually mention if I’m for or against an expansion, merely what result it would have on the atmosphere etc. Considering the amount of people on here who complain about the noise inside Carrow Road from certain segments I think it is a valid question to be asking.

Also, WWIAFTM I reckon you would actually get a response of, “I don’t care how we score as long as we get a goal,” from a lot of people whereas Norwich would be that little bit different. But maybe that would be my green and yellow tinted glasses view on our club.

As I said cheers for taking your time to read it.

Comments are always welcome.

I think the theme of your blog is very interesting as it deals with the identity of our club which is something I find quite fascinating. I wrote a piece on identity in [url=http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/2416009/ShowPost.aspx]this thread[/url] linking it to Barca and using it as an excuse to share an excellent article on Xavi in the main forum [;)].

In truth there is no right way or wrong way to play football and the way that some people dismiss the achievements of teams such as Stoke are just a form of snobbery. But from a long term point of view it is difficult to see how you can build a lasting legacy when so much of your success has been based on the fact that you happen to have a bloke playing for you who can throw it a long way.

I often feel that some clubs (and their fans) take a very short term view of what it is to be successful and whilst five year plans and the like are often laughed off as excuses for failure sometimes we should be brave enough to take our time. I''ve read countless posts over the past two or three months that have warned how this is our best ever chance of a return to the top flight and we should break the bank to bring in new signings (those same people used to enjoy claiming that playing like Stoke was the only way to get out of this division). But such views don''t really hold up to any scrutiny. There is no real reson why we couldn''t keep this squad together in the event of us not being promoted this year and using any available funds to strengthen it. And there is no reason why

I would also argue that a club which has a strong identity is ideally placed to extend their ground and attract more new fans. Clubs who seek a short term fix to reach the top flight but have no real plans in place to continue to improve will never hold on to the fans who are first attracted by new found success. We could build something really special at Carrow Road as long as we all hold our nerve.

The thing is an extension in capacity does not necessarily mean "new" fans coming in, it could just be existing fans coming more regularly. Presumably we`d see an increase in the season ticket cap to 25k or so which on current evidence would be sold.

Also, i`ve travelled for hours across the country enough times only to be surrounded by green+yellow clad dummies who whinge when people stand up at exciting times to know that "new" fans will not necessarily be less passionate than some of the ones we have already.

A big part of our current success is the ditching of Doncasters little norwich outlook- we`ve gone from "we can`t compete" to "we bloody well will compete" and that, along with the obvious fact that we have the potential to grow into a very sizable club indeed, is incredibly inspiring.

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]

Cheers all three for the comments. Itstheruddyfuture got it spot on with his assertion that it was intended to be thought-provoking. And it seems I’ve reached one side at least.

In relation to Paul, I don’t actually mention if I’m for or against an expansion, merely what result it would have on the atmosphere etc. Considering the amount of people on here who complain about the noise inside Carrow Road from certain segments I think it is a valid question to be asking.

Also, WWIAFTM I reckon you would actually get a response of, “I don’t care how we score as long as we get a goal,” from a lot of people whereas Norwich would be that little bit different. But maybe that would be my green and yellow tinted glasses view on our club.

As I said cheers for taking your time to read it.

Comments are always welcome.

[/quote]In response your reply to Paul, I doubt a stadium increase would lead to a worse atmosphere. In fact, it would probably improve. Just because the additional fans might not be as passionate, it doesn''t mean they wouldn''t sing or get involved. And even if only a small percentage make some noise, it would be a boost.As for your comment to me, I think most fans would rather score a load of ugly goals than a few beautiful ones, whether they are Norwich fans or Stoke fans. But, in an ideal world, every fan would like to see their team score lots of attractive goals. Just because a team is playing in a certain style at the moment, it just reflects the manager and the resources available, not the attitude of the fans towards the style of football.

Cheers Mr Carrow and Shack for your replies. It''s nice for people to converse on the matter instead of a single line reply. WWIAFTM thanks again. If you read the bottom line of the piece I do actually say that I think people would get involved and become indoctrinated with the singing and all things City. In relation to my reply to you, I''d say I would rather enjoy watching a great goal than ugly, but maybe that''s just me. And for Norwich I think it is something we''ve been lucky enough to enjoy for a number of seasons. Can you remember the last long-ball merchant manager we had? I feel the managers who have been brought in over the last few years are ones that fit into ''our'' style of eye catching football. Otherwise surely we would have had Aidy Boothroyd in charge by now?

Cheers for the comments again.

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]

Cheers Mr Carrow and Shack for your replies. It''s nice for people to converse on the matter instead of a single line reply. WWIAFTM thanks again. If you read the bottom line of the piece I do actually say that I think people would get involved and become indoctrinated with the singing and all things City. In relation to my reply to you, I''d say I would rather enjoy watching a great goal than ugly, but maybe that''s just me. And for Norwich I think it is something we''ve been lucky enough to enjoy for a number of seasons. Can you remember the last long-ball merchant manager we had? I feel the managers who have been brought in over the last few years are ones that fit into ''our'' style of eye catching football. Otherwise surely we would have had Aidy Boothroyd in charge by now?

Cheers for the comments again.

[/quote]Yeah, it certainly applies to me too, and I''m guessing it applies to everyone. However, if you offered me a 1-1 draw at Ipswich tomorrow with a goal from a move that contained 15 passes followed by a 25-yard Hoolahan volley into the top corner, or a 2-1 win thanks to an own goal and a ball bouncing in off Grant Holt''s arse in the six-yard box, I know which I''d rather have- and it includes having three points.Saying that though, I wouldn''t want a manager to play long ball football, regardless of whether it might be more successful. If we go up, I''d rather Lambert built a team of technical players trying to pass the ball, like West Brom have always done, rather than filling the squad with giants and relying on set pieces and long balls like Stoke.

[quote user="Brighton Yellow"]Anyone seen what Lille are up to at the moment? Seems to be a very impressive plan from which many could learn lessons from...[/quote]

What plan do they have? They are having an impressive season at the moment and the win last night was deserved but,I wait to see how well Lille do next season when players such as Hazard are sold to Man Utd/Chelsea.