Sign in to follow this  
Carlos Valderrama

Players to get if we do go up...

Sorry, looked for the existing thread and couldnt find it.

Watched the City v Forest game last night on the Sky+ and must say how impressed I was with Lewis McGugan. If we are promoted I think he should be a must purchase. Would be absolutely perfect on the right hand side of the diamond.

Shane Long, David Nugent & Neil Kilkenny are all out of contract this summer. All three would add to our squad in my opinion, although can''t comment on their personalities/etc which have proven to be key to Lambert.

We need a more experienced striker from a good European team, a good solid central defender and a quality winger. (Bennett??)

Also Lansbury for the season.

Kebe as the winger, i think he has enough class to make it in the prem. Jason Koumas, always been a quuality player, brilliant back up player.

Probably about 5 or 6 new faces I reckon. A goalkeeper, a right back (purely as cover), a central defender (again to add competition), a right winger and two strikers. Given that I would expect Gill, Askou, Tudur Jones, Hughes, Johnson, McNamee and possibly one of McDonald or Martin to move on. It would mean the squad wouldnt be too large and would posses a lot more quality.

Honestly dont know who we should be aiming for. But probably a similiar tactic to the one employed this year. Sign up some talented and hungry players from league 1 and the championship. They can step up. I think Matt Phillips who Blackpool got fromWycombe has looked really dangerous at times this season. Surprised they havent utilised him more. So players of that mould. Possibly Alex Smithies of Huddersfield in the goalkeeping area although he would cost a fair bit. As for wingers we have probably missed the boat with Bennett and my other shout would have been Pilkington but he has picked up a serious injury. Up front I would rather gamble on a Shane Long, Danny Graham or McKail Smith (somone of that ilk anyway). Rather than a has been or a Carlos Kickaballs as Alan Sugar coined it.

A goalkeeper Jacko??? The last position on my list to change, and I would have thought of most on here too.

[quote user="CanaryJames"]Shane Long, David Nugent & Neil Kilkenny are all out of contract this summer. All three would add to our squad in my opinion, although can''t comment on their personalities/etc which have proven to be key to Lambert.[/quote]

Long and Nugent would probably be quite nice signings but I don''t think Kilkenny is anything to get excited about.

As it goes I think there must be a decent chance of Wolves signing Long to play upfront with his fellow Irishman and former colleague- Kevin Doyle.

Especially given that Long seems to have found the knack of scoring goals which is something that Doyle doesn''t really have, good player though.

I think Gera is available on a free as well. Would defenitely go for him as he has that play-making ability.

goalkeeper would be the first id think, ruddy then 2 untried youngsters, would like to see someone like freidel or given come in and send one of the younger keepers out on loan.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]A goalkeeper Jacko??? The last position on my list to change, and I would have thought of most on here too.
[/quote]

Wouldn''t be the last position I would change.

Ruddy is good but not great.

Good shout for Koumas and he can play in the Hoolahan role. Massive fan of Shane Long, think he would be the perfect partner for Holt.

Although Jackson impressed me against Forest. Clearly the more minutes the boy plays the better he is getting.

Jamie O''Hara, the boy is class.

Spurs wont want him next season. If wolves go down he wont want to stay there.

Danny Graham please... I hear QPR are going to be after him too. Just hope Malky convinces him to come to us (providing they''ll let him go).

For anyone watching the QPR yesterday, I wonder if anyone had the same thought as me. At one point the cameras switched to Peter Crouch siiting watching the game and the thought crossed my mind that the money men at QPR had "invited him along" to warm him to the prospect of joining QPR in the Premiership next season. Let''s face it, despite their points level and superior goal difference QPR are not exactly well equipped in the goal scoring department, particularly if Taarabt can be kept quiet ( as he was yesterday and will be in the Premiership ). Also, Helgusson will be 34 in a couple of months. 

Defo a goalkeeper, Ruddy in the last few games has been poor and his shot stopping when the ball is close to his body is non-existant, He is too slow getting down to the ball and he only half stops them.

Right back as cover, central defender as cover. Lansbury back on loan. Shane Long and Kevin Doyle.

How about one name for the goalkeepr, Shay Given. Wants to leave and was prepared to drop down a division earlier in the season but Citeh wouldn''t let him. Offer £2m and we would have a good chance.

Fabio Borini and Shane Given to start with.

Then have a close look at the PFA teams of the year for Champs, L1 anf L2.

CMS and Bennett both made the L1 PFA team, so their fellow professionals rate them like Lambert who evidently judges that they would make it in the Prem.

OTBC

OTBC

[quote user="chicken"]I think Gera is available on a free as well. Would defenitely go for him as he has that play-making ability.
[/quote]

Gera would be on my shopping list too. He''s desperate to leave Fulham due to lack of opportunities, he said that many times, and he is also a proven goalscorer at that level.

Borini (should have got him before Swansea) and Shane Long. Danny Graham would also be nice. The young hugry types desperate to prove themselves and fit in with the current system.

John Carew could be shipped out from villa some everton players will have to be sold but we will probably have to "break the bank" so to say to get some and im thinking of Hugo rodallega or N''Zogbia if wigan get relegated but will cost a fair slice of the bugetAs a potentialy good player (up front) Dale Jennings of tranmere under 20 years and dose look a decent talaent (but he wont leave cheaply)

[quote user="CDMullins"]Jamie O''Hara, the boy is class. Spurs wont want him next season. If wolves go down he wont want to stay there.[/quote]

Not a bad shout that[Y]

A big strong central midfield player is a must IMHO. Although we look good going forward in midfield, defensively we are still suspect. We have shipped too many goals this season and that will need to improve dramatically next season if we are to survive.

A quality right back is needed too. Martin started the season superbly but he seems to have trailed off a bit in recent weeks.

i think i would get shane long or ricky lambert in as a striker (or both) and a goalkeeper as i think ruddy isnt up to it in the prem so i would consider ross turnbull or get declan rudd as our number 1

This thread would be more relevant if it was called "Players not to get rid of if we go up"

We (i.e. Worthy) made the cardinal sin last time of ditching players (espescially the one called Malky) that would have probably kept us in the Premier League.

Let''s get promotion first & then sort out what we''ve got before we start fantasising about what players may or may not be available.

[quote user="Making Plans"]

This thread would be more relevant if it was called "Players not to get rid of if we go up"

We (i.e. Worthy) made the cardinal sin last time of ditching players (espescially the one called Malky) that would have probably kept us in the Premier League.

Let''s get promotion first & then sort out what we''ve got before we start fantasising about what players may or may not be available.

[/quote]

So Making Plans you actually recommend not making plans?

[;)]

OTBC