Sign in to follow this  
bananaman

Hucks: Striker or winger? Vote here!

NEITHER.

Stringer. I think Hucks is best given freedom. The debate is whether we can accomodate that at this level.

A striker, not a natural finisher but a striker nonetheless. And even less a left midfielder.

OTBC

Hucks always seems to be more effective when cutting in diagonally from the wing towards the penalty area.

That way he goes across the defenders dragging them out of position and tempting them into bringing him down if he beats them.

Hugging the line standard wing play only results in him being crowded out by the two or three defenders that always appear to mark him resulting in no chance of crossing.

So my answer to the thread question is perhaps a combination of both !

striker. all about giving him the ball in dangerous areas. Not in a stationery position with oppositions right back and right midfilder standing in front of him.

Let him drift out wide and then Damo''s job to get in the box, and right midfield and left midfield.

Can''t afford the no cover that the left back has been getting.

He aint a winger for me.  I understand the arguement about him coming in from the left but he''s only really effective when he drifts out there and not when he is playing there.

So I would play him as a striker, as every other club he has been at have played him. Don''t forget he was his most potent at Coventry as a striker.

he''s a wide forward and therefore can''t be classified as neither a 100% winger (because that implies he is covering the flanks defensively which he rarely does) or a 100% striker (which he isn''t because he hugs the byline and doesn''t support the main striker).

Doherty, Svensson, McKenzie and Ashton have all suffered due to isolation up front but pull Huckerby inside and you compromise his mean threat.

we have to play 4-3-2 + Huckerby. 

Striker - Hucks plays out far too wide and stands out like a sore thumb out on the wing. Yes we all know of his dribbling capabilities but I feel if he was playing just behind the front TWO (not one), he would be more anonymous and much more effective going forward. As it is, he is being marked out of every game with up three defenders on him as soon as he gets the ball. I say give him a bit of freedom.

OTBC

i dont care where he playes......

Hes sets up goals, he scores goals..............

EVERYONES HAPPY

[quote]i dont care where he playes...... Hes sets up goals, he scores goals.............. EVERYONES HAPPY[/quote]

I care where he plays.
I think his current position is unbalancing the team on the left and up front and not taking full advantage of his full potential. I''d like to see him either as a full striker alongside Ashton, or behind the front two, making himself as difficult to pick up as possible.

I`ve been saying for weeeks now that Hucks  should be given  a centre forward position  !   now the chips are down  it seems this  viewpoint is being taken up  by others !! .....  Hucks has done a job on the left , but his many crosses have been largely wasted  by the strikers  , if we continue unchanged  [ even with some of the injured returning ]   we could well have a repitition  of the first half of the season    with Hucks  you never know  what or where  he`s going to go , and he`s bloody quick doing it !!  ..... I can see him and  Ashton  forming  a partnership   .... Hucks experience and Ashtons  enthusiasm and goal poaching attitude   could well keep us in the prem  ...... 

ps   hasn`t anybody noticed yet  ? , whilst so many other players  are  being skittled over with injuries  . Hucks [ fingers crossed ]  still keeps marching on  , despite the  " attentions "  of  desperate defenders ....... never get complacent  about this  , he`s a survivor 

Hucks is most effective when he has a free run of the park - switching wings, popping up in the penalty area and making a major nussaince of himself. When he''s got no set position it also means he''s practically impossible to mark which would be a nightmare for defenders.

The only problem with that of course is that we''re not good enough to play with a three man midfield or a sole striker. Until we''re good enough to play that way then I fear Huckerby will never be as effective as he can be.

Perhaps he''s a stringer, but then again he could be a winker... I''ll just put him down as an enigma that only Worther''s is permitted to fathom out - alas he seems to be taking his time about it..?!