Sign in to follow this  
nobbyg

Lack of a leader, the required formation and some pleas......

LEADER

Without doubt we are lacking a leader both on and off the pitch.  There is no fight, or shouting or determination.  We have lost Malky and Iwan''s prescence in terms of stature.  Iwan would not have survived in this league, Malky may have done (a different argument) but we have nothing in terms of character anywhere on the pitch.  Every player is in their own little performance world and no one to tell them a few home truths out in the battle.

We have no player in any position who dominates anything.  We have no big tackle winner anywhere on the pitch.  Docherty is the biggest bloke out there and barely registers a whisper and as for Damo being the new Patrick Viera....... how many tackles a game does he win?

CONFIDENCE

I popped in to see my mother on the way home form Villa and she was watching last season''s higlights DVD to cheer herself up.  I sat and watch Nov to Jan and was amzed at what I saw.  McVeigh and Huckerby involved in everything, Damo going crazy with passion after scoring that Rotherham 4 all equaliser and the confidence of Drury was unbelievable.

FORMATION:

Get Huckerby back upfront, allow him to drift left at least it causes some confusion. Does the centre half follow him or pass him over to the full back. At least he shouldn''t get the ball stationery with doubled up marking.

The left midfielder then comes inside in a McVeigh style when Huckerby drifts.

Then Damo''s job to get in the box to join in with Ashton. 

Gives the full backs protection when we are defending and allows them to join in - in a Hucks Drury Mcveigh combination!

Brennan needs to do the Holt/Helveg role and be the patroller.

Green

Eddy     Flem Doherty  Drury

Jonson  Brennan  Francis McVeigh

Ashton   Huckerby

PLEAS

Plea to Worthy - watch the highlights from last season and get the players to do the same.

Plea to McVeigh - stay away from all drinking establishments (get yourself a jigsaw hobby or soemething) and get your huge talent back out onto the pitch.  Don''t waste your career in a Keith O''Neill style.

Plea to Damo - COME ON! Impose yourself and stop going missing.

Plea to Holt - get fit soon, you had a lot of citics but we didn''t look as inept with you in there and opposition midfielders didn''t score as many goals against us. (Brown, Lampard, Hendrie).

I am replying to my own post to get it up the board as it currently languishes on page 3.  That is what happens when you post on a Sunday.

I''m glad someone has the insight to look past Damo''s goals and notice that he barely shows up on the radar for 70 mins of every game.

I agree with the leadership thing too.

I agree with the Huckerby up front thing.

In fact, I agree with it all - well done.

Good post Nobby!!! we''re too laid back in the verbals all over the field, short of passion, and application and as has been said before many times; we don''t get to the ball first, win it, and keep it.  The defence are like snails in disappearing into their shells only to surface in the six yard area.  Wiz says that we must get behind the team, and that is right! the trouble is we''ed all be standing on Robert Greens toes on the goal line waiting for something to happen!!! OTBC!!!

its understandable that we lack confidence. if your running away with the division 1 title why wouldnt you have confidence? when you are getting beaten heavily and in consecutive games then wheres the confidence going to come from. i agree with your post though

Play Huckerby up yeh?? what exactly will happen when he drifts out to the left? All the midfielders bombing forward to score goals....or Ashton working like a dog to get some scraps and every now and again Francis making a late run?? from experience it will be the second of the two.

I''ve always thought we look more dangerous with 2 up front exc Hucks and Inc Leon.....so

midfield of:   Jonson,  Helveg / Safri / Holt / NOT mulryne, Francis,  Huckerby

Forwards                             Ashton       Mckenzie

Would like to see this lineup considering injuries and all the opinions stated.

.............................................Green...........................................................

..........................Flem.............Doc.............Shack..............................

Eddie...........................................................................Brennan

..........................Jonson......................Francis.....................................

.........................................Hucks.......................................................

..........................Ashton........................Crow.................................

A team with Hucks can never play 4-4-2 so forget it and play wingbacks and give him a free role behind the strikers.

Hurrah!

Once again it''s let''s knock Damien ''Best Midfielder at the Club'' Francis.

What games do you people watch?

If you want to talk about people going missing during games, go watch Helveg. He goes missing as often as his ''passes''. Ditto David Bentley.

If you want to see people missing tackles, go watch Mulryne. Great player given time and space, but who creates that. Yup, Francis.

Jonson ? Improving, but not exactly a goal scoring threat is he?

Honestly... I really don''t think Gary Holt is Premiership quality, BUT if the likes of Helveg, Bentley and Mulryne had half his bottle, we might get somewhere.

I exempt Safri from this because I don''t feel he''s had a real chance to prove himself, and Hucks because he is Hucks and the Chosen One.

But the others? They could learn a thing or two from Damo.

confidence needs to come from pride in their own and the teams performance - even if we do get beaten.  a realisation that when they do play and try we almost deserve to be in this league for more than one season.

against Tottenham we looked really good for 57 minutes but against Villa we looked like a div1 team away in the FA cup expecting a hammering.

we all now they can do alot better and that is the frustrating thing. relegation or no relegation as long as they give it their all.

Wandering Somep... (I guess your login is too long for my browser) - I''m not deliberately knocking Francis, and I''m certainly not saying he''s not good.

He has the talent to be a top premiership player, but people need to see the bigger picture. Yes, he scores goals which is a very valuable commodity, but imagine how good he could be if he was involved in the whole game, not just 50% to 75%?

I''m sure one of the reasons Holt suffered so much was because Damien had "wandered off" for a few minutes and poor old Holty was chasing every opposition player around the middle third of the field for half the game!

He can be our best all-action midfielder since Townsend, but needs to keep stuck in at all times. PS - agree about Mulryne''s bottle, but not Helveg. He is not a player that needs to rely on "bottle", his talent enables him to rely on skill.

[quote]Hurrah! Once again it''s let''s knock Damien ''Best Midfielder at the Club'' Francis. What games do you people watch? If you want to talk about people going missing during games, go watch Helveg. He go...[/quote]

Wandering Someplace West: Jeez, what a gob full mate. 

However, you''re dead right apart from your Helveg insults!. I despair sometimes, that some ''fans'' on here, just don''t know what they''re looking at.

Perhaps they have never attended a game in their lives before?.

As you so rightly surmise, that in Damien, we have possibly, one of the most gifted and talented players we''ve had here for years.

And I would rather see Greeno go, than him. That''s how high I rate him, and yes, I love Greeno too!.

And he''s now being criticised by some of you, unbelievable!.

I''ll reiterate the point I was making, and I''m sure the initial poster meant too.

Potential - Damien has the potential to be a BIG prem player. Edworthy is an example of someone playing above his potential as a mediocre player, imagine if Damien could reach his full potential.

He could be REALLY special.

Norwich do lack a leader on the pitch. Worthingtons first priority should be to get an experianced central defender or midfield general to lead and motivate the team. The team captain should be a commanding player in the middle of the pitch.
As a lot of people have said Drury was the wrong chioce on both counts. If

[quote]I''ll reiterate the point I was making, and I''m sure the initial poster meant too. Potential - Damien has the potential to be a BIG prem player. Edworthy is an example of someone playing above his pot...[/quote]

I''ll reiterate my point as well then bananaman.

I believe Damien is really a special player!. 

Damo has shown us glimpses of what he can do for us but he is not alone in being there for the full match - he has the ability to dominate a game but does not always do so. This is very apparent since he came back from injury and I am sure that his is conscious about it. This will fade and his performances improve soon.

However there is no doubt in my mind that so far this season he has been our most influential, consistent and best midfielder. However like Bananaman I do think there is more to come, probably next season and beyond.

OTBC

I too believe that Damo has been probably our best player this season. I just want to see more of him.  I want to see him win a big tackle and drive forward whilst shouting at everyone.

We need a big player and we haven''t got one - he should be that man.

Arsenal - Viera
Chelsea - Terry
Man Utd - Keane
Liverpool - Gerrard

Who is our player that when things are going wrong takes it as a personal insult and grits his teeth and makes something happen.

I am no way exempting anyone else from this criticism but Damo is a fine physical specimen of a man (!!?!) and should be out there covering every blade of grass.

In his spells when he plays he can be immense.  I just want to see him have 50 touchs not 25.

Superb point above...Edworthy does play above his "ability".  Damo doesn''t, Keith O''Neill never did, Paul McVeigh struggles in this area, but Malky never did.

It all comes back to what Worthy told Bentley about ability and working hard. 

Don''t hide your true talent by settling for mediocrity.

As for not watching a game that is brilliant - I can''t remember seeing any grown men wearing pointy hats and carrying wands at either West Ham or Villa. 

[quote]I too believe that Damo has been probably our best player this season. I just want to see more of him. I want to see him win a big tackle and drive forward whilst shouting at everyone. We need a big...[/quote]

Then open your bloody eyes a bit more Nobby.

You might be amazed at what you''ve missed!.

[quote]I too believe that Damo has been probably our best player this season. I just want to see more of him. I want to see him win a big tackle and drive forward whilst shouting at everyone. We need a big...[/quote]

True

But we must remember even the most inexperienced players in that quartet have been playing international and premiership football for five years. Francis has been in the premiership for five months. I saw both Gerrard and Terry struggle in their first season or two.

Keane has played top class football for 15 years, Vierra has won the world cup.

I think it''s a lot to ask a lad who was at Wimbledon 18 months ago to match that!

But give it time, and maybe he will