I have noticed on these boards recently that Mullers has came in for a fair bit of stick.

Now, I for one, like Mullers. I think he is obviously a yard (or three) off the pace at this moment in time and on his performances of late he doesn''t warrant his place in the starting XI.

However, I can remember Mullers playing some blinding games for Norwich and his range of passing is far better than any other player we have at the club at the moment or have had since Crook. I think it was Gillingham last year when he came on at half time and changed the game and I think we went on to win 3-0. Also, people forget that our first win this season coincided with Mullers return to the side.

So I''d like to know if people on this board generally don''t think that he has the ability to cope at this level or if its just his fitness/attitude that is lacking. I say its the latter - he has the ability just not the fitness.

I haven''t liked him since I saw him play against Southampton at home; he was by far the worst player on the pitch. He just lost the ball every time it came near him, and his passing was poor too. I can''t see him making it at this level, and in an ideal situation we''d play Safri instead of him, or failing that, Holt.

He is becoming the next Mark Rivers - except Mulryne actually has some skill. If he could shed some weight and develop his fitness, he would merit a place in the 1st XI.

Personally I dream of the day Worthy pays up the remaining 6 months of Mullers contract and gives him a free transfer to Barnet, because that is the level he''s good for. He is a professional on fantastic money for God''s sake and he has been an absolute disgrace most of this season. If he can''t get himself fit then he shouldn''t be anywhere near the first team. I honestly hope he played his last ever game for us against Villa. Pathetic.  

WN, you are usually "on the button" at spotting underperforming players.

Can you tell me the last game Mullers was influential in?

Can you tell me the last defence-splitting pass Mullers played?

Can you tell me the last time Mullers displayed his Crook-like "range of passing"?

Can you remember the last attack he broke up when we needed him?

Can you remember the last goal he scored, not including assists from refs (even though it was a blinding goal!)?

For me it is no coincidence that some of our worst performances have coincided with Mullers in the middle. The bloke has some ability but so rarely applies himself and that famed passing ability for me has passed into the history books, I cant recall when mullers last had a positive impact on a city performance.

I doubted that he had the ability to perform at this standard and what I have seen has not made me change my mind. We should not be surprised as he was not first choice last season so why should he shine this?

As I have posted elsewhere Mullers sits only abover Brennan in the midfield order of merit. Unfortunately he is a championship player only.

OTBC

sorry but mullers has been given so many chancers that know he needs to be sold and move on ,passing and tackling are very poor ,if you watch him he lays on the floor  when he goes in for a tackle .

[quote]He is becoming the next Mark Rivers - except Mulryne actually has some skill. If he could shed some weight and develop his fitness, he would merit a place in the 1st XI.[/quote]

exactly mulryle has just got to loose some poinds and regain his fitness and he can return to be the quality player he is.every one is sayin he cant make it at this level.they are wrong,on his day his passing and crossing of the ball is excellent

[quote]WN, you are usually "on the button" at spotting underperforming players. Can you tell me the last game Mullers was influential in? Can you tell me the last defence-splitting pass Mullers played? Ca...[/quote]

I agree Bananaman, his form for about a year and a half hasn''t been what I expect from anyone wearing the sacred yellow shirt. However, I have still seen glimpses that he is a good player. As I posted originally, I don''t think he deserves a place in the team as his performances have been poor, but I think this is more due to fitness than a lack of ability.

No but really, I wasn''t being rhetorical, I genuinely wanted to know the answers to my questions!!

I honestly cannot remember the last time Phil Mulryne made me say "that''s why he''s ex-Man Utd".

In fact, apart from dead balls around the area, I''m not sure I have ever said those words.

Sadly his passing has gone from being fantastic to atrocious. Possible because he has less time in the premiership and hurries his passing. He was dire at villa and he will need to seriously pull his finger out if he wants to stay

[quote]WN, you are usually "on the button" at spotting underperforming players. Can you tell me the last game Mullers was influential in? Can you tell me the last defence-splitting pass Mullers played? Ca...[/quote]

Three years ago would be my answer to most of your questions bananaman.

I think he is over rated as a passer, he''s no Ian Crook. At the moment he looks way off the pace, he chases shadows until he gets tired (which is after about 2 minutes) and his passing is nothing special. I think the guy has some talent but maybe the Premier league is a bridge too far for him. he also seems to get a lot or comments about his late night activities, not sure if these are rumours? but many people mention that they see him out clubbing and boozing a lot, i think this was mentioned in Iwan''s book a few times too. I saw him coming out of Little Chef on a Saturday morning once, do they do salads!!!!!!  

I know some people like Mulryne but I haven''t seen him play consistantly well for a LONG time.  I loved the day that Franny came as it meant Mullers was pushed down the order.  I think if Holt, Safri or Helveg were fit, Mulyne would not be playing for us.  He just is not Premiership quality

i remember that game:

Harper sent off for a two footed tackle just before half time..... We go 2 down...... Jarvis, Mulryne and WLY (i think), come on and change the game, Mulryne the man of the match

We go on to win 3-2, Mulryne getting the winner

Oh happy days...........

It is a pity he hasn''t done it this season for us, I know his chances were limited at the start of the season but I felt that if he was given a game he would shine, sadly I was wrong. Surely he should be making the most of our injury list and giving Worthy a selection headache, as it stands, the moment Holt & Safri are back he will be out, with no-one to blame but himself. 

Having been an advocate of Mulryne in previous posts I now sadly feel that I was wrong and that he''s lacking the ability, the motivation or the fitness (or possibly all three) to challenge for a place when we have a fit midfield.

I would certainly have Safri alongside Francis and Helveg either as the holding player in a 5-man midfield or as suggested elsewhere as a centre-back - I''m sure his leadership qualities could be what we need in such a leaky defence.

Mulryne has taken this chance and thrown it back at Worthington. Hes out of condition, lacks care and attention on the pitch and clearly is going through the motions. His performances in the last two abject displays have been a disgrace. If he had Holts attitude, or Holt his ability, we''d have a player. Hes on his way in the Summer, dont forget your coat.