Sign in to follow this  
Smeg

Whats happened to Grant Holt??????

what do you put Holty''s rise to one of the top strikers outside of them prem? from a journeyman at shewsbury to a mans thats fast becoming the most loved, admired and successful captain we have had in my (31 years) living memory?

is it that he has found a club thehe fits into and things have just clicked?

Is it that Lambert has made him into the striker we see every week?

is it the realisation that this could be his biggest chance to make something of a career floundering in league2?

is it the passion of us, the fans thats ignited something deep within his heart?

or is it just because Chuck Norris admitted to be scared of him?

I don''t necessarily agree his career was floundering at Shrewsbury, he was scoring a lot of goals (even if it was League Two). Regardless, a great signing. I think it''s a case of right player, right team, right time. Everything has come together, he''s not responsible for it all off himself, he''s part of a team.

[quote user="OTBC"]I don''t necessarily agree his career was floundering at Shrewsbury, he was scoring a lot of goals (even if it was League Two). Regardless, a great signing. I think it''s a case of right player, right team, right time. Everything has come together, he''s not responsible for it all off himself, he''s part of a team.
[/quote]

I think the op is right as he peviously scored 23 in 108 appearences for Forest and 17 of those came in one season in league 1.  

[quote user="OTBC"]I don''t necessarily agree his career was floundering at Shrewsbury, he was scoring a lot of goals (even if it was League Two). Regardless, a great signing. I think it''s a case of right player, right team, right time. Everything has come together, he''s not responsible for it all off himself, he''s part of a team.[/quote]This.  Also, a big part of his game is his guile and experience, which obviously come with age.

Right club, right time, right team, experience and the right manager!

I remember that Norwich wouldn''t let Worthy sign Steve Howard because they deemed him too old but since then hes had 5-6 years of football and most of them good productive years!

There are people that follow these things far more closely than I, but as I recall, Grant suffered strongly under one NF manager who played him in wide midfield.

Fewer goals, loss of confidence etc etc. It happens a lot with strikers in particular.

It is the antithesis of Roeder''s theory that there are a tiny minority of "quality" players and they are all at premiership clubs. There are, imo, lots of potential stars that just lack "the missing ingredient" that can turn them into successes - be it confidence, a different role in the team, better management whatever. The special talent is to identify these and bring out the missing ingredient which was always close at to the top.

[quote user=" Badger"]There are people that follow these things far more closely than I, but as I recall, Grant suffered strongly under one NF manager who played him in wide midfield. Fewer goals, loss of confidence etc etc. It happens a lot with strikers in particular. It is the antithesis of Roeder''s theory that there are a tiny minority of "quality" players and they are all at premiership clubs. There are, imo, lots of potential stars that just lack "the missing ingredient" that can turn them into successes - be it confidence, a different role in the team, better management whatever. The special talent is to identify these and bring out the missing ingredient which was always close at to the top.[/quote]

E.g. Fox, Crofts, Holt, Jackson, Ruddy, Surman, Tierney.... need I go on? [;)]