Sign in to follow this  
lord montyjones

lansbury and bentley

alot of parallels between the handsome boys but why has lansbury given norwich so much more. stating the obvious i guess but you get the impression master lambert gets so much more out of his players than nigel ever could

I think you''ve also got to take into consideration the hunger and desire Lansbury shows over Bentley. It''s almost like Lansbury knows he''s good, but doesn''t believe he''s good enough whereas Bentley just believed he was good.

Lansbury seems much more mature, Bentley had problems when with us as his Wiki page shows:-

He later admitted he had been addicted to gambling in the early stages of his career, reaching a peak of placing 100 bets a day. He got over his problems in 2005.

It must be hard for managers to control such players with talent and hight wages and high ego''s.

Lambert and his senior players seems to unite against such types and put them in their place.

HRH

Its about attitude as well isnt it.Lansbury is obvious quite a confident chap, not meant in a derogatory way but he is obviously by nature arrogant.  This shows on the football field but also he keeps it in line .Arrogance is not a bad quality in a person unless they believe the hypeNow nicely onto Bentley who is the other sideBentley very obviously arrogant , but rather than having a confident nature he had a arrogant nature and belived he would be succesful where ever he was.I reckon Lanbury will do better in the profesional game than Bentley.

[quote user="haisbrohacker"]Lansbury seems much more mature, Bentley had problems when with us as his Wiki page shows:-

He later admitted he had been addicted to gambling in the early stages of his career, reaching a peak of placing 100 bets a day. He got over his problems in 2005.

It must be hard for managers to control such players with talent and hight wages and high ego''s.

Lambert and his senior players seems to unite against such types and put them in their place.

HRH[/quote]Well I never knew that haisbro. That''s a pretty bad habit!

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Its about attitude as well isnt it.Lansbury is obvious quite a confident chap, not meant in a derogatory way but he is obviously by nature arrogant.  This shows on the football field but also he keeps it in line .Arrogance is not a bad quality in a person unless they believe the hypeNow nicely onto Bentley who is the other sideBentley very obviously arrogant , but rather than having a confident nature he had a arrogant nature and belived he would be succesful where ever he was.I reckon Lanbury will do better in the profesional game than Bentley.[/quote]It''s a fine line to tread between confidence and arrogance. I think Lansbury is still on the right side at the moment. I don''t think Bentley ever was.

I do wonder if Lambert might have got "more" out of Bentley than Worthy did?

Not to knock Worthy-but they just seem to be different types of Manager. Lambert seems to have a lot more confidence and conviction in himself and his players, Worthy was, in contrast, quieter and understated. Perhaps Bentley would have thrived under Lamberts infectious self belief?

Bentley''s demise is sad-he was lauded as the natural successor to Beckham. Yet he seems content to have lost the opportunity at Arsenal, not made the most of one at Norwich, and, again, faded away on the bigger stage at Spurs. He showed flashes at Blackburn, but no more than that.

As has been excellently pointed out already, he appears to have thought he made it before he actually had-whereas Lansbury wants to make it and is doing his level best to do so, I have no doubt that his chances of eventually doing so at Arsenal are much, much greater than Bentley''s ever were.

Plus Lansbury seems delighted to be here, where-as it always seemed to be a bit beneath Bentley.

[quote user="Who Let The Fox Out "]It''s a fine line to tread between confidence and arrogance. I think Lansbury is still on the right side at the moment. I don''t think Bentley ever was.[/quote]Yeah exactly mate !

[quote user="lord montyjones"] but you get the impression master lambert gets so much more out of his players than nigel ever could[/quote]

Can''t help but think you''re not really doing Nigel Worthington enough justice there. Had he not been able to get the best out of his players we simply would not have won the league and got promoted. We really shouldn''t forget that we did WIN the league under him - an outstanding achievement.

With Bently it seemed like he was more concerned with impressing Wenger through scoring a 30 yard piledriver rather than helping the team, he was always shooting from range when there were far better options. I felt that Bently would be happier if we lost 3-2 and he scored both than if we won 1-0 and he didnt score.

Bentley had some very impressive match-winning performances when he was with us... and some equally dire not-worth-the-shirt ones too.

Lansbury is a a better player, seems to have more than Bentley. Saying that, I''m not sure that Lansbury will have a big big future. I think he will do well but I can''t see him being in the Arsenal 1t team on a regular basis.

There are a couple of things to take on board here.

I wouldn''t call Lansbury outright arrogant. I actually think he is quietly confident. And by that I mean he appears to be reletively quiet off the pitch. He busts a gut on it and appears reletively fearless, that doesn''t make him arrogant. In a similar ilk to Crofts if you ask me, slogs his guts out and battles like hell on the pitch but does not come across as arrogant at all in interviews.

As for who is better, I think they are different styles of player. Bently is more attacking and doesn''t always seem prepared to get stuck in as much as Lansbury does. Lansbury can play central though and I think that reflects in his ability to get stuck in and tackle more.

In all honesty I can see this being something that Arsenal need more of, the problem is it depends on how Wenger wants to shape his team.

At the moment they have several players that would be considered ahead of him on the right hand side of midfield and in the middle. He might do a job for them on the left but I should imagine that depends on whether Wenger gets shot of Arshavin and whether he replaces him or not which I should imagine he would.

Right wing: Walcott, Rosicky

Centre: Fabregas, Song, Wilshere, Ramsey, Nasri, Denilson, Diaby.

What''s more, if Wenger needs to raise funds for a keeper, centre back and a striker I get the impression that Lansbury may be one to go.

I did here a rumour a couple of weeks after his loan was extended that there may be an agreement in place should we go up. Not sure if that is for another loan or purchase.

grantroederdisaster"]Lansburys put much much more into playing for Norwich than what the very over rated Bentley did!

If we do manage to get promoted players like Bentley are exactly what we don''t need!

Lansburys been a much better addition to the quad than what Bentley did and has a much beter mindset. LIke a previous poster says Bentley was more interested in impressing Arsenal than seeing Nowich win and would of rather scored twice in a 3-2 defeat than Norwich win 1-0!

Although I''m satisified with Lansburys contribution to this campaign, I do get annoyed with people going overboard about him cause hes from Arsenal. In reality hes probably not going to make it at Arsenal and the fans with the "hes from Arsenal" blinkers on wouldn''t be creaming themselves about Lansbury if we had got him on loan from most other clubs!

In fact I think Lansburys at best a very good impact player who seems to do better when he comes of the bench!

One of the worst players I''ve ever seen play for Norwich was Keiron Gibbs because his contribution was next to nothing, much to do with I suspect having a Bentley "I''m too good to be here" atitude yet cause he was from Arsenal some fans couldn''t see how little he done for us. I don''t care what he does for Arsenal in the future I''ll still maintain that, indeed he still doesn''t look good enough to be anywhere near the Arsenal 1st 11!

In summary the difference between Bentley and Lansbury is yet another example of why Lamberts so good. - Lansburys atitude is so much better than Bentleys and subsequently so is Lansburys contribution. Lambert has built his Norwich teams around players who want to play for us and win. Lambert wouldn''t consider signing a Bentley like player with a poor atitude who doesn''t really want to be at Norwich!

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]It makes me wonder what Lambert could have got out of the likes of Huckerby and Ashton....[/quote]

Some players don''t need their Managers to "get it out of them". Others do.

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"] One of the worst players I''ve ever seen play for Norwich was Keiron Gibbs because his contribution was next to nothing, much to do with I suspect having a Bentley "I''m too good to be here" atitude yet cause he was from Arsenal some fans couldn''t see how little he done for us.  [/quote]

Think you''re being a bit harsh on Gibbs. He was only about 18 when he came here and the club wasn''t a particularly good place to be at back then - not like now when we''re riding high. He was chucked in at the deep end and played out of position.

If anything I think the fans were too harsh on the lad, it was far too easy to just assume he didn''t care because he was on loan from a big club.

As it goes I believe he''s got a reputation for being a very hard working young player so I think it''s unlikely he turned up here not giving a toss. I think it''s more likely he was disappointed with the attitude of some of the players actually contracted to the club - infact I''d say it was quite obvious that  (in at least one game) Gibbs wasn''t impressed with Otsemobor''s attitude.

I wouldn''t underestimate the effect on Lansbury of playing and training alongside Grant Holt every day.

Holty is an old skool centre forward, come up through the hard way and is totally respected as captain by his team mates. The kind of player that young footballers can look up to.

When Bentley was here I don''t think we had a player as inspirational as Grant Holt is today. Wasn''t Adam Drury our captain at the time? As a model professional Adam is a great role model but I don''t think he had the leadership qualities that Holt has.

If you follow the twitter chat between Henri Lansbury and Grant Holt, you can see the big man has got the young Arsenal lad firmly under his Canary wing.