Sign in to follow this  
Jacko

Who Would You Select On The Bench?

Apologies if this has been mentioned before. For me a massive feature of this season for me has been Lambert''s ability to really effect games from the bench. Decisions such as the one to send on McNamee against Swansea and to send on Lansbury against Bristol City have really turned games in our favour. The new signings have obviously increased our options still further. I was wondering who people would like to see on the bench for the Scunthorpe game . Assuming he goes with the 4-2-3-1 that we played at Hull I would go for a bench of Rudd, Drury, Edwards, Pacheco, Vokes, Lappin, Smith.

That would mean that the likes of Jackson, McNamee, Wilbraham and Martin miss out for the time being (admittedly the latter 2 are injured for the time being). Does anyone know when the latter two in particular will come back into the reckoning. It would be interesting to where Lambert rates them in relation to his loan signings once that happens.

I would think we would go with 2 up top (whomever they may be) and then stick 2 more strikers on the bench.

Unfortunately Jacko seems to be history. Why else should we need to sign two new strikers at such an important time?

I want him to be a success at this level, but he has had his chances, doesn''t seem to know the off-side rule and his heading ability seems to be  non-existent.Even Delia would have latched on to on to one of those chances, pissed or not.

Please Simeon be the player we all expected or else we will have to loan you back to the Gills when Cody comes back.

As far as I''m concerned, Jackson played well against Bristol City - albeit without the clinical edge that would have got him a goal or two. He got involved in the play (setting up Hoolahan brilliantly for our penalty) and looked dangerous when he dragged players wide.

Against Hull, he looked very lively as well, with an excellent turn-and-shot almost nicking us the three points - but for an excellent save.

Lambert''s no mug. He knows dropping Jackson from the squad now would destroy his confidence completely. I think he''ll be sensible enough to give Jackson a final chance to really impress from the start, with Vokes/Pacheco waiting in the wings against Scunthorpe.

I''d also expect us to revert to a more 4-5-1 against Swansea, regardless of how Jackson or others do.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

Unfortunately Jacko seems to be history. Why else should we need to sign two new strikers at such an important time?

I want him to be a success at this level, but he has had his chances, doesn''t seem to know the off-side rule and his heading ability seems to be  non-existent.Even Delia would have latched on to on to one of those chances, pissed or not.

Please Simeon be the player we all expected or else we will have to loan you back to the Gills when Cody comes back.

[/quote]

Glad I''m not the only one to be utterly frustrated by this. Drives me crackers to see him continually offside.  

I don''t think one up front is necessarily a negative ploy at all. Its depends on mentality of the midfielders behind them and whether they are prepared to support the solitary striker. Young and Rooney supported Bent really well at the weekend while Morison was completed isolated for Wales. Realistically at the moment to fit in the extra striker one of Lansbury or Wes would have to drop out. That is incredibly harsh given their recent level of performances. Particularly when Pacheco and Vokes will have only had a couple days training with the squad under their belts.

I agree leaving Jackson out the squad could potentially be pretty bad for his confidence. However we now have 6 strikers available when everyone is fit. That means that even if we start with 2 up front, you would have to think 2 strikers are going to miss out altogether.

I think the team will be as follows;GK RuddyDR MartinDL TierneyDC WhitbreadDC WardMR LansburyML SurmanMC CroftsMC FoxMC/FW WessiST HoltSubs: Rudd, Drury, Edwards, Korey, Pacheo, Jackson, VokesLet''s not forget,, Pacheo can and has been playing central midfield. I think two strikers on the bench and Pacheo gives you great flexibility in changing formation as Lambert does so effectively.

From what I''ve read, Pacheco has played in Wes''s role just behind the striker(s), so I think he may well come on from the bench for a tiring Wes (and act as his back-up if Wes gets injured).

I also think that no way will Lambert play Pacheco, Hoolahan and Surman in the same team (all three are likely to lack a bit of bite, and will leave too much for Crofts and Fox to cover).

I think that Vokes is the more likely of the two new forwards to play from the start. Having said that, given the limited time he will have had with his new team mates, I suspect that he, too, will start on the bench.

Jackson will start on the bench, too, as against Hull, and may come on if Scunthorpe start throwing defenders forward.

Longer term, the player most in danger at the moment, I feel, is Surman, who was very poor at Hull. He may end up dropping out of the startng line-up if Vokes, Martin or Wilbraham come up with a good performance from the bench. MacNamee is unlikey to figure again.

The big unanswered question in all this is Wilbraham, and whether he is fit.

So I think The Googler has it right, but with Lappin in for Drury on the bench. After all, Lappin provides some width, as well as covering for left back.

GK Ruddy

DR Martin

DL Tierney

DC Whitbread

DC Ward

DM Fox

MR CroftsML Surman

AM HoolahanST Vokes

ST HoltSubs: Rudd, Edwards, Lappin, Smith, Lansbury, Pacheco, Jackson.Pretty harsh on Drury, but Lappin can offer LB cover while also being useful as an option in midfield if we''re defending a lead.

I was thinking whether Drury could be left out in order to make room for an attacking player. But it would seem really harsh to leave out such a senior player out altogether when he has not done much wrong.

[quote user="CambsCanary"]From what I''ve read, Pacheco has played in Wes''s role just behind the striker(s), so I think he may well come on from the bench for a tiring Wes (and act as his back-up if Wes gets injured). I also think that no way will Lambert play Pacheco, Hoolahan and Surman in the same team (all three are likely to lack a bit of bite, and will leave too much for Crofts and Fox to cover). I think that Vokes is the more likely of the two new forwards to play from the start. Having said that, given the limited time he will have had with his new team mates, I suspect that he, too, will start on the bench. Jackson will start on the bench, too, as against Hull, and may come on if Scunthorpe start throwing defenders forward. Longer term, the player most in danger at the moment, I feel, is Surman, who was very poor at Hull. He may end up dropping out of the startng line-up if Vokes, Martin or Wilbraham come up with a good performance from the bench. MacNamee is unlikey to figure again. The big unanswered question in all this is Wilbraham, and whether he is fit. So I think The Googler has it right, but with Lappin in for Drury on the bench. After all, Lappin provides some width, as well as covering for left back.[/quote]

As Wales dont have a match this midweek and that he didn''t kick a ball against England on Saturday, I''d expect him to be at Colney first thing this morning??....that will give him whole week to prepare, I don''t think this can be an excuse?

IMO, I think Drury will always be on the bench at least. He is a senior player and brings a lot more to the game than just his footballing ability.