Sign in to follow this  
Yarmouthyellow1

Question re some of the Norwich songs

1) What is the last line of OTBC?   I can never quite make it out as it''s sung so fast.  Could somebody translate?  Tried listening on few Youtube videos and can''t make it out either.  Sounds a bit like Popeye (a ga ga ga we''ve "scdagul" scolive?)   

2) When did Paul Lambert''s green and yellow army become Paul Lambert''s yellow army.  Do you think if it was slowed down a bit we might be able to get the "green" back in?  Just a thought a when I sing it to myself it seems quite easy to sing "green and yellow army"?  Please let me know if this is out of the question though.

3) Why are some people trying to sing "When the greens go marching in" in a jazz type fashion?  Thought it had been alright for decades as it is?? 

4) Do the following songs still exist (i.e.)

- My old man

- When I was just a little boy

- Wings of a sparrow

etc.

5) Does anyone else, like me, run out of breath when singing nowadays and if so, do you think there''s any business to be made as a circular breathing consultant at Carrow Road.  I''ve heard aberigini digeridoo players use it to great effect.

I''ve really got ot let this drop

[quote user="Yarmouthyellow1"]

1) What is the last line of OTBC?   I can never quite make it out as it''s sung so fast.  Could somebody translate?  Tried listening on few Youtube videos and can''t make it out either.  Sounds a bit like Popeye (a ga ga ga we''ve "scdagul" scolive?)   

2) When did Paul Lambert''s green and yellow army become Paul Lambert''s yellow army.  Do you think if it was slowed down a bit we might be able to get the "green" back in?  Just a thought a when I sing it to myself it seems quite easy to sing "green and yellow army"?  Please let me know if this is out of the question though.

3) Why are some people trying to sing "When the greens go marching in" in a jazz type fashion?  Thought it had been alright for decades as it is?? 

- My old man

- Wings of a sparrow

etc.

5) Does anyone else, like me, run out of breath when singing nowadays and if so, do you think there''s any business to be made as a circular breathing consultant at Carrow Road.  I''ve heard aberigini digeridoo players use it to great effect.

[/quote]

you been living under a rock??

What Norwich fan does not know the words to on the ball city?? really?

Type in to the little window in your web browser where it says something like http://services.pinkun.com/FORUMS/PINKUN/C/forums... "www.google.com".In the web page that then appears, type "on the ball city" into the small window underneath where it says Google in big multi-coloured letters. Hit enter. Click on the link just below which "On the Ball, City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia".Simples!

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]I think you''ll find he knows the words and is making an amusing point on how quickly the song is sung these days.[/quote]I don''t think so.

Thanks, but Wikipedia says "Hurrah! We''ve scored goal".  I know those were the lyrics when I started singing it (though for many it''s always been "Oh we''ve scored a goal") over twenty years ago but I think they must have changed the lyrics over the last few years.  Could the person responsible for the Wikipedia article please update them?  I just wanted to know what people sing now so I don''t come across as some sort of dinosaur.  Is it "Owyscudagl" now? Please help as I just want to fit in again.

[quote user="Yarmouthyellow1"]Thanks, but Wikipedia says "Hurrah! We''ve scored goal".  I know those were the lyrics when I started singing it (though for many it''s always been "Oh we''ve scored a goal") over twenty years ago but I think they must have changed the lyrics over the last few years.  Could the person responsible for the Wikipedia article please update them?  I just wanted to know what people sing now so I don''t come across as some sort of dinosaur.  Is it "Owyscudagl" now? Please help as I just want to fit in again.[/quote]That''s what I sing. We should relax in the smug satisfaction of knowing the two of us are right, even if everyone else would disagree.[:)]

Nuff said.  Maybe you''re right and I just need to resign myself to change.... "Hurrah we''ve scored a goal" is dead, long live the Welsh village of "Owyscdagul" (Maybe I should get some t-shirts printed).   

[quote user="Yarmouthyellow1"]

Nuff said.  Maybe you''re right and I just need to resign myself to change.... "Hurrah we''ve scored a goal" is dead, long live the Welsh village of "Owyscdagul" (Maybe I should get some t-shirts printed).   

[/quote]Isn''t this just the modern way of using "text speak"?On t bl Ctynvr mnd t dngrstdy nnws yr chnceowyscdagul

You tell that to the poor old boy who sung this Colchester.  He''d be turning in his grave (presuming he''s dead which I''d guess he is) to hear "Owyscdagul" being sung at Carrow Road.  Having said that, imagine in twenty years time when all you can hear is "Odagl" and all those at Carrow Road will be saying fondly and with a tear in their eye " I remember when we used to sing Owyscdagul".

[quote user="Yarmouthyellow1"]You got me Devonshire.  I''m crap at sarcasm.  Help me let it go and get used to the new ways.  Please[/quote]You really are.

I think this should be sung again

When I was just a little boy,

I asked my mother what should I be,

Should I be Norwich,

Should I be scum,

Here''s what she said to me,

Wash your mouth out son,

Then go get your fathers gun,

And shoot the Ipswich scum,

Shoot the Ipswich Scum...

Yes Jem, definitely agree should be brought back.  Would many people remember it I wonder? 

What about give me a N, O, R etc etc as well.

Also, as we''re on the subject of shooting people and I''m in the mood to be belligerant; I''ve been getting increasingly disgruntled with the crap music being played over the tannoy right up to kick off and over the top of every goal celebration.  Would your father''s gun be up to the task??  Yes I am being a miserable git.

Oh and:

"Everywhere we go,

People always ask us,

Who we are,

Where we come from,

We always tell them,

We come from Norwich,

Mighty mighty Norwich

And if you can''t hear us,

We''ll shout a little louder"

[quote user="Yella_Forever"][quote user="Yarmouthyellow1"]

- My old man

- Wings of a sparrow

etc.

[/quote]

you been living under a rock??

What Norwich fan does not know the words to on the ball city?? really?

[/quote]Whoooosh!!

Some great chants on this thread, where have they gone?! I think circular breathing is very much the order of the day too.

Seems as though many supporters just spew out the chants like its just a routine, not driven by the passion in what they''re saying. Used to actually beleive in what we were chanting back in the 80s-early 90s, maybe thats the problem now.

We need some real belief that we have that greatness within us.

Not sure where the chants have gone.  Guess they''re still remembered by people like us but the longer they go without being sung, they gradually fade away and with it goes a bit of NCFC history.  It''s a shame as many of the younger supporters won''t know many of the traditional songs before long.  Equally though, I guess there were many songs sung befoe I started supporting City that I never knew about or heard. 

Carrow can still rock when it''s on form but maybe it''s up to us older (30+ year olds as you say?) to pull our fingers out and fight the tide of super fast chanting and repetition of the same few songs over and over again.  I get the feeling though that maybe many can''t be bothered now or have just given up and so it''s just beome the norm.  It''s only when you listen to the link I posted that you realise just how the song has ''evolved'' . 

Some great songs.  Didn''t "I can drive a tractor" used to be sung also before Ipswich styled themselves as tractor boys?  I wish people would slow down the singing also but suppose just how things change unfortunately.

There is hope for things slowing down - note that a number of clubs fans have slowed down the "oh when the Spurs / Saints / Greens? etc. go marching in.............".  All it takes is a group of people to start a slower version on the terraces of OTBC to get it being pronounced and sung properly.  Go on you know it makes sense!