Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

The Norwich 'England goalkeeper' production line

Marshall,Green,Lewis,Rudd,Steer,Gunn.....

all represented England at under age level for some 15-20 years now...but what is it that we are doing at Norwich that continues to produce from this conveyor belt that other clubs apparantly aren''t??.

Surely can''t just purely be coincidence, any guesses?, anyone with inside info as to what we maybe doing differently/better than other clubs in this department??

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

Those that take up residency in Norfolk learn to let nothing in? [:$]

[/quote]

Except when in South Africa.

OTBC

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]Marshall,Green,Lewis,Rudd,Steer,Gunn.....

all represented England at under age level for some 15-20 years now...but what is it that we are doing at Norwich that continues to produce from this conveyor belt that other clubs apparantly aren''t??.

Surely can''t just purely be coincidence, any guesses?, anyone with inside info as to what we maybe doing differently/better than other clubs in this department??[/quote]I suppose it helps that now we have a reputation for producing top young keepers, the England Under-16s management probably look here first, and when they perform well, they stay in the set-up through the age groups. And the elite coaching they get at national level helps them develop better, hence why Lewis, Rudd, and Steer have all got in at a young age and stayed there.

The kids goalkeeping coach was Darren Lovell who left this year to go to Suffolk FA. Did we not take on a new goalkeeping coach recently ?

Some of it is down to chance, I beleive Declan Rudds academy trial was as a centre half, deemed not good enough came back a year later as a goalkeeper and made it.

[quote user="Lambert is King"]

The kids goalkeeping coach was Darren Lovell who left this year to go to Suffolk FA. Did we not take on a new goalkeeping coach recently ?

Some of it is down to chance, I beleive Declan Rudds academy trial was as a centre half, deemed not good enough came back a year later as a goalkeeper and made it.

[/quote]

Nearly correct - he was a striker

[quote user="Largey"]Having 12 fingers probably helps...[/quote]

[:@] BEAT ME TO IT!!  [;)]

This must help - apart from in the world cup [:#]

Let''s not forget our greatest ever keeper Kevin Keelan. Born in Bombay but got a Football League Representative medal.

Chris woods.... how could he be fogotten! although we didnt bring him through ourselves he played for England whilst at Norwich

We have been very blessed in the past few years with the quality of goalkeepers we have brought through, however there seems to be a lack of real quality coming through for outfield players (at least in the last few years). Such as exciting young players we have brought previously, who have been deemed ''premiership quality'' (Eadie, Lee Marshall, Bellamy).

"Lee Marshall"?

that''s a bit random? I''d put quite a few more players ahead of him in the prem quality stakes. Plus was he a NCFC youth player? I thought we brought him in from a non-league youth set up - St Albans?

I think Lee Marshall was signed from Enfield. Either way, definately not from our youth set-up.

I think we have a few potential Premier League players coming through at the moment.

Steer, Rudd, Korey Smith, Tom Adeyemi (longshot), Dawkin, Werndley. All rated highly, not sure but maybe Francomb and Habergham who have both been on the bench this season