Sign in to follow this  
Snakepit Lass

Cody wants to stay at Gillingham!

who knows what will happen however he is talking the right way to keep both sides interested.

I''m sure he would be happy as he is a starter and I am sure in a few years could go further up the leagues.

But whatever league we are in next season there will be holt, martin, wilby ahead of him and I am certain that new strikers will be on the agenda. Long, Evans have all been mentioned, admittedly by fans. But we are now looking at a certain type of hungry reinforcements. Unfortunately Cody is probably a player that we cannot give the time too, althoguh if we were midtable I think that I''d be happy for him to stay. But now I am looking to improve on what we have.

[quote user="smooth"]who knows what will happen however he is talking the right way to keep both sides interested.

I''m sure he would be happy as he is a starter and I am sure in a few years could go further up the leagues.

But whatever league we are in next season there will be holt, martin, wilby ahead of him and I am certain that new strikers will be on the agenda. Long, Evans have all been mentioned, admittedly by fans. But we are now looking at a certain type of hungry reinforcements. Unfortunately Cody is probably a player that we cannot give the time too, althoguh if we were midtable I think that I''d be happy for him to stay. But now I am looking to improve on what we have.[/quote]Maybe we should make a move for Le Fondre?

That doesnt really say to me that he want to stay there at all!

In his head, as in every professional sports person head, they think and believe they can play at a higher level.

Its one of them questions that he as to give a good answer to, he cant say ''Well to be fair Gillingham are shit and I didnt really want to come here but PL said I had to, I cant wait to go play in the Premier league''

There is a fair chance that if we get promoted he would be surplus to requirments, and we may sell him to Gilingham and he has obviously done well for them, played alot of football, scored lots of goals and settled in.

But if you ask him if he like the chance to have a crack at the top league, you could bet your bottom dollar he''d say YES!

The answer to this question is Cody not burning his bridges and keeping his options open!

Personally, Id stick with him and give him a chance. You dont have to be the most technically gifted player in the world to be in the right place at the right time. I wouldnt rule him out and see no reason why he cant do a job, much like DJ Campbell as at Blackpool

[quote user="smooth"]who knows what will happen however he is talking the right way to keep both sides interested. I''m sure he would be happy as he is a starter and I am sure in a few years could go further up the leagues. But whatever league we are in next season there will be holt, martin, wilby ahead of him and I am certain that new strikers will be on the agenda. Long, Evans have all been mentioned, admittedly by fans. But we are now looking at a certain type of hungry reinforcements. Unfortunately Cody is probably a player that we cannot give the time too, althoguh if we were midtable I think that I''d be happy for him to stay. But now I am looking to improve on what we have.[/quote]

Thank goodness a rational voice, he is talking to a local news source to Gillingham, he is enjoying his football and wants to keep things sweet "just in case".  Every footballer does it, kissing badges weeks before transferring, etc.  If Lambert tells him he wants him back and will be an important player for this club he will be back and incredibly happy to be here

Just read his interview in the EDP and from what I read he is only saying what the Gills want him to say, as in his second breath he says he is in the hands of Norwich city, No more than any player would say really. But if I was PL I would offer him a further 2year contract, and if we go up send him on loan to a championship club for a couple of months, then bring him back slot him in to the side and go from there, I think many fans will be upset if Jackson is given a chance and Cody''s not,

Jackson has been playing Pro football for a damn site longer than Cody, but I know who I''d prefer to keep,this is one deal where I think PL got very wrong. 

I''d keep him as well, got to say. Look to send him out on loan again to a higher level L1 or even Scottish Premiership team to see how he copes with a shift up the leagues. Age 24 he still has age on his side and I believe is getting better.

[quote user="pete_norw"]

Jackson has been playing Pro football for a damn site longer than Cody, but I know who I''d prefer to keep,this is one deal where I think PL got very wrong. 

[/quote]

Jackson is also a couple of years younger than Cody and has made a massive step up this season from the level he was at. I''m not saying he''s been really impressive signing - because he hasn''t. However, going back 2 years ago to when Cody first joined the club (similar age to what Jackson is now) I would say that Jackson looks a better player than Cody did - although, as you say, he''s more experienced in the pro game.

Don''t think either of them are really the answer although I get the feeling Simeon would have to do more than Cody would to earn the love of the Carrow Road masses.

I''ll just get behind either of them if they''re in a yellow shirt.

Gillingham didn''t ignore his talent whatsoever they knew about him and were interested in him at the same time as us, but financially they couldn''t match what we were offering so that''s why Cody came to us. IMHO Cody has more potential than Jackson and possibly will be cheaper to keep than Jackson whatever league we in next year, offer Cody a contract and offload Simeon back to gillingham.

Not sure you can really say that PL got it wrong. There''s a very good chance that Simeon could have scored 20+ this season with Gillingham and Cody not hitting it off in the Championship with us and then you would be slagging Cody off for not being up to the pace of the Championship. We may or may not ever find the answer to this one.

[quote user="pete_norw"]

Just read his interview in the EDP and from what I read he is only saying what the Gills want him to say, as in his second breath he says he is in the hands of Norwich city, No more than any player would say really. But if I was PL I would offer him a further 2year contract, and if we go up send him on loan to a championship club for a couple of months, then bring him back slot him in to the side and go from there, I think many fans will be upset if Jackson is given a chance and Cody''s not,

[/quote]

I''d like to think that if we are in the Championship again next season Cody would have something to offer here. He is a proven goalscorer and has never let Norwich down when called upon. Whether or not he could do it consistently in the Championship remains to be seen but I''d like to see him given the chance.Time will tell I guess.

if we go up or even if we dont i think another 2 strikers are a must... It will push Cody down the list even further.time to cash in.

Might just be me but I can''t see what all the fuss is about with Cody.Never cemented a place when around the first team, went missing for long spells of games when he started for us in League 1, poor first touch, not the quickest.I think he has found his level so sell him whether we are Champ or Prem next season. Hardly likely to use him next season if we stay where we are as Martin and Holt will provide the first choice strike force. And he''s out of contract next year, which means we can get a fee in the summer.