Sign in to follow this  
Boyo

The Scunthrope game is bigger than we think

Obviously there is a lot of talk about the Swansea game and the Forest game because they are the only two of the current top 6 we have left to play and these could be the deciding games.  However before we even play Swansea next week we have got to play Scunthorpe and this result is very, very important.

If we lose or drop points against them it gives Swansea a chance to over take us and that makes Swansea away a must win.  If we get the job done proffesionally and win we will go into that game ahead of them knowing that a draw would be a good result and it is in our hands.  To be ahead of Swansea before that game is a massive psychological advantage and to do that we must beat Scunthorpe who could well have a new manager and are battling relegation so lets make it a good atmosphere, get behind the team and hope they respond.

COYY!

It''s also going to be a much harder game than people think. The Admiral will be back and will do us no favour...it''s a Norwich classic that old City players play well against us, and undoubtably he will get the Scunny boys ready for this game.

[quote user="Ben "]I''m looking at it like 8 cup finals. Every game from now till the end of the season is massive.[/quote]

im not cause were SH!T in the cup lol.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

[quote user="Ben "]I''m looking at it like 8 cup finals. Every game from now till the end of the season is massive.[/quote]

im not cause were SH!T in the cup lol.

[/quote]

lol true but you get what i''m saying [;)] haha

[quote user="Largey"]It''s also going to be a much harder game than people think. The Admiral will be back and will do us no favour...it''s a Norwich classic that old City players play well against us, and undoubtably he will get the Scunny boys ready for this game.[/quote]

If Holt is on form then Nelson doesn''t stand a chance IMHO!  However this could be said for every player and there will probably be at least one or two Norwich players not completely up for it or on their game.  They will come and stick 10 men behind the ball and as we have shown all season we really struggle against teams when they do that.

Yep a lot of people underestimating the Scunthorpe game, and it will be made much harder if by then they have appointed Alan Knill or whoever. We need a good atmosphere and no moaning or booing if we''re not thrashing them 5-0.

I dont think Swansea will be relishing their trip to Deepdale much though either. Their record away from home isn''t great and Preston have 2 wins and a draw in their last 4 and are rallying well under Phil Brown. I''ll take a 1-0 right now vs Scunthorpe and just maybe, we''ll be 3 or 4 points clear of Swansea come 5 o''clock!

can see either us or swansea dropping points on Saturday, both easy games on paper but will be a few twist and turns before the seasons out

A word of caution to you all.This club has achieved 8 promotions in its history and Ricardo has been priviledged to witness 7 of them.There will be a disappointing result somewhere in the next 8 games so don''t get too het up about it because the same thing will happen to the other promotion chasers. It is very unlikely that any team will win all eight and IMO if we can win 5 games we will almost certainly go up. Even 4 wins and a couple of draws may be enough. We have the nerve to hold this second place all the way to the line and I firmly believe that we will.

[quote user="Largey"]It''s also going to be a much harder game than people think. The Admiral will be back and will do us no favour...it''s a Norwich classic that old City players play well against us, and undoubtably he will get the Scunny boys ready for this game.[/quote]Tenner on a Nelly own goal. He loves this club and loves Grant Holt! :D

[quote user="Who Let The Fox Out "][quote user="Largey"]It''s also going to be a much harder game than people think. The Admiral will be back and will do us no favour...it''s a Norwich classic that old City players play well against us, and undoubtably he will get the Scunny boys ready for this game.[/quote]Tenner on a Nelly own goal. He loves this club and loves Grant Holt! :D[/quote]Either that or he will haul Holty down for a penalty. [:)]

[quote user="ricardo"]A word of caution to you all.This club has achieved 8 promotions in its history and Ricardo has been priviledged to witness 7 of them.There will be a disappointing result somewhere in the next 8 games so don''t get too het up about it because the same thing will happen to the other promotion chasers. It is very unlikely that any team will win all eight and IMO if we can win 5 games we will almost certainly go up. Even 4 wins and a couple of draws may be enough. We have the nerve to hold this second place all the way to the line and I firmly believe that we will.[/quote][Y][Y][Y]

spot on Ricardo

I think a lot of silliness is being talked about which one is a big game etc

Every game is big, has been since August. If you don''t think so then add the 3 points we should have got at home to Hull or take off the two points we could easily have not got against Millwall and Reading - then see our position.

Look back at the end of the season at some of those ''not big games'' and see how the points we won (just) or lost when we should not have - and then see if they were not big games. I suspect Lambert and the squad have been taking every game as a big game. every possible three points as that much nearer to the target.

As to twists and turns along the way I have seen a fair few promotions but nothing will beat stood on the Leppings Lane terraces on the final game of the 81/82 seaon when Sheff Weds had beaten us 2-1 and we all stood waiting for the late result from Leicester, where a win for Leicester would see them up to 68 points with one game in hand and able to equal our total (71 points) with a good chance of overhaulins us on goal difference with their game in hand.

A point on that day would have clinched it. We lost, and stood shattered watching the Weds fans being held back by a line of police on the 18 yd box taunting us. The news was bad, the rumour was that Leicester were winning, late goal or something ............ then it came through. Every herbert with a little black transistor stuck to his lug was mobbed. It was 0-0. Leicester couldn''t catch us. We were up ! The crowd erupted as won, Weds fans quickly dispersed and it was a wonderful,leery old drive down the A1, passing coaches and other cars. Mad celebration at a service station, that I remember well. Even back home for a few jars, no licensing laws in small villages then.

Odd thing is that promotion came from almost nowhere. We were around 10th or 11th in the table at the end of March and around 10 points behind 3rd place. Weds had been up there for so long - I imagine that was why there was the anger after the game. So it aint over by a long long while yet.

But one thing I will add is, enjoy every minute of it because I doubt many will see two seasons like this again for a long while, if ever.

[quote user="City1st"]spot on Ricardo I think a lot of silliness is being talked about which one is a big game etc Every game is big, has been since August. If you don''t think so then add the 3 points we should have got at home to Hull or take off the two points we could easily have not got against Millwall and Reading - then see our position. Look back at the end of the season at some of those ''not big games'' and see how the points we won (just) or lost when we should not have - and then see if they were not big games. I suspect Lambert and the squad have been taking every game as a big game. every possible three points as that much nearer to the target. As to twists and turns along the way I have seen a fair few promotions but nothing will beat stood on the Leppings Lane terraces on the final game of the 81/82 seaon when Sheff Weds had beaten us 2-1 and we all stood waiting for the late result from Leicester, where a win for Leicester would see them up to 68 points with one game in hand and able to equal our total (71 points) with a good chance of overhaulins us on goal difference with their game in hand. A point on that day would have clinched it. We lost, and stood shattered watching the Weds fans being held back by a line of police on the 18 yd box taunting us. The news was bad, the rumour was that Leicester were winning, late goal or something ............ then it came through. Every herbert with a little black transistor stuck to his lug was mobbed. It was 0-0. Leicester couldn''t catch us. We were up ! The crowd erupted as won, Weds fans quickly dispersed and it was a wonderful,leery old drive down the A1, passing coaches and other cars. Mad celebration at a service station, that I remember well. Even back home for a few jars, no licensing laws in small villages then. Odd thing is that promotion came from almost nowhere. We were around 10th or 11th in the table at the end of March and around 10 points behind 3rd place. Weds had been up there for so long - I imagine that was why there was the anger after the game. So it aint over by a long long while yet. But one thing I will add is, enjoy every minute of it because I doubt many will see two seasons like this again for a long while, if ever.[/quote]

---

It was the first season with three points for a win. For a while afterwards a late promotion run like that was known as "doing a Norwich".

My memory of that day is slightly different. I had to leave immediately to run to catch a train south and only found out we''d been promoted when some friendly Gillingham fans got on at Chesterfield.

Scunthorpe are slipping in to league one, they need the points!

They will fight, kick and batter us and defend to high heaven.

The break will make some of the players a bit rusty but hopefully we can get a good start, the longer the game goes on, the more frustrated the players and fans will become if we are not winning and we all know nervous tension is not good and it spreads!!

It''s a massive game but i''m sure city won''t let us down even though we are prone to the odd slip up at home against the ''lesser'' teams.

That''s a fair point by the OP. Going to Swansea away with them ''needing'' to beat us will probably play into our hands; we''re much better at counter-attacking and is normally why we do better away.

S****horpe will probably get 11 players behind the ball all the time and we might be looking at another Doncaster or PNE. Please NO booing! I''d take 1-0 right now, it''s all about the points now.

Also is this The Pink''Un this thread has been posted on? Why has no-one corrected the misspelling in the thread title??!!!

I personally don''t feel or see any over confidence for this weekend, a la Doncaster and Preston, just a real excitement building which I think will really help lift the team. With the arrival of Pacheco, I think the roof will lift at Carrow Road and I think there is an air of realistic confidence as opposed  to arrogantly expecting to win.We are close and getting closer, time to believe in the team to take us through..........

It was such an epic, mad occasion. One of their fans was in the box when they scored and almost got on the end of the cross. The sense of injustice and then the unlikely Leicester result coming through. I was punched in the gut by a miserable Wednesdayite oaf on the way to the ground (I was only a kid at the time).

It didn''t help Leicester that we thumped them 4-1 at Filbert Street, another joyous occasion and one of the best away athmosperes I can remember. Fantastic acoustics in that old stand. Then we really started to believe!

When Norwich get a bit of momentum, there''s no stopping us. Hopefully the new ''doing a Norwich'' will be the fairytale of a double promotion to the prem from the brink of obscurity.

[quote user="ricardo"]A word of caution to you all.This club has achieved 8 promotions in its history and Ricardo has been priviledged to witness 7 of them.There will be a disappointing result somewhere in the next 8 games so don''t get too het up about it because the same thing will happen to the other promotion chasers. It is very unlikely that any team will win all eight and IMO if we can win 5 games we will almost certainly go up. Even 4 wins and a couple of draws may be enough.

We have the nerve to hold this second place all the way to the line and I firmly believe that we will.
[/quote]

I think that dissapointing result could come at Portman Road, it''s not nice to think about but I can see it coming...