Sign in to follow this  
priceyrice

Andy Carrol at City

I wish this was a transfer rumour! Just wondering if anyone remembers the situation under Roeder when we were linked with Carrol a few times- what was the price floating about then that we couldn''t afford- was it something like 2.5M? would have been one hell of an investment!

Yeah thats football...Remember Gabriel Batistuta aka Batigoal ?He was offered to the binners for £1m before he hit his height.... it was to much money*snigger snigger*

Ha the Argentine striker, they missed out big time there, when were they offered him??I just wonder how good Roeder thought he was, he seemed to be more adamant abotu bring Ameobi in wasn''t he?

Actually I think it was 1 Million from what I remember, but someone at the club (Roeder or the board) didn''t want to pay that much for him.

I will admit at the time I thought £1 million was actually a ridiculous amount of money for him! He had a really average loan spell at Preston where I think he scored once in what was a very decent side challenging for promotion. But interesting Carroll and his agent were very interested in a move to Norwich. Mainly because of the major Newcastle connections we had at the club back then I guess. Hindsight is a wonderful thing! I think £35 million is also ridiculous but he will probably show I know nothing again.

As a slight variation on this theme my favourite story concerning this was when Kenny Dalglish was Blackburn manager. He was really looking to strength the squad when he had the Jack Walker money. His scouts came across a very promising midfielder in France called Zinedine Zidane. Kenny was very keen for Walker to open his wallet only to told: "Why do you need him? You''ve already got Tim Sherwood!."

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]Never rated Carroll, still don''t plenty of players I would have had first. Liverpool were so desperate. Huge gamble.[/quote]

Yeah, I hear a lot of people saying Carroll "isn''t that good" and I think a lot of those people have got it wrong.

He''s got a lot of good stuff to his game and I expect him to be a success.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]Never rated Carroll, still don''t plenty of players I would have had first. Liverpool were so desperate. Huge gamble.[/quote]

Yeah, I hear a lot of people saying Carroll "isn''t that good" and I think a lot of those people have got it wrong.

[/quote]People are saying he "isn''t that good" because they are comparing his abilities to his price tag- I''m sure everyone aside from Kenny Dalglish believes that Liverpool have paid well over the odds. I reckon £35m is around treble his true worth.He is a good player and should only get better though...

[quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

People are saying he "isn''t that good" because they are comparing his abilities to his price tag- I''m sure everyone aside from Kenny Dalglish believes that Liverpool have paid well over the odds. I reckon £35m is around treble his true worth.

He is a good player and should only get better though...
[/quote]

Perhaps.

Although I think the way to look at it is that Chelsea paid over the odds for Fernando Torres which has had a knock-on effect. Infact, given the way he has been playing over the last few months I think that should transfer fee should attract more criticism than Carroll''s.

And of course I think most people would agree that Liverpool are now in a stronger position with Carroll and Suarez than they were with Torres (and Babel too if you want).

If you then worked on the theory that Andy Carroll is going to play for Liverpool for the next 10 years and be a big success then then £35m would be looked upon as money well spent.

I don''t really even like Liverpool to be honest but my gut feeling is that they''ve got this one right.

Still going on about price tags for players? Was the same thing with the £80m on Ronaldo!£50m for Torres is a good deal. - He will come good, we all know it. - He''s selling thousands of shirts.- He''s promoting Chelsea''s image.- It''s taken Chelsea to spain.- It''s created media hype.- HE IS GENERATING NON STOP MONEY.£35m on Carroll is slightly over priced, but the money will come back to Liverpool.- He''s young- He''s good- He''s selling shirts- He''s making people aware Liverpool can still spend.- It''s created media hype.- He''s a future England star.- He''s a goal scoring premier league forward.- HE IS GENERATING NON STOP MONEY.

[quote user="Lincoln Yellow"]Still going on about price tags for players? Was the same thing with the £80m on Ronaldo!

£50m for Torres is a good deal.
- He will come good, we all know it.
- He''s selling thousands of shirts.
- He''s promoting Chelsea''s image.
- It''s taken Chelsea to spain.
- It''s created media hype.

- HE IS GENERATING NON STOP MONEY.

£35m on Carroll is slightly over priced, but the money will come back to Liverpool.
- He''s young
- He''s good
- He''s selling shirts
- He''s making people aware Liverpool can still spend.
- It''s created media hype.
- He''s a future England star.
- He''s a goal scoring premier league forward.

- HE IS GENERATING NON STOP MONEY.

[/quote]

For what it''s worth I basically go along with what you''re saying there but you don''t often find that''s how people look at these things when they''re discussing transfer fees and player values.

It tends just to be the case that people think that the supposed transfer fee should marry up to their opinion of the overall ability of the player.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Lincoln Yellow"]Still going on about price tags for players? Was the same thing with the £80m on Ronaldo!£50m for Torres is a good deal. - He will come good, we all know it. - He''s selling thousands of shirts.- He''s promoting Chelsea''s image.- It''s taken Chelsea to spain.- It''s created media hype.- HE IS GENERATING NON STOP MONEY.£35m on Carroll is slightly over priced, but the money will come back to Liverpool.- He''s young- He''s good- He''s selling shirts- He''s making people aware Liverpool can still spend.- It''s created media hype.- He''s a future England star.- He''s a goal scoring premier league forward.- HE IS GENERATING NON STOP MONEY.

[/quote]

For what it''s worth I basically go along with what you''re saying there but you don''t often find that''s how people look at these things when they''re discussing transfer fees and player values.

It tends just to be the case that people think that the supposed transfer fee should marry up to their opinion of the overall ability of the player.

[/quote]You don''t buy anything without consequences do you. A 2 bedroom flat in Central London will cost 15 times the price of a 4 bedroom house up north. Just because they look the same, or look a hell of a lot different, you have to look at the bigger picture!

[quote user="Lincoln Yellow"]Still going on about price tags for players? Was the same thing with the £80m on Ronaldo!£50m for Torres is a good deal. - He will come good, we all know it. - He''s selling thousands of shirts.- He''s promoting Chelsea''s image.- It''s taken Chelsea to spain.- It''s created media hype.- HE IS GENERATING NON STOP MONEY.£35m on Carroll is slightly over priced, but the money will come back to Liverpool.- He''s young- He''s good- He''s selling shirts- He''s making people aware Liverpool can still spend.- It''s created media hype.- He''s a future England star.- He''s a goal scoring premier league forward.- HE IS GENERATING NON STOP MONEY.[/quote]I see what you''re saying with Torres, but Carroll doesn''t quite have the same pull.But yeah, it does happen- Real Madrid reckon they sold 1.2m shirts with Ronaldo on the back in Madrid alone during his first season at €85m each, thus recouping his transfer fee. Whether or not that is actually true or just the usual bullshit spouted by Florentino Perez, I don''t know. But I have my doubts.

[quote user="priceyrice"]I wish this was a transfer rumour! Just wondering if anyone remembers the situation under Roeder when we were linked with Carrol a few times- what was the price floating about then that we couldn''t afford- was it something like 2.5M? would have been one hell of an investment!
[/quote]

I honestly would not take him over Holt. From what i''ve seen of him I think he is a vastly overrated player and in time people will see that. The fact he is now in the England team is embarrassing. Decent in the air but thats about it.

Carroll will disappear into oblivion very quickly. Another bad egg being lauded as ''the next big thing'' who will turn out to be an expensive flop... hounded along the way by the media.Give me the likes of  Grant Holt anyday.

Me too, given Carrols experience and record I would suggest 5-10 M would be a realistic price (personally I wouldn''t buy him if I had the money) he may turn out to be a bargain but I''d suggest you would have better odds putting the cash on the lottery.