Sign in to follow this  
Archie

Dean Aston Interview

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]For heaven''s sake....He''s made a wad out of football and bailed out of Norwich at the earliest opportunity.... then gets injured. A ''tragedy''?Try telling that to a lad who''s had his legs blown off in the armed services and will have to live on benefits for the rest of his life. Unfortunate yes.... but have some perspective FFS.[/quote]

Whereas what you''re saying is true, and I do not argue with that fact, we are afterall discussing football on a football forum mate - and in that context then yes I agree, it was a shame or ''tragedy'' what happened to Dean Ashton. We must be realistic and remember that sadly the days have gone by when the starting 11 was made up of local lads who probably supported their club in question - Darren Huckerby is a classic example however of a modern footballer, albeit not local, whom ended up loving and supporting a club he played for - namely us, and was loyal to the bitter end - Apart from his legendary ability, that has made him one of, if not, the most popular player in our clubs history, The reality was, is that Dean, like most of our past and present players, was not a Norwich fan per se sadly and therefore would have no special reason to stay at the club, though admittedly I do remember feeling really miffed when he departed, but I can''t say I feel any resentment to him now, far from it infact. Basically, it''s just the modern game sadly and I''ve (sort of) got used to it.

Plus totally agree with the poster who made the analogy about SWP and reason to apologise - An interesting slant!. Also, very funny Mr Chops!

[quote user="Jem"]A truly great striker BUT I have to admit that I am one of those that will never give him a good reception at Norwich for the manner of his departure and the disingenuous way he treated the club. He said give me a new contract and I will stay and then at the first opportunity played injured so he wasn''t cup tied and then left and tool a proportion of the transfer fee also. One of the best strikers we have ever had but left me with a really bad taste in my mouth[/quote]he didnt play injured.. the club had a medical scan. plus it took him 4 weeks to play for the spammers. We offered a young striker a new contract at the start of the season, put yourself in Dean Ashtons place...put aside for a moment you are a Norwich fan... you signed for a club in the premiership, that were relegated.In the championship you scored goals and wanted that team to challenge only to see it was going backwards under the manager and that mid table beckoned. you were 22 years old... what would you do? stay at mid table championship club for 3 years and miss the chance of playing at a higher level (see Ricky Lambert as an example)or stay with the club til january, be honest about the situation, better prospects, more money.... finish the season with a cup runners up medal and go on to play for england? it''s not a hard choice is it..So Jem, have you ever left a job to go somewhere with better prospects, more money, more opportunities? if you say yes then you are "no better" than Dean AShton are you?

A very good striker without doubt but was he really the best striker ever to play for Norwich? 

Chris Sutton - did a lot more for city and was certainly more succeful than Dean in what was of course a longer career.

Craig Bellamy - again I would say better for city and more sucessful when he moved on (if only he was not such a prat he could have had a great career)

What about Phil Boyer and Ted MacDougall - who is old enough to remember these two playing together before we sold Boyer to pay for the RiverEnd stand?

No doubt the even older posters on here will have an argument for Ron Davies and others I never saw play

More namby pamby nonsense about a lad who probably has more money in the bank (plus a sizeable pension) than most will ever see in a lifetime.I don''t give a toss where he went or when he went there... tragedy it isn''t... unfortunate it is. I also suggest that you view being a ''footballer'' as a job for Ashton like any other and that there are thousands of people every year who have to leave such a job due to injury or ill health.It''s called life... and Ashton was lucky to have the time in the game he did.