Sign in to follow this  
Archie

Dean Aston Interview

To those who say he''s nothing to do with Norwich now... Interesting points he makes about his time at Carrow Road, and how he''s dealt with retirement generally - well worth a readhttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1371652/Dean-Ashton-taking-time-rediscover-football-love.html

He comes across as a really decent person, although I seem to remember quite a lot of malice felt towards him by a few here (perhaps because of the manner of his departure?) Good for him for getting on with life though, and realising that he had much more than some of his pals at Crewe.

What a player he was, head, both feet - He had the lot. I really thought he''d prove to be better than Shearer in the end, and still believe he would have been - A very sad ending indeed. I''ll never forget his goal for us against Man City... Brilliant. And why a Norwich ''fan(??)'' had to make up that Betty Swollocks about him I''ll never know, and never understand either!. Top drawer player...

Decent fellow. Superb striker in my view who would have gone on to great things at the senior England level if it weren''t for his tragic injury history. We were lucky to have had him for a while.

Perhaps the eeeediots will shut up now.

One love.

OTBC

He obviously has a soft spot for Norwich even with all the crap he had here over his move for West Ham, living in Norfolk, Ambassador for the Charity in Norwich and was a pundit for Sky in the Bristol game.

I think he will probably get back in the game as a coach, shame though, would have been interesting seeing the Ashton Rooney partnership, I think it would massively work.

will probably get laughed at but imo the best striker this country has produced in the last 20 years... Twice the player of rooney and a dam shame he never got the chance to prove it.

If Andy Carroll worth £35m, if Dean had stayed fit he would have gone for at least this and City would get 20% of the £25m increase in value.  DA the most complete striker produced in recent memory.  Such a shame the wasted talent brought toan abrupt end by Wright Philips. 

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]will probably get laughed at but imo the best striker this country has produced in the last 20 years... Twice the player of rooney and a dam shame he never got the chance to prove it.[/quote]

Not from me you won''t Jas - I agree. It was obvious to me also that he was extra special, great shooting with both feet for a start gave him an edge over most of his rivals.

A truly great striker BUT I have to admit that I am one of those that will never give him a good reception at Norwich for the manner of his departure and the disingenuous way he treated the club. He said give me a new contract and I will stay and then at the first opportunity played injured so he wasn''t cup tied and then left and tool a proportion of the transfer fee also. One of the best strikers we have ever had but left me with a really bad taste in my mouth

I agree with the majority of posters on here, what a privelage it was to have him play for the club, however i would add that although SWP caused the injury, their is no evidence to say it was deliberate, so does he have to appologise? (dont want to be a hate figure, just purely playing devils advocate, after all injuries are part of the game i am afraid)

Cheers for the link Archie. The way the game has gone in recent years, with teams playing one up front who needs to be mobile, skillful and adept at linking the play, there is no doubt in my mind that he would have gone on to play at the very highest level for a long time.

[quote user="festagingermon"]I agree with the majority of posters on here, what a privelage it was to have him play for the club, however i would add that although SWP caused the injury, their is no evidence to say it was deliberate, so does he have to appologise? (dont want to be a hate figure, just purely playing devils advocate, after all injuries are part of the game i am afraid)[/quote]

If I trip someone up accidentally in the street I say sorry, I were to do it intentionally I wouldn''t!!

For heaven''s sake....He''s made a wad out of football and bailed out of Norwich at the earliest opportunity.... then gets injured. A ''tragedy''?Try telling that to a lad who''s had his legs blown off in the armed services and will have to live on benefits for the rest of his life. Unfortunate yes.... but have some perspective FFS.

Re: Dean Aston Interview

For heaven''s sake....

He''s made a wad out of football and bailed out of Norwich at the earliest opportunity.... then gets injured. A ''tragedy''?

Try telling that to a lad who''s had his legs blown off in the armed services and will have to live on benefits for the rest of his life. Unfortunate yes.... but have some perspective FFS.

Hear hear - Spot on mr c - the voice of reason and common sense

[quote user="Jem"] One of the best strikers we have ever had but left me with a really bad taste in my mouth[/quote]Aren''t we trying to put these rumours to one side and move on?

[quote user="Attleborough_Canary"]

[quote user="festagingermon"]I agree with the majority of posters on here, what a privelage it was to have him play for the club, however i would add that although SWP caused the injury, their is no evidence to say it was deliberate, so does he have to appologise? (dont want to be a hate figure, just purely playing devils advocate, after all injuries are part of the game i am afraid)[/quote]

If I trip someone up accidentally in the street I say sorry, I were to do it intentionally I wouldn''t!!

[/quote]

When you put it like that i can see your point!

my son idolised him.. got him a new kit , a shirt with ashtons name on it for his birthday in october 2005 .. 2 months after he signed a new contract, by january he had gone to west ham, not disputing he was a great player and always seemed a decent bloke but i was bloody  livid at the time [:D]

If he hadn''t of moved he wouldn''t have got his England cap...come on guys part and parcel of this game we love and hate...I could never begrudge someone who moves clubs to further their careers...and people who do need to put themselves in the situation he found himself in, and make an honest answer to what they''d have done.

quite simply the best #9 i saw at Norwich in 30 odd years of watching, the goal against Man City at home in premier lge was sheer class would have in my mind gone on to be one of the best #9`s this country had produced for years ended by one tackle :( good luck Dean quality player and he seams like a nice guy as well ...........