Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Who's the better judge of a striker?

Lambert or Gunn

Lambert is obviously an exceptionally fine judge of goalkeepers, defenders and mid-fielders, but I would suggest that the jury must still be out somewhat on strikers given that their basic job is to score goals regularly over time..

GUNN;

Holt

Martin

McDonald

LAMBERT

Jackson

Johnson

Wilbraham

and now

Pacheco

Vokes

I guess we''ll know after the last 8 games.

If Lambert''s got the last two right I reckon we''ll surge back into the Prem like an express train.

OTBC

Not sure you can give Martin to Gunn as he was already here but Gunn did get him playing well,

Gunn may have signed Holt but I do not believe enough credit goes to Lambert in how well he gets Holt to play. On paper Holt was a lower league striker and Lambert has risen him up to top Championship level,

How did Gunn get Martin playing well? Martin has one competitive league game under Gunn, and that was against Colchester. He, like most players, was atrocious that day.

Lambert got Martin playing well, not Gunn.

[quote user="CanaryJames"]How did Gunn get Martin playing well? Martin has one competitive league game under Gunn, and that was against Colchester. He, like most players, was atrocious that day. Lambert got Martin playing well, not Gunn.[/quote]

I was thinking he played under him at the end of the 08/09 season but he was of course at Luton.

I retract my comment [:$]

I''d say Gunn has a better eye for a striker. He got in Holt, who is turning out to be one of my favourite players since I started going to games 13/14 years ago. Lambert is a brilliant manager and is only going to improve, but that doesn''t mean he can''t get things wrong and he has got a few things wrong especially when buying strikers. People like to think Lambert is perfect and Gunny didn''t do anything right. But If Gunn didn''t bring in Holt, would we even be in this League, let alone challenging for promotion again? I''m not too sure. PL can pick a bl00dy good midfielder though, probably as he was a brilliant player in that position. I don''t know, maybe Gunn know more about a decent striker as he had to face them all the time as a player, being a ''keeper?!?! Although Holt was the only real good striker Gunn brought in, he is a lot better than any Lambert has got in. But, this doesn''t mean I would rather BG here than PL!!

When we signed Holt, I believe we had competition from another team- Colchester. I remember Lambert was very keen to get him in but Holt was always going to choose us, even if Colchester could find the fee. I think it was another attraction for him taking the City job- he''d finally got his man.

That aside, it was obvious Holt was hot property and bound to do very well in League 1. Not Rocket Science, but a great signing. I have to say that Gunn did well to spot Cody''s potential. Did he cost us 25K or something?

Last season''s strike force were perfect. It''s been harder for Lambert this season as we are playing in a better quality league. We know he hasn''t had a big budget to play with and strikers is the position where prices are so inflated.

Perhaps we should reserve judgement for when he manages in the Premiership and should have a bit of money to play with??

This subject has been brought up before. I think because of McNamee or Oli suddenly becoming bench warmers at best, then Jackson''s weaknesses coming to fore and then the signing of Wilbraham. The latter seems to have some support and plays to his strengths. All this meant that some, including me, doubted Lambert''s ability in this department. Not over-critical really, just some slight doubts.  

As pointed out above, we will know soon about PL and strikers. I am optimistic.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]Lambert or Gunn

Lambert is obviously an exceptionally fine judge of goalkeepers, defenders and mid-fielders, but I would suggest that the jury must still be out somewhat on strikers given that their basic job is to score goals regularly over time..

GUNN;

Holt

Martin

McDonald

LAMBERT

Jackson

Johnson

Wilbraham

and now

Pacheco

Vokes

I guess we''ll know after the last 8 games.

If Lambert''s got the last two right I reckon we''ll surge back into the Prem like an express train.

OTBC[/quote]Seems to be some very convenient ommissions concerning Gunn - how about Mooney? Gow? Lee? Killen??? Maric????Mooney is just about cutting it in League One for Colchester, with a distinctly average 13 goals in 38 appearances.Gow is currently playing for League One Notts County, 19th, with 1 goal in 16 appearances. Lee is at Huddersfield, with 1 goal in 31 appearances. As for Killen, well he is in all fairness setting the league alight... In ''CHINA''.And Maric? Well he''s hardly taken a step up in the world, now plying his trade in the depths of Hungary.Please, let''s not delude ourselves. Bryan Gunn was only as apt in the market (and his job as manager - in general) as the systems and networks that surrounded, and unfortunately, had to support him, whereas Paul Lambert, and his team proactively search, and at least do some reading into not only the talents, but personalities of the players they were pursuing.You simply can''t tell me the teams that turned up at Reading or Charlton, as we stood on the verge of relegation, stood with any such merit compared to what we''ve seen under Lambert (and that applies to everyone - from Wilbraham to Stephen Elliott). For at least, under the current regime, we can understand there is a certain criteria and ethos that guides us in the market, calculated and mindful at the very least.Under Gunn, bar McDonald and Holt, it was just a mindless venture to buy players that may have been from mildly attractive clubs, or had been partially proven to hit some form now and again at the level we were at.

The only thing that really matters is who is the better judge of assembling a fully functioning football team which is capable of winning games on a regular basis. And there is only one winner in that contest. This obsession some people have with the relative goalscoring statistics of individual strikers is a little childish. Goals are overrated [:P]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

Let''s not forget the Gunn signing of Goran Maric or the second coming of WLY.

[/quote]Or the inspired ''third coming'' of Jamie Cureton who had been farmed off to Barnsley by then if you remember. Those two goals in twenty something apps sure came in handy.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

WORTHINGTON - EARNSHAW & ASHTON!

[/quote]And if I remember correctly worthy also despatched a Mr. B. Gunn (as scout) to watch a certain Mr. G. Holt play.

[quote user="The Butler"]And also bought and played Gary the Donkey Doc as a striker!![/quote]

Not to mention Matty Svensson and Peter Crouch on loan.

I feel that Lambert has assembled a much better team ethos than Gunn, Roeder or Grant. Also, how much money has Lambert been given, since many of his acquisitions (or in fact most) have been from the lower leagues as well.

Just imagine what team we''d have if PL had been given the same money as the managers mentioned above or even Worthington? I will agree that some of his striker additions have not been as good as midfield our defensive acquisitions but is that down to financial limitations?

I am in the PL camp rather than the Gunn one!!

I''m not convinced having more transfer money would have helped Paul Lambert to create any more success this season. What he has done is ''given certain people a chance'' - and those players have been carefully selected beforehand. No big-time Charlies, but honest players with a good level of technical skill that want to run for him (following Martin O''Neill''s advice).

It''s called people management - and like Martin O''Neill, Paul Lambert has it off to a fine art.

Some great coaching support from Culverhouse too - and plenty more of the same from McNally and the rest of the board.

PS: I believe the loan signing of Pacheco will end any lingering doubts about PL''s ability to spot a talented striker. Looking at the videos, that boy looks hungry!...