Sign in to follow this  
whoareyou?

13 points enough for us?

It might just be enough but you''d certainly never hear Lambert saying that - he''ll have the players believing they can still catch QPR..I''d be pretty gutted if Swansea went up in second with 69 points - I think we''re on course for 81-82..Would you take 80 points right now?

[quote user="rondy"]It might just be enough but you''d certainly never hear Lambert saying that - he''ll have the players believing they can still catch QPR..I''d be pretty gutted if Swansea went up in second with 79 points - I think we''re on course for 81-82..Would you take 80 points right now?[/quote]

[quote user="whoareyou"]

I''ve done a quick check. Rodgers is talking rubbish.

80 points would only have got you promoted automatically once in the last ten years.

85 seems more realistic and some seasons even 90 would not have been enough.

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/league-championship/honours

[/quote]

Perhaps he wanted to April Fool the other contenders?

I think if we average 2 points a game and get 83 we should get 2nd, unless Swansea go on a crazy run of form. I don''t want to discredit the other 7 games but I feel the Swansea game will decided the season, if they win, they''ll get it. If we win or draw it will be ours to through away.

I see us getting another 16 points along the way, that comes from some guessing at results, whilst it still maintains our 2points a game form average which we have had for some time now. As long as we dont lose to Swansea 16 points will do

I posted several weeks ago and a number of times since that 80 could be enough and put it into terms of wins and draws required.

As it happens I see Cardiff as the bigger danger based upon teams yet to be played by the contenders.

Fortunately, the only thing that matters is this Saturday and a home win to put us on 70 points with 7 games remaining. I fancy Preston to take points off Swansea and for them to have to face us next week knowing they cannot overtake us by beating us and with a tinge of desperation as Cardiff overhaul them.

I don''t see Leeds as a threat for second place tbh, nor Reading and quite fancy an all Welsh play off final.

I feel more concerned about tomorrow''s game than next weeks as we only need to draw at Swansea and won''t be facing the sort of packed defence Scunny will present.

Happy days!

[quote user="whoareyou"]

I''ve done a quick check. Rodgers is talking rubbish.

80 points would only have got you promoted automatically once in the last ten years.

85 seems more realistic and some seasons even 90 would not have been enough.

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/league-championship/honours

[/quote]

The true story is actually between the two.  Youre looking at points for the 2nd place team - whereas you actually need to look at the points gained by the team in 3rd:

2009-10   79

2008-09   80

2007-08   75 P

2006-07   84 P

2005-06   81 P

and add one to the total

Beyond that it was generally a higher points table with the 3rd place team actually getting NINETY points in 97/98

Forest         94

M''boro       91

Sunderland 90

Charlton     88 P

Ips***        83

Sheff U       74

That season was also the ONLY time in the last 15 years that the 4th place side went up via the playoffs

Ahh i see. Still i would have thought 80 points was a relatively low target to aim for.

I reckon we should be looking at at least 85 points to be certain which is 6 wins or 5 wins and two draws.I reckon we are capable of that.

I think if we make 82 or more it will be enough - probably even if we lost to Swansea. I doubt 80 will be the final total for the 2nd placed team. We can but wait and see. All we can do at the minute is go out and get 3 points and see if the others can keep up. A win on Saturday combined with Cardiff failing to win could see them pretty much out of the race. Less than a win for us could see Cardiff come almost level with us and make it a 3, 4 or even 5 way fight for 2nd.

It''s excellent news that Brendan Rodgers is concerning himself with how few points his team might need to get by. That style of thinking means Swansea are almost certain to come up short.

It''s the hurdle race scenario; focus on, and successfully clear each barrier and the finish takes care of itself. Focus on the finish line and you tend to clatter into an obstacle when you least expected to.

The phrase ''taking one game at a time'' is SO relevant...

So which results are the the ones youre not guessing at, I hope we can pick up 5pt on our travels & 10pts at carrow road, as long as we collect at least a point at swansea that should be enough although we may need to get something on the last day to make sure

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

It''s excellent news that Brendan Rodgers is concerning himself with how few points his team might need to get by. That style of thinking means Swansea are almost certain to come up short.

It''s the hurdle race scenario; focus on, and successfully clear each barrier and the finish takes care of itself. Focus on the finish line and you tend to clatter into an obstacle when you least expected to.

The phrase ''taking one game at a time'' is SO relevant...

[/quote]

Spot on.  Concentrate on the Swansea game and we may lose tomorrow.  If we just concentrate on winning the next game we shouldn''t have to worry about the others

Ihave said for some time 82 is going to be enough this year could be at piswich if we win the next 5 but our overall for the last 20 odd games has been 1.9 if we continue at this rate portsmouth wont matter. we have already got 2 points a game for our last 10 gamesjust 15 needed

Totally right mentality. Lambert has them aiming for QPR. We don''t need to be fearing who might overtake us. Rodgers is giving out the wrong signals.........unless it''s mind games of course!

83 points

that''s what we will achieve

will it get us up ?

yep