Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's Report v Scunthorpe

Bouyed up with his pre match Peroni Ricardo strolled up to the game after a two week break that felt more like 2 months.The pleasant spring sunshine and the anticipation of seeing the new faces made it almost seem like a fresh season starting and the question in most peoples minds must have been "can we really push this all the way to the line"? I thought Lambert might hold the new guys on the bench but it was straight in for "el Pacino" as he went for a bit of Hollywood stardust.City kicked off into the sun and the pace was all a bit hectic and untidy in the early minutes. The little spaniard quickly showed his class and vision when he almost got Holt in with a quick cross from the right. As City settled into their passing game a 26k crowd was baying for an early goal and it duly arrived on 10 minutes. "El Pacino" was onto Surmans through ball on the left of goal and his hard cross found Holt lurking only 3 yards out. The keeper did well to parry but could not prevent the ball crossing the line. Surman almost made it two when he latched onto the little Spaniards accurate pass but the shot went inches wide. Delightful passing play almost unlocked the Scunny defence time and again as Holty, Wes and Crofty had shots saved or fizzed them narrowly over the bar. The second goal eventually came on 30 minutes and again it was the little Spanish wizard playing provider. His cute to poke into the area left Holt with only the keeper to beat but Reids tackle brought him down like wheat under a scythe. The inevitable result was a penalty and a red card as an added bonus. Needless to say the big man leathered his second past Murphy with great aplomb.It was exhibition stuff and one way traffic for the remainder of the half and a deserved ovation when the halftime whistle blew.The second half began where the first ended with the Scunny defence being pulled about like an old wet rag. The vision of the little spaniard was warmly applauded as he almost chipped the keeper from the halfway line. As the hour mark approached, Wes stung a post with a 20 yarder and moments later Holt completed his hat trick with a regulation header from a fine Croft centre.With the game virtually won Lambert began to withdraw his main men and in the next 10 minutes Wes, Holty and "El Pacino" all departed to rapturous applause.Lansbury and Jackson came on and we also got our first sight of "The Vokes-wagen". Despite the changes City''s total dominance continued and Jackson finally earned a goal for his persistance. He robbed a defender of possesion and was quick enough to poke the ball under the advancing keeper. So great was this boost to his confidence that moments later he added a second when he nudged in Lansburys cross from the right. Fun and games ensued with City now passing Scunthorpe off the park and there were several other close escapes as Lansbury, Vokes and Tierney were all narrowly foiled. Injury time arrived so did the inevitable injury time goal the superb Surman picked up a loose ball made 10 yards and slipped a low ball into the box for Jackson to slot home the second hat trick of the afternoon. It was dreamland and as the Swansea score came in Ricardo could imagine no better script for a perfect day.The defence was solid throughout, Fox swung the ball about with accurate long passes. Surman was superb and Wes was his usual handful.Croft full of power and drive and Holty was simply Holty. Jackson showed he is still up for the fight and "The Vokes-wagen" looked to have plenty of power in reserve.Some people say you need to give a player a dozen or so games to see if he''s good enough. Ricardo''s question is, did anyone need more than a dozen or so minutes to see the quality of Pacheco???? No I thought not.Anyone agree with me now that we won''t be found wanting in the run to the line?

A good eloquent report as ever Ricardo. I believe we have a strong enough squad and plenty of firepower now in midfield and up front to see us finish in 2nd place. Only concern is Wes'' injury as in most games he is the Team''s heartbeat, although there is more than enough quality in the squad for us to keep ahead of the chasing pack.

A beautifully written introduction to your piece, Ricardo. Yes, on reflection it did have a ''new season'' feel; well observed.

Can I take it that you don''t think we will miss Wilbraham in the short term?

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

A beautifully written introduction to your piece, Ricardo. Yes, on reflection it did have a ''new season'' feel; well observed.

Can I take it that you don''t think we will miss Wilbraham in the short term?

[/quote]I think you can take that as read RH. I know some people love the Wheeliebin and I concede that he has made his contribution but I think we will be looking to the "Vokes-wagen" to drive us home should any misfortune befall Holty.

Six goals to nil is fantastic but for me the little things matter just as much.

In first half injury time Holty hard chased a hopeful crossfield ball towards the City Stand in a a desperate but doomed effort to keep it in. We were 2 - 0 up, the warm day was creating a sophorific crowd and most players were thinking of the break.....but not him.  On a day when we had so much possession against passive opposition we could easily have lapsed; but not with a captain''s example like this.

The side worked really hard to win the ball back whenever lost and the sight of Fox ploughing into tackles shows how much this player has improved his all round game.

Pacheco was absolutely everywhere and constantly wanted the ball. Great workrate and attitude coupled with ability.

The possession is fantastic. We simply rotate it around the back four and Fox and the opposition can do nothing without the ball. Compare this to England vs. Ghana and their World Cup like 3 pass possession and loss of the ball. Clearly, PL is playing a continental style game and the Norwich supporters are getting used to it and accordingly are not only patient and understanding but actually seeing the beauty of this type of play. I thought it was wonderfull. We have good passers all through the side, we only lack movement on occasions.

I have never seen a Norwich side look so professional and clinical in their approach to a game. We were ruthless and the improved goal difference means that not only are we four points above rivals but those rivals could need to score five points to overhaul us; which is a win and two draws or two wins better than us in seven games.

Paul Lambert, who wears Bermuda shorts and a sleeveless vest all winter was mysteriously wrapped up in a thick coat today. But putting that oddity aside he can be congratulated for every player decision today and in the build up. I wonder whether the acheivement of back to back promotions would be the greatest ever feat by any Norwich manager making him our greatest ever manager as a result?

And now, after a Chilli and a bottle of Rioja I am a very happy Canary who is already looking forward to next Saturday and a party around the televised game. I believe Cardiff are the main threat and we could confirm that by having it in our power to put Swansea out of the race.

OTBC.

[quote user="ricardo"]Bouyed up with his pre match Peroni Ricardo strolled up to the game after a two week break that felt more like 2 months.The pleasant spring sunshine and the anticipation of seeing the new faces made it almost seem like a fresh season starting and the question in most peoples minds must have been "can we really push this all the way to the line"? I thought Lambert might hold the new guys on the bench but it was straight in for "el Pacino" as he went for a bit of Hollywood stardust.

City kicked off into the sun and the pace was all a bit hectic and untidy in the early minutes. The little spaniard quickly showed his class and vision when he almost got Holt in with a quick cross from the right. As City settled into their passing game a 26k crowd was baying for an early goal and it duly arrived on 10 minutes. "El Pacino" was onto Surmans through ball on the left of goal and his hard cross found Holt lurking only 3 yards out. The keeper did well to parry but could not prevent the ball crossing the line. Surman almost made it two when he latched onto the little Spaniards accurate pass but the shot went inches wide. Delightful passing play almost unlocked the Scunny defence time and again as Holty, Wes and Crofty had shots saved or fizzed them narrowly over the bar.

The second goal eventually came on 30 minutes and again it was the little Spanish wizard playing provider. His cute to poke into the area left Holt with only the keeper to beat but Reids tackle brought him down like wheat under a scythe. The inevitable result was a penalty and a red card as an added bonus. Needless to say the big man leathered his second past Murphy with great aplomb.It was exhibition stuff and one way traffic for the remainder of the half and a deserved ovation when the halftime whistle blew.

The second half began where the first ended with the Scunny defence being pulled about like an old wet rag. The vision of the little spaniard was warmly applauded as he almost chipped the keeper from the halfway line. As the hour mark approached, Wes stung a post with a 20 yarder and moments later Holt completed his hat trick with a regulation header from a fine Croft centre.

With the game virtually won Lambert began to withdraw his main men and in the next 10 minutes Wes, Holty and "El Pacino" all departed to rapturous applause.Lansbury and Jackson came on and we also got our first sight of "The Vokes-wagen". Despite the changes City''s total dominance continued and Jackson finally earned a goal for his persistance. He robbed a defender of possesion and was quick enough to poke the ball under the advancing keeper. So great was this boost to his confidence that moments later he added a second when he nudged in Lansburys cross from the right. Fun and games ensued with City now passing Scunthorpe off the park and there were several other close escapes as Lansbury, Vokes and Tierney were all narrowly foiled. Injury time arrived so did the inevitable injury time goal the superb Surman picked up a loose ball made 10 yards and slipped a low ball into the box for Jackson to slot home the second hat trick of the afternoon. It was dreamland and as the Swansea score came in Ricardo could imagine no better script for a perfect day.

The defence was solid throughout, Fox swung the ball about with accurate long passes. Surman was superb and Wes was his usual handful.Croft full of power and drive and Holty was simply Holty. Jackson showed he is still up for the fight and "The Vokes-wagen" looked to have plenty of power in reserve.

Some people say you need to give a player a dozen or so games to see if he''s good enough. Ricardo''s question is, did anyone need more than a dozen or so minutes to see the quality of Pacheco???? No I thought not.

Anyone agree with me now that we won''t be found wanting in the run to the line?
[/quote]

I''m with you Ricardo, this is the most dependable City team I think I can remember. Loving it and very proud of them!!!! [Y]

I don''t think Lambert will be going any where else too fast. Why would he ?

Two years to build up a club structure (playing side) that is his and his methods alone. he has a chief executive and a board giving him and the club full backing.

There is nothing he cannot achieve in so many targets with that kind of infrastructure. Why would he risk that to jump ship where the'' grass might not be soo greener''.

Yes he will move on, but move upwards. Properly upwards not silly habitual failures.His move will be one of the top four or five or maybe abroad.

So stop panicking any of youir panicky panickers - and apologies for highjacking the thread.

On thread I agree with the points above about the fighting spirit. And I don''t wish to deride the intent behind the commitment of the palyers but as the chap next to me said at half time when rummanating on the same player committment. Some of these lads were kicking their heels in the lower leagues a year back - they now have the chance to play in the top league, where a three year, 20 grand a week contract will see them earning £3m. They must know the worth of the next few games - probably more than we do !