Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

Jackson 7 Martin 6

so then all you moaners on here, what do you say now about jackson? He now moves ahead of Chris Martin in goals scored this season and after all his knocking hes had on here its time to say well done and get off his back!!!

[quote user="baldyboy"]so then all you moaners on here, what do you say now about jackson? He now moves ahead of Chris Martin in goals scored this season and after all his knocking hes had on here its time to say well done and get off his back!!![/quote]Agreed

This would have done Jackson''s confidence the world of good.  Who knows, he could now turn out to be a super sub and score some important goals...

Also am I right in saying that 2 out of 6 of Martin''s goals were in a cup game against League 2 Gillingham, whereas all of Jackson''s have came in the Championship? Not having a dig at Martin because he has a lot more to his game than just scoring, but just for comparison purposes

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Chris Martin offers more from his all round play though.[/quote]

Definitely does with his 2 assists in 32 games. How do we cope without him! 

Jackson didn''t showboat in his celebrations either. I know we were already 3 - 0 up against 10 men but the goals must have meant a lot to him. He is obviously well grounded and seemed to suggest he was relieved to get back on the score sheet and this is yet another pointer towards the team spirit and mentality of the squad. In interview later Holty said he was more pleased for Simeon than for himself.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Chris Martin offers more from his all round play though.[/quote]

Can''t agree with this really. I see what you mean to an extent but, let''s be honest, we already have the best midfield in the championship so what we need from our strikers are goals and I really do think that Jackson is more clinical here   

Don''t get me wrong Chris Martin hasn''t scored anywhere near as many goals as he would have liked and should have done but its a very simplistic and narrow-minded view to believe a strikers 1 and only role is to score goals.

And by all round play I don''t just mean assists, there are so many more aspects to the attacking side of the game than just the assist and finish. I propose when Chris Martin is back in the side and fully fit you watch and note how often he is involved in the general play in the opposition half; holding the ball up, laying it off, running into the channels creating space for Hoolahan etc, he is a very intelligent player and does a lot more for the side than just scoring and providing assists although he should by his own standards have done more of.

[quote user="Lewie - Holt Our Saviour"]I may be mistaken but hasnt Jackson only got 5 goals?
[/quote]

League Goals:

Jackson

1 vs Swansea

2 vs Bristol

1 vs Middlesborough

3 vs Scunthorpe

Martin

1 vs Barnsley

1 vs Burnley (I think)

1 vs Derby

1 vs Reading

Overall/regularly, Jackson hasn''t been good enough this season and nor has Chris Martin which is a big reason why we''ve just brought in 2 loanee strikers!

That said, I thought that Jackson looked sharper against Bristol City the other week and took his goals well.

Both Martin and Jackson can help us over the line even if theres are only minor roles!

Well done simeon, but I do think that martin is better. But he has underperformed, Problem was jackson hasn''t stepped up before to challenge an underperforming c. martin.

You are quite right though that martins game of making space, intelligent runs, passes is something jackson will never possess. But I am happy that on the bench he will no longer be so anxious. Who knows what his future holds but certainly the team can only reap the rewards of confidence flowing throughout the team.

It has been pointed out before that Jackson game does not always fit in with the style we play.

Jackson doesn''t link up with his teammates as well as Chrissy Martin does, however his goals today were brilliant, and he is clearly going to be a man with confidence now which is simply great news for us.

Jackson has goal scoring instinct, just when he''s been in the positions to score recently he''s been shot of confidence to bury them, if Hoolahan is out next week i''d go with Holt and Jackson with Pacheco in the Hoolahan role.

Why is it evertime one player has a good game we have to use it as a stick to beat another player. I personally prefer Martins all round game compared to Jacksons, but i''ll be absolutely thrilled if Jackson goes on to rattle in another 4-5 goals before the end of the season.

[quote user="baldyboy"]but the main thing a striker is judged on is goals and Martins return is poor!![/quote]

Thats quite an ignorant comment. You saying, if Holt only scored 8 this season, but still put in all the work etc that he does, you would be saying he''s poor? And Liverpool''s most consistent player of the last 3 season (maybe why they are so poor) a striker, who has scored about 20 over that time. And players like Wilbraham who are there to hold the ball up more than anything.

I would like to say Jackson has done well, but you have just been waiting for this moment to have another go at C.Martin, only this time you think you have a stat to back you up.

Jackson proved today, he does know how to finish, and chances in the box like that he will be finishing, and that is something he is better than Martin at. But that doesn''t mean Martin is rubbish. So please give it a rest.

Jackson may have scored more goals, but Martin gets us more points.

If you removed Jackson''s goals we would have 2 less points. (Would have drawn with Boro and still beaten Swansea, Bristol city and Scunny)

If you removed Martin''s we would have drawn not won against Barnsley and Derby and lost not draw against Reading and Burnley. This is worth 6 point to us.

Just putting it out there.

When Jackson arrived here, all the Gills players and management said they were delighted for him as he was a hard worker on the training ground and very down to earth.

Sounds like he has a good character and will never give up, no matter how much he gets bashed and how long he goes without a goal.

Nice one Simeon - you will be an important player in the run in.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]Why is it evertime one player has a good game we have to use it as a stick to beat another player. I personally prefer Martins all round game compared to Jacksons, but i''ll be absolutely thrilled if Jackson goes on to rattle in another 4-5 goals before the end of the season.[/quote]

Spot on ..... couldn''t agree more with every point raised.

Just want to mention, after all the stick he''s got, he''d still be second in Forest''s top scorers!