Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

Only 63%

Although im chuffed with today, result wise and performance wise, I was looking at BBC Sport stats and they said the possesion was 63%-37%. I was at the game and listening to Radio Norfolk aswell, and I agreed when they said ''It has to be around 70%-20% or 80%-20%''. I know im being incredibally picky but...:/

As it''s a pretty meaninigless statistic I shouldn''t worry

you might however care to wonder how this nonsense is cobbled tohether - after that you might understand why it is worthless

two clues -

defender punts the ball down the line where it runs out of play, the ball is retrieved and thrown to the keeper who is on the winning side, who takes his time to finally hoof it up field where is knocked out for a throw - how you work out who was in possession during that time (and more importantly, how on earth does it tell you anything about who was having the better game)

who do you think is being paid to attend the game and sit and record such nonsense ... and who is picking up the bill ?

Its a little old lady with a stop-watch, she clicks it every time City lose/gain  possession and then does a calculation at the end of the game.

Her husband adds up the "assists" and emails them to the press after the game.

As for "passes successful" etc.  A group of experienced train-spotters are responsible for these statistics.

To be more serious, I remember once seeing a calculation of the amount of time a player has on the ball in the course of ninety minutes and it was just 3/4 minutes at most. The rest is running around.

Another statistic that is surprising is the amount of time the ball is "out of play" during a game ie for throw-ins, free-kicks, injuries etc.

Perhaps the little old lady would be best employed calculating this with a view to a refund on the season ticket price each year? 

[quote user="yellow hammer"]You have to remember that the ball being in the back of the net six times counts as an awful lot of possession for Scunny.[/quote]

(-_ -)

Yes, but to be even more pedantic. Is it possession when the ball is in play only?  It must be and if so you would need two little old ladies.

Yes, 63% City possession yesterday must be wrong.That must be one of the most one-sided games I''ve ever seen. We were pinging it around as if in a training session for most of the match and I just can''t see how the stats can say Scunthorpe had over a third of the play.That said, knowing City''s record of helping the weak and infirm such as Doncaster and PNE, I thought we''d up up with a dismal 0-0 draw yesterday so what do I know ?

Do what I do - don''t give a crap about the stats.

They call it posession but it''s not nessisarily posession as in they have the ball at their feet. It includes things like throw ins, goal kicks etc I believe.

At the end of the day goals win games not time with the ball at your feet. The less time we had on the ball makes scoring 6 goals even more impressive.

"Its a little old lady with a stop-watch, she clicks it every time City lose/gain possession and then does a calculation at the end of the game.

Her husband adds up .... "

I never realised that Delia had that much to do on match days

[quote user="City1st"]"Its a little old lady with a stop-watch, she clicks it every time City lose/gain possession and then does a calculation at the end of the game. Her husband adds up .... " I never realised that Delia had that much to do on match days[/quote]

Delia , like me, is probably too pissed on a Saturday afternoon, to take on such an onorous task.