Sign in to follow this  
Chirping Canary

I can really see it now.

Throughout our championship campaign, I''ve always regarded ourselves as a ''weaker side compared to the top teams''. But after todays result, I can really see how much of nuisance we can be to other teams. Does anybody anybody else think the same?...

Yes I have thought like that but throughout the season we''ve proved that we can beat anyone in this Division!

When you watch a team regularly you see all their bad points as well as the good points so you are therefore more critical.

Don''t forget 3 things ...

1. Wes probably won''t play again

2. We still have to go away to Swansea, Watford, Pompey & Town (and host Forest)

3. Scunthorpe were woeful

We''ve got a chance but are 2 games away from dipping back to where we''ve spent most of the season.

We throroughly out played QPR this season, who out of our promotion rivals are comfortably the best side. We have no reason to fear anyone.

I completely agree, still along way to go. If we play like that I have no doubt. Scunthorpe were poor, one of the sad things I saw today was Michael Nelson captaining them, I think deserves better then that.

But in a way I think this scoreline can be extremely dangerous and could cause complacency. I think we need to keep out wits still, and Swansea game the pressure is on them, let''s just go and get a draw there.

[quote user="Chirping Canary"]Throughout our championship campaign, I''ve always regarded ourselves as a ''weaker side compared to the top teams''. But after todays result, I can really see how much of nuisance we can be to other teams. Does anybody anybody else think the same?...[/quote]I''m sure this will not be the last time I say this, but ever since we ran QPR off the park on January 1st, with a tired, virtually 2nd string team, I knew without a doubt that we''d take 2nd spot in the table.I can''t agree that today''s game should be used as a turning point for believing we''re a strong team. Scunny were woeful and played with 10 men. We simply did what was expected and we did it in a clinical fashion.However, the one major positive that I take from today''s result is that finally we did not play down to our opponent''s level. Finally we stuck a team to the sword and didn''t let go for 90 minutes.Also, the clean sheet was a bonus. Now if we can only maintain the same level of play, against the remaining stronger opposition, then we should walk away with 3-1, 2-0, and 1-0 wins. I can not honestly say that I can see any of the remaining teams beating us, unless we fail to turn up.

"But in a way I think this scoreline can be extremely dangerous and could cause complacency."

I would doubt that very, very, very much.

The concentration, application and sheer determination that has got this team to where they are now is not going to suddenly dissipate because they have scored a few ''extra goals'' .

As said elsewhere, for all of these players these next seven games can mean that they could be signing contracts that will set them up financially for the rest of their lives. I''m sorry if that sounds a bit mercenary but that is pretty much a big part of it. The other part is the knowledge that this is one of the best opportunties they have to play on the biggest stages in their career.

Players like Crofts, Fox, Martin, Holt, Tierney etc could easily have imagined a journeyman''s existence around the second or third wrung of the ladder would be their lot are now on the edge of what must be every UK footballers dream.

These are also players that Lambert must think have the necessary desire, commitment and drive to get us there. Thta''s why complancency will not be a factor.

That''s how I see it too City 1st; ultimately we are ALL driven by self interest - and footballers are no different. Most of our current squad are unlikely to be in a position like this ever again. Please be assured, they are most definately focussed on what needs to be achieved!

(PS: I work in the field of Human Peak Performance - business and sport).

I see us finishing anywhere inside the top 6, but not automatic promotion for certain. A win at Swansea would set either us or Cardiff for 2nd spot in my opinion, but a defeat would make a huge difference. This win should keep the confidence of the players up, but I just hope it doesn''t make the players over-confident. It might put some pressure on Swansea next weekend though - we thrash a relegation doomed side 6-0 whilst they lose to a relegation doomed side 2-1, putting them 4 points behind us with a goal difference that''s weaker by 5.

QPR still to get 10 points docked (watch them lose to Sheff U tomorrow as well - Colin will do his home town club a favour).  Top, top, top.  Still euphoric from yesterday?  What does Cantiacci mean - eternal pessimist?

Can''t see QPR being docked points - there hasn''t been anything else about that case for ages. Also can''t see them losing to Sheff Utd, although Utd have got some surprise results recently that has helped us out. I would love both of these to happen to QPR though (docked points and defeat), as we could walk away with the title.

shefcanary - I do usually err on the pessimistic side but with this situation I genuinely feel that people are getting ahead of themselves and setting themselves up for a huge disappointment!

I just can''t believe we will do it! but pray we will!

Wish I had your guts!

I agree with you CC. It''s hard not to but we mustn''t get carried away. I''m desperate for us to get automatic promotion and incredibly worried that we won''t achieve it, and so this is causing me to get really nervous about our remaining fixtures.

Before yesterdays game I too was a bit sceptical of whether we would achieve automatic promotion, yet part of me would have seen not being promoted as a bit of a disappointment due to the fact we have been in the top 6 for most of the season. Now I believe we can do it, and after seeing the effort yesterday I don''t care if we finish 7th or something now, I am 200% proud of what the lads have achieved. Scunthorpe was the first game I had been to since Christmas, and I just got this buzz that I haven''t felt since we last won promotion to the Premier League. We were only playing Scunthorpe, but they did beat Swansea 2-1 a little while back, and we dominated possession and hit the bar at least twice.

I think the bad thing about being a Norwich fan is that we are so used to having to be pessimistic about things, we don''t actually realise how good our squad is. How many teams have a player of Lansbury''s quality sitting on the bench week in week out because he cannot get into the starting line up? I think that fact alone speaks wonders about the strength of the squad, and just what Lambert has achieved.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]Don''t forget 3 things ... 1. Wes probably won''t play again 2. We still have to go away to Swansea, Watford, Pompey & Town (and host Forest) 3. Scunthorpe were woeful We''ve got a chance but are 2 games away from dipping back to where we''ve spent most of the season.[/quote]

CC, the way I see it is that if the magic target is say 82 points, IF we can we need 4 wins out of 7, Cardiff and Swansea need 5 wins, 1 draw, Leeds need 6 wins and Reading need 7 wins and 1 draw, the real pressure is on them. But as you pointed out some very hard games to come, just praying that there are 4 wins in there for us.

"CC, the way I see it is that if the magic target is say 82 points, IF we can we need 4 wins out of 7, Cardiff and Swansea need 5 wins, 1 draw, Leeds need 6 wins and Reading need 7 wins and 1 draw, the real pressure is on them. But as you pointed out some very hard games to come, just praying that there are 4 wins in there for us".

You''re right of course - I would rather be in our position than theirs but that doesn''t mean I feel it is as nailed on as some others do.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]shefcanary - I do usually err on the pessimistic side but with this situation I genuinely feel that people are getting ahead of themselves and setting themselves up for a huge disappointment!

I just can''t believe we will do it! but pray we will!

Wish I had your guts![/quote]

I have to say that I agree with you on this. My heart says top two but, because of the tough run-in we''ve got, I think that we''ll have to settle for a Play Off place. However, I would love to be wrong!