Sign in to follow this  
Yobocop

Grant Holt for England?

And if not why not?

With players like Jay Boothroyd, Matt Jarvis and Kevin Davies getting called up in recent weeks there is surely now a call for our big man to get his chance?

We all know Grant''s capabilities at both Championship and League One level, I think him and Rooney upfront would be devastating and would cause havoc for any international defence.

I know there''s more chance than Jesus coming back than Holt ever playing for England but it frustrates me that a player like Boothroyd got his chance and Holt will be overlooked.

Ive always likened him to Kevin Davies and when my mates call him a pub player and ask what we''ll do next year in Prem, I tell them he''s no worse than Kevin Davies.

Grant is not technically great, but he doesnt need to be, his hustle and bustle causes all sorts of problems and he has a knack of been in the right place at the right time. Which is why he gets goals.

Alot of people doubted he could make the step from Lg1 to Championship, hes proved he can, not just by been the leagues 2nd top scorer but been nominated for the player of the season.

I''m so looking forward to seeing Grant in the PL and causing havoc among some of the prima donnas. He will be up and at them with no fear of the big names, leading from the front and a great example to the younger lads around him.

They said he wouldn''t crack it at Championship level, well the Tractors mostly. He''s even better.

I am beginning to think he will be a force in the Prem. too. Should we go up.

His ability to win important fee-kicks (legally, I add) will be the talking point throughout the season. A lot of those Premiership defenders are a bit rash, moreso than in the other leagues. Holt will rile them to the point of seeing red.

I, for one, can''t wait. 

IF we get promoted Holt will have played in all 4 divisions in 4 consecutive seasons, from bottom to top.

Bet there aren''t too many who have done that...

[quote user="CDMullins"]Ive always likened him to Kevin Davies and when my mates call him a pub player and ask what we''ll do next year in Prem, I tell them he''s no worse than Kevin Davies. Grant is not technically great, but he doesnt need to be, his hustle and bustle causes all sorts of problems and he has a knack of been in the right place at the right time. Which is why he gets goals. Alot of people doubted he could make the step from Lg1 to Championship, hes proved he can, not just by been the leagues 2nd top scorer but been nominated for the player of the season.[/quote]

Not forgetting, he was only pipped at the post by a Premier league player on loan to the Championship

[quote user="pete_norw"]

[quote user="CDMullins"]Ive always likened him to Kevin Davies and when my mates call him a pub player and ask what we''ll do next year in Prem, I tell them he''s no worse than Kevin Davies. Grant is not technically great, but he doesnt need to be, his hustle and bustle causes all sorts of problems and he has a knack of been in the right place at the right time. Which is why he gets goals. Alot of people doubted he could make the step from Lg1 to Championship, hes proved he can, not just by been the leagues 2nd top scorer but been nominated for the player of the season.[/quote]

Not forgetting, he was only pipped at the post by a Premier league player on loan to the Championship

[/quote]

Who was that then?

Instead of been Pedantic, why not just state that Tarrabt as actually signed for QPR and is not on loan,

Agree Peas you know you get 110% from Holty unlike some of the w****** that went to the world cup wearing the three lions and didn''t give a toss, but we know it''s only premiership players they look at unless they have an injury crisis . . . .E I E I E I O . . . .

I never doubted him.

The idiots that did were going on about him not cutting it in the Champs because he wouldn''t score buckets of goals.

I stated that 15+ goals for a target man at this level is a fair return, especially for a striker we paid reletively little for. Fact is he now has 19 league goals to his name, more if you include cups.

Anyone in the know will recognise that that is equal to Iwan''s top tally at this level in the league. Infact that season was Iwan''s best and he ended the season with 23 goals in total, in 1998-99.

What do I think? England? It would be great to see him given a chance, do I care? Not a jot if he is still scoring for us in the premiership.

To me he was already a legend, this season merely confirms it.

Most fouled player in the Championship and the giving away the most fouls in the Championship are his statistics this season, but if we do get to the Premiership you can guarantee, with the bias of ref''s towards the bigger team, that he will be penalised a lot more.

For those old enough to remember him, Holt reminds me of Malcolm McDonald.

Identical player types-McDonald put himself about for 90 minutes, harried, hustled and blullied defenders, was good in the air, brave, and capable of scoring at any time. He once scored 5 in a single game for England (against Cyprus).

But he (Holt) is a clever player. I reckon a lot of sides and defenders don''t think that and underrate that aspect of his game. He''s canny with his movement and how he forces defenders to play against him and its that, allied to those other strengths, that make him such a very, very good player and one, I think, who will thrive in the Prem.

Sure he''ll get penalised, Look at how often Crouch is. But, like Crouch, he''ll score goals if you give him just half the chance and little or no space!

Well, as I said the time, I''d have fancied England''s chances in South Africa more with Holt upfront than Heskey.

[quote user="GJP"]

Well, as I said the time,

[/quote]

*at the time

More chance of a lotto win than that happening but I''m sure he''d do a job!

51 goals in under 2 seasons is a remarkable return for a bloke who cost under £500,000!

If we go up Holt deserves a run in the Premiership cause he has been a major factor in the last 2 seasons!

Would he cut it in the top flight?

- I think he''d be capable of scoring 10+ goals in addition to all the other work he does for the team!

A lot of Premiership defenders will find out adrenalin is brown when they come up against Holt.

I agree with Old Shuck here.

I actually think Holty is technically alot better than people give him credit for, he never looks out of place in the passing moves that we create, his movement is good too. I''d say that his mobility and his technique are far better than Iwan if we are comparing the two.

He''s no chance of playing for England, but I think he''ll acquit himself fine if we do go up, he''s the sort of player we must keep from the current squad rather than breaking it up too much like Worthy did when we went up last time.

Holt has come on enormously this season, with the Ipswich game being a real turning point, before that game he had scored just 6 goals, so many more since.

I think he started slowly, and took time to both get his fitness up to speed (most important I think) and to adjust to a higher level. Like many I questioned his effectiveness but he has simply improved consistently through the season and you cant ask for more than that.

His touch and link up play is good, its his pace that is his only real weakness that may make him suffer in the next step up, but his mind should make up for that gap a little

if Bothroyd and Zamora can get capped, the Holt sure as hell can!! I can just imagine him piling though international defences like a footballing Jonah Lomu.