Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

The Bias Of Anglia TV!.

Now every year and for my own enjoyment, I video all City games. Mostly from Anglia TV''s ''Goals on Sunday'' programe, Without exception its the scummers who seem to get the extended 15 minutes highlights with commentry, whilst city get, if lucky, 30 seconds.

When the filth were last promoted via the play offs, the entire ''Anglia News'' at 6pm was devoted to their lucky achivement. It''ll be interesting to see what, if any mention we get if City go up as Champions.

Its funny that Sky TV has reconised City''s games as worth screening, but all Anglia can manage is a patronising 30 second highlight, plus a ''well'' done'' through gritted teeth from the main presenter (I can''t be bothered to mention his name) and his usual sidekick Alan ''its not fat honestly'' Brazil.

As Anglia TV are based in Norwich their attitude makes me sick!. I swear if a new streetlight was erected outside Poorman Road, it would merit a 5 minute news bulletin.

OK I might have over stated that last bit, but I have seen valuable air time given up for pointless and un news worthy items in the past concerning Joe''s Girls.

So let them carry on in this sad manner, they really are going to look right idiots soon because their apparent bias will soon be seen by all viewers. Has anyone else noticed this?.

I thought it was because Ipswich have been at home for the last two weekends and we''ve been away - Anglia TV only have cameras as far afield as Portaloo Road and Fortress Carrow Road? I could be wrong....

Yes I am sick to death of Anglia you are totally right about this blatent bias towards Ipswich. Yesterday I was furious with them just a about giving Norwich some well deserved credit and then banging on how Ipswich are now fourth.They must all be Filth supporters at Anglia .On another note how come when it is a norwich based tv company that they report on Hertfordshire and bloody Essex all the time, havent they got there own coverage? I dont think that Luton or say Northampton is worth reporting about - they are miles away. I suppose when we go up[ i hope!] anglia will continue to report on Ipswich in the 1st div when we are in the premiership. And , my god , Alan Brazil actually said that Norwich will be promoted1

I''m sorry Peter but I think you''re wrong on this, as I understand it ALL picture''s and commentries are the sole property of SKY TV, and Anglia I belive pay them ''rights'' to screen the said game. Can anyone verify this?.

Plus there have been extended highlights of ''them'' when they have been away, so unless Anglia are sending their limited camera''s to Wigan and beyond, that theory does''nt hold up.

And I have been watching the programe all season, honestly. But even if you are correct surely that does''nt justify devoting a whole Anglia News at 6 to them does it?.

Ah I see, was a just a theory. I don''t usually watch it as I''m usually still asleep when it''s on! Perhaps those in power at Anglia TV are all binners...

Might be worth firing off an email to Anglia TV...

I thought it was just me who was moaning about local tv''s total bias towards the binmen!!!! i''m glad that i''m not the only person in the area who thinks this.Reading this post has made my afternoon so come on City give us something to really crow about in the next 15 games and perhaps we may get the credit we deserve for an out standing season.

I personally don''t think that Anglia News/Sport are bias towards "That Team?! from Suffolk", As Peter said, the last two weekends our "Neighbours" have been at home. As for Soccer Sunday and its main presenter "Mr Piper", I have on several occasions, witnessed his presence at home games sat near to my good self in the City Stand. I am not citing where "Mr Pipers" preferences lie, but I am pretty certain, it ain''t "further South".

Ok, on occasions it seems like we get 0.002 seconds of "Canary Coverage" on Anglia, but do the lower league sides like Cambridge, Posh and Colchester etc, get their 30 bobs worth?.

I think considering the size of East Anglia and the coverage of not just football but sport in general, Anglia TV do quite a decent job. [No I''m not an employee of Anglia TV!] But now that Skysports have the rights to cover everything from welly throwing to snow clearing!... We just have to be thankful for small mercies. OTBC.

hello shane. like you i was getting sick to death of anglia reporting about luton, northampton and the posh, while barely giving a mention to norwich. After moaning about this to some mates in the pub i was reliably informed by the landlord that there are in fact two anglia news programmes. If you are watching through a digital reciever of any kind then you will get the news and sport from west anglia ( peterbourough, northampton , mk, luton etc ). If you switch back and watch through your normal tv then you will get the east anglia news ( norfolk, suffolk and essex) bringing you more coverage of the super yellows. Hope this is of some help to you.

Mello Yello: are you sure you don''t work at Anglia?. I take your points, but Anglia are Nowich based and Norwich are top of the 1st division for Gawds sake!. I shudder to think what it would be like if the filth were top.

This makes me so angry, even when City are doing so well, Anglia and indeed BBC ''Look East'' still give more credit to ''them''. And both of them always manage to say things like ''And don''t forget Ipswich are still in 4th place folks'' etc, when they do mention us.

As for Posh, Colchester and Camridge getting decent coverage you are quite correct, perhaps if half, yes half the programme was''nt devoted to scum they and others would get more publicity!.

Althouth this is very annoying...Peter is totaly right...Anglia TV show extended highlights of whoever was at home out of Norwich and Binners! Any way...forget about it...there''s nothing we can do...AND WERE TOP OF THE LEAGUE..enough proof of who the real pride of Anglia is!

I dont think i am wrong 1st wizard. I watch anglia news at 6 every night and was sick of hearing about crime in luton, fires in northampton etc. Everything apart from what is happening in my beloved norwich and norfolk. Now i just flick the button on my remote and i get the local news that im interested in. Ok, so the sport coverage of norwich is still not brilliant but it is more than i was getting from "west anglia news" through my digital. I got the impression shane and a few others were having the same problem as me.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed the extended highlights of "Hipswing Trowel" on todays Soccer>[Americanism!]< Sunday. It allowed me a side splitting guffaw at their "flying finn" Shifty Kookees!!! unforgivable miss of an open goal [Hope he maintains this form!].

Oh! Sky Sports News have just shown Citys goals.... Great!

On another note, when did "George Bingham" the female sports presenter on Anglia defect to Sky Sports?. Remember the tacky and shabby "Over the bar" programme she and Kevin Piper used to do a couple of seasons ago?. Utter tripe!.... She obviously realised leaving Anglia TV, was the way forward!!!

Hiya 1st Wizard. I have complained about this so many times on this site and am 100% behind your views. Even if we get promoted and Ipswich are still in the 1st Division all we will get next season is how Ipswich have a great chance of going up. It seems that whatever we do Ipswich will always be their blue eyed boys and that is why it would give me great delight to see Sheepshanks and all his cronies bankrupt the club beyond fixing then all that Anglia TV could do is concentrate on us. I can''t understand it with Anglia TV being based in Norwich you would have thought if there was to be any biased it would be towards us. Never mind when we are up and they are still languishing in the 1st Division lets see the smiles on their faces then.

Higgler: yet again you''ve missed the point in my original thread, I was on about the ''GOALS ON SUNDAY'' programme, and only used Anglia News as a further example of their blatent bias towards the scum. Try it this week and see what I mean!.

As I said, every year I''ve recorded City''s highlights for my own private potted history of past seasons, indeed going back to the demise of Chase, and mostly using clips from Anglia television, and I watch every blooming week OK, so don''t tell me what I''ve watched or not watched with my own two eyes please!.

Its strange that others have noticed this but you have''nt, I wonder why that is?. There is I believe a definate bias towards the binners , I don''t even blame the presenters, the decision on programme contents is not made by them I believe.

SO read my posts very carefully next time please, and understand that this is not opinion based on second hand knowledge, It is my own observations, using my own vision and hearing, and they work perfectly well thank you.

1st Wizard, I couldn''t agree more with your post. We live in Northamptonshire and have our tele tuned into Anglia solely to watch Norwich on Sundays as Central only covers Birmingham teams. However we look forward to Norwich visiting our area as we get more coverage when on Central TV than we do on Anglia.

No 1st Wizard, i hav''nt missed the point of your original thread. You have totally missed the point of my original reply. If you had taken the time to read my reply properly it was refering to a comment made by Shane Finn, where he was talking about anglia reporting from hertfordshire and northampton. This is why the reply started "Hello Shane" , which it seems you have failed to notice. I was mearly pointing out that there are two anglia news programmes, and that the east anglia news is not available through digital. I have never even mentioned the "Goals on Sunday" programme, but for what its worth i actually agree with you, I do think they are biased towards the scum.

Once again 1st wizard you are starting to return to your old ways and only reading the bits that you want to read. You should read your final paragraph very carefully yourself and start practicing what you preach. Perhaps you should pay a visit to an optician and get those eyes tested, and then you would be able to reply on what you have read (or failed to read) correctly.

1st Wizard, I know for fact that the amount of coverage that soccer sunday puts out depends on what other companies send us. Anglia will only send there cameras to our local grounds. On Saturday Central only sent us 3 minutes of highlights for the city game as they have a number of games to play out to the network in a 15 minute slot, whilst we had a feed of the whole scummers game. Hence they got 8 mins of yesterdays prog and City 2.15 mins. Just to cheer you up, i thought i would let you know that i directed yesterdays program in a Huckerbys back t-shirt. Now you know what i do, be assured City will always have a fair amount of air time if the material is available.

Returning to my old ways Higgler?, Oh, I do hope so!. I''m afraid I give up with you my friend, lets just agree to disagree on this shall we, maybe if your posts where more clear, then my mistakes, if any, would not have been made in the first place!. PS. my vision is fine but maybe you should be somewhat concerned about your own.

Still I''m glad we at least agree about the bias though.

Irish Canary: As you seem to know a bit about this, I always thought that Sky TV picked up the contract to the rights for games after the collapse of ITV digital, and thats why they show highlights on Sky on Saturday evenings before anyone else is allowed to, because its their camera''s and crew at the said games.

If you are correct, then how on earth can you justify giving up a whole Anglia News at 6 to bask in the glory of the filth?. And yes, I did watch it!. I still maintain Anglia are bias, for I witness it myself, time and time again, as do others. Sorry.

PS. nearly forgot Irish Canary, if you say you only had 3 minutes of city''s game, why did you cut it to 2.15 minutes to allow for highlights of the West B***dy Brom game!. Last time I looked, they were not in our region.

Watche Sky Sports Goals on Sunday yesterday morning. They spent about four times as long talking about Crystal Palace and what a great job Ian Dowie is doing than on City''s game.

I agree. After we whooped the binners at Porterloo Road, I was in a city ale house where a slightly inebraited Mr. Piper was singing OTBC between every song the band attempted to play over him. He was 100% city that day. He also told me that Alan Brazil didn''t actually like the binners but just played along with it for the ''veiwers'' (although he may have said this to stick up for him as I had some ''choice'' words to say about him by this time of night)

1st Wizard W.B.A., Wigan and Palace game where all last minute additions due to the fact that we started 4 mins light, due to not being able to get an interview with the Colchester manager. Sky do not have cameras at ever game they pay local companies like Anglia to film it. You would have noticed that sky,s saturday nights coverage was just the two goals. As for cutting the 3 mins down would you have been interested in seeing the teams run out and the incident that led to the Coventry corner, leading to our first goal. Even if anglia does not want to transmit the material we are always keen to get as much of City''s games as possible as we make there seaon review videos. As for KP he is a city fan, Stuart Jarrold (sport) and a girl that works for our west news are the only scummer fans, trust me we do point them out to people.

Wizard forgot to say Sky do have the rights, but the deal involving us filming allows all itv companies to use the material. You will notice that the BBC records Anglia and plays out our pics. If Sky cover a game live they bring in there own cameras and supply us with a feed.

Anything with Alan Brazil has an Ipswich bias. I listen to the sports breakfast on Talksport driving to work and I''ve lost count of how many of his old Ipswich buddies have been on the programme. I think I''ve heard Norwich people on there about three times !

I saw Kevin Piper with his son at the New Stand ''Open Afternoon'' yesterday...

Several weeks back I was at a fundraising event for a local boys football team and Kevin Piper was the main speaker there. I left in no doubt that his blood is green and yellow. It was also interesting to hear that Mr. Brazil is often less than complimentary about his Ippo friends off camera!
For me the jury''s out about whether there''s bias towards the southern county or not at Anglia. One week I might think it looks blatantly obvious, and another week it might not even seem to be an issue. I guess it''s very difficult to try to please everyone all of the time, but it makes me very annoyed if we don''t seem to be getting the recognition I feel we deserve.
At least I can say, for sure, that I think the Anglia News coverage of local football is better (more interesting and comprehensive) by far than that of BBC Look East. Does anyone else agree?
One place I have noticed bias, to a degree, is on the local Ceefax pages. Until very recent times we always had to share a page (p. 391 usually) with the moody blues, not just for match previews or reports, but also for news items. At last we seem to have broken free of them when it comes to things that are of interest to our fans and have nothing whatsoever to do with their fans. How about a separate page for previews and reports now? That would be nice.