Sign in to follow this  
berto85

NCFC v Forest and potential Hillsborough Coverage.....

15.04.1989.... 22 years ago to the day we play Forest the worst tragedy in English football occured. Will there be a minutes silence before this game?? Forest were directly involved and Norwich were playing in the other Semi Final at Villa Park... Personally I think that there should be no games on this date, and was not very happy that our game had been moved to this date. Any thoughts??

Not sure myself, it was a day I won''t forget about but not too concerned about the date. I could understand Liverpool perhaps not wanting to play on this day but not anyone else.

Sorry berto,don''t agree.Yes it was a terrible day,but if we stopped playing on that date would we have to stop playing on the dates of Bradford,Heysel,Munich to name a few? 

Both fair points... Very easy to manage really... They can plan all the fixtures to be on the same date for the end of season fixtures etc.Main point is that it was not just 96 Liverpool fans, but 96 football fans, hence the need for everyone to be aware of an event that essentially shaped the way every football fans watches games in this country... (all seated stadiums).

I do recall the day and what I was doing at the time listening to the radio (norwich game) and hearing the tragic news unfold.I think that games should be played not out of disrespect but life does go on and a line has to be drawn somewhere for all tragic event.Liverpool should always have a minutes silence as they were directly affected but I cannot see no need for other clubs as then the question should be asked should we have a minutes silence for Bradford, Munich, or even the tube bombings etc .That''s my thoughts.

It doesn''t bother me, you can''t go on ad infinitum, football has been played on this date ever since the tragedy, Norwich and Forest being at both semi-finals is a bit of a tenuous link.

There were plenty of remembrance ceremonies and minutes silences at the time and at subsequent notable anniversaries.

We are in danger of debasing commemeration whereby everything now has to be overdone with maudling self endulgence as witnessed by the idiotic opening post.

The stupidity that underpins this is that we are not capable of recognising human suffering and grief without us all be coerced into some garish X Factor style outward display of breast beating.