Sign in to follow this  
Gerry Harrison

OT Football League announce new TV deal

Looks like the end of BBC showing live games."The Football League and Sky Sports have signed a new broadcasting agreement to run for three seasons from 2012/13. 

The new deal, worth £195m, will see Sky Sports extend their unrivalled live coverage of the npower Football League, Carling Cup and Johnstone''s Paint Trophy into 2015. 

The League is also engaged in ongoing discussions with broadcasters regarding free-to-air match highlights.

Under the new agreement Sky Sports will broadcast, exclusively live, each season"
http://www.football-league.co.uk/footballleaguenews/20110404/football-league-announce-new-tv-deal_2293334_2331066/0,,10794,00.html

[quote user="CT"]Bad news for those who dont have sky I guess.

Fortunately I got skysports last year [:)]
[/quote]

So do I, but will this mean more funding for the F/League or will it just filter into the premier league as usual 

[quote user="Gerry Harrison"]

Looks like the end of BBC showing live games.

"The Football League and Sky Sports have signed a new broadcasting agreement to run for three seasons from 2012/13. 

The new deal, worth £195m, will see Sky Sports extend their unrivalled live coverage of the npower Football League, Carling Cup and Johnstone''s Paint Trophy into 2015. 

The League is also engaged in ongoing discussions with broadcasters regarding free-to-air match highlights.

[/quote]

---

Presumably the reference to ongoing talks with other broadcasters means there may still be be free-to-air matches on the BBC or elsewhere.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]
Let''s just hope that by 2.30pm on May 7th we couldn''t care less......
[/quote]

Indeed, but really it makes no difference as all sky games can be seen on the internet anyway.

you naughty manif everyone behaved like you it could mean no more Monday night games, no games at 12.30 and the dream of having games stopped every five minutes while an outcome is ''outcomed'' during an ad break will only remain that, a dreamwill our beautiful game never evolve ?

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

Looks like the end of BBC showing live games."The Football League and Sky Sports have signed a new broadcasting agreement to run for three seasons from 2012/13. 

[/quote]

---

Presumably the reference to ongoing talks with other broadcasters means there may still be be free-to-air matches on the BBC or elsewhere.

[/quote]The article said: "The League is also engaged in ongoing discussions with broadcasters regarding free-to-air match highlights."You said: "Presumably the reference to ongoing talks with other broadcasters means there may still be be free-to-air matches."Please explain how you somehow managed to twist a very clear and simple sentence into something that you simply want to hear. I''m not sure if you were asking a question or making a statement, a question normally ends with a question mark, but either way it was a stupid question or a stupid statement.

[quote user="Gerry Harrison"]Looks like the end of BBC showing live games."The Football League and Sky Sports have signed a new broadcasting agreement to run for three seasons from 2012/13. 

Under the new agreement Sky Sports will broadcast, exclusively live, each season"
http://www.football-league.co.uk/footballleaguenews/20110404/football-league-announce-new-tv-deal_2293334_2331066/0,,10794,00.html[/quote]It''s worth noting that nobody has to worry about this for another season, August 2012 is a long way away. If the worst happens, and we stay in this division, we are still going to be able to watch Norwich games on the BBC next season.

[quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

Looks like the end of BBC showing live games.

"The Football League and Sky Sports have signed a new broadcasting agreement to run for three seasons from 2012/13. 

[/quote]

---

[/quote]

The article said: "The League is also engaged in ongoing discussions with broadcasters regarding free-to-air match highlights."

You said: "Presumably the reference to ongoing talks with other broadcasters means there may still be be free-to-air matches
."

Please explain how you somehow managed to twist a very clear and simple sentence into something that you simply want to hear. I''m not sure if you were asking a question or making a statement, a question normally ends with a question mark, but either way it was a stupid question or a stupid statement.

[/quote]

LeJuge, it wasn''t something I wanted to hear. This is not something that affects me. I don''t get Sky or any kind of UK terrestrial TV. Which probably explains why I wasn''t paying as much attention as I should have been. Hence the stupid mistake. It is obvious that the OP was quite right.

[quote user="pete_norw"]

will this mean more funding for the F/League or will it just filter into the premier league as usual 

[/quote]The Prem League funding is negotiated seperately from this deal which covers the Championship, 1st and 2nd divisions.It means there will be less tv money available to distribute amongst those three divisions than there is currently.Another example of Sky bidding aggressively to eliminate the opposition from future auctions.

What really irritates me, the sky Premiership deal seems to increase each time it''s negotiated... But despite the "tough economic times" (seriously? this is sky we''re talking about) the Football League deal is reduced?

When I''d say the FL quality has improved to a greater extent than the Premiership in the last decade or so.