Sign in to follow this  
PurpleCanary

BIG BOB v, DELIA - THE VERDICT

The irony is... Robert Chase after years of unbelievable success hits a bad patch and is hounded out. Delia Smith... years of decline... left in place with barely a whimper from her carefully selected audience.Success is relative and I don''t see winning Division Three as a ''plus''... as we should never had been dragged down there in the first place.  Strange how time distorts perception and how ''success'' is measured.Millions in debt without a farthing in reserve... if City fail to bag the stinking Premiership millions this season, what has fundamentally changed since the old cook cynically pushed Chase out? At least Chase left a manageable debt plus assets on and off the pitch which Smith has since used to her advantage.Robert chase versus the cook? No contest.

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]The irony is... Robert Chase after years of unbelievable success hits a bad patch and is hounded out. Delia Smith... years of decline... left in place with barely a whimper from her carefully selected audience.

Success is relative and I don''t see winning Division Three as a ''plus''... as we should never had been dragged down there in the first place.  Strange how time distorts perception and how ''success'' is measured.

Millions in debt without a farthing in reserve... if City fail to bag the stinking Premiership millions this season, what has fundamentally changed since the old cook cynically pushed Chase out? At least Chase left a manageable debt plus assets on and off the pitch which Smith has since used to her advantage.

Robert chase versus the cook? No contest.
[/quote]

Are you the fat one in disguise?

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]The irony is... Robert Chase after years of unbelievable success hits a bad patch and is hounded out. Delia Smith... years of decline... left in place with barely a whimper from her carefully selected audience.Success is relative and I don''t see winning Division Three as a ''plus''... as we should never had been dragged down there in the first place.  Strange how time distorts perception and how ''success'' is measured.Millions in debt without a farthing in reserve... if City fail to bag the stinking Premiership millions this season, what has fundamentally changed since the old cook cynically pushed Chase out? At least Chase left a manageable debt plus assets on and off the pitch which Smith has since used to her advantage.Robert chase versus the cook? No contest.[/quote]

Are you the fat one in disguise?

[/quote]Just someone who never forgets a favour recieved.Never met the old boy and he may well have been an old bastard.... but being a club man, who or what he is/was irrelevant. He made NCFC great and we became every neutrals ''second club'' because of the way we played football. It''s his tenure I remember with great affection... not the man himself.

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]The irony is... Robert Chase after years of unbelievable success hits a bad patch and is hounded out. Delia Smith... years of decline... left in place with barely a whimper from her carefully selected audience.Success is relative and I don''t see winning Division Three as a ''plus''... as we should never had been dragged down there in the first place.  Strange how time distorts perception and how ''success'' is measured.Millions in debt without a farthing in reserve... if City fail to bag the stinking Premiership millions this season, what has fundamentally changed since the old cook cynically pushed Chase out? At least Chase left a manageable debt plus assets on and off the pitch which Smith has since used to her advantage.Robert chase versus the cook? No contest.[/quote]We shouldn''t have been "dragged down" into Division One when all the money was hitting the Premier League and IMO if the Fat Control had invested into the Team and not land at this time we would have had a very different history.

[quote user="Harry"]

IMO if the Fat Control had invested into the Team and not land at this time we would have had a very different history.
[/quote]

BUT you like others don''t understand the deal Chase made to buy the land.

The club paid £160k per year for 5 and half years, interest free.

Offsetting that, was £50k per year coming from Carrow Commercials plus the car parking fees.

So the club paid approx £580k over 5 and half years for the land  and then received income subsequently.

I doubt the approx. £110k cashoutflow per year  was a factor in our relegation. More important was relying on a 19 year old goalkeeper to replace Gunn when he broke his leg as we were 7th in the table at that time (if my memory is correct).

However I do blame Chase for not trying to get a share issue away during our period of success as that would have reduced the bank overdraft and the need to sell Sutton. IMHO Sutton''s goal power would have kept us in the top tier.

[quote user="Harry"][quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]The irony is... Robert Chase after years of unbelievable success hits a bad patch and is hounded out. Delia Smith... years of decline... left in place with barely a whimper from her carefully selected audience.Success is relative and I don''t see winning Division Three as a ''plus''... as we should never had been dragged down there in the first place.  Strange how time distorts perception and how ''success'' is measured.Millions in debt without a farthing in reserve... if City fail to bag the stinking Premiership millions this season, what has fundamentally changed since the old cook cynically pushed Chase out? At least Chase left a manageable debt plus assets on and off the pitch which Smith has since used to her advantage.Robert chase versus the cook? No contest.[/quote]We shouldn''t have been "dragged down" into Division One when all the money was hitting the Premier League and IMO if the Fat Control had invested into the Team and not land at this time we would have had a very different history.[/quote]Yoiu''re having a bloody laugh aren''t you?Of course your beloved ''saviour'' has done just that hasn''t she? I suspect you are basing your knowledge of the Chase years on what your mum told you... either that or you were a hostage locked away in some Middle Eastern prison during the time.

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]The irony is... Robert Chase after years of unbelievable success hits a bad patch and is hounded out. Delia Smith... years of decline... left in place with barely a whimper from her carefully selected audience.

Success is relative and I don''t see winning Division Three as a ''plus''... as we should never had been dragged down there in the first place.  Strange how time distorts perception and how ''success'' is measured.

Millions in debt without a farthing in reserve... if City fail to bag the stinking Premiership millions this season, what has fundamentally changed since the old cook cynically pushed Chase out? At least Chase left a manageable debt plus assets on and off the pitch which Smith has since used to her advantage.

[/quote]

Purple tried to open the debate to take into account the changes made within the game as I did 18 months ago. Once again no debate follows just the usual office gossip about the cook cynically removing the fat controller. Only difference this time is not so many of Nora''s little gang of gossip mongers have stepped up to the plate.

To say the Smith years have all been decline is unbelievably naive. The biggest decline took place between 1993 and 1996. Mike Walker saw it coming and baled out. Finally Chase baled out in 1996 leaving the club on the verge of the Third Division. That''s where we stayed until the cook took over in 1998. The club then recovered and set sail on an upwards curve until relegation from the Premier league in 2005.

On my thread 18 months ago I tried to open debate on why clubs who drop out of the Premier League seem to struggle in the Championship. Nora and her little gang then just kept disrupting the thread saying it was all down to the wicked cook and her cohorts. When I asked if the cook was responsible for all the other clubs with the same problems I was told it was irrelevant and was invited to look to other clubs, particularly Preston and Hull. While club owners such as Manderic and Gibson were lauded from the rooftops as examples to be envious of.

Robert Chase versus the cook? Why does it have to be a contest?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Purple tried to open the debate to take into account the changes made within the game as I did 18 months ago. Once again no debate follows just the usual office gossip about the cook cynically removing the fat controller. Only difference this time is not so many of Nora''s little gang of gossip mongers have stepped up to the plate.

To say the Smith years have all been decline is unbelievably naive. The biggest decline took place between 1993 and 1996. Mike Walker saw it coming and baled out. Finally Chase baled out in 1996 leaving the club on the verge of the Third Division. That''s where we stayed until the cook took over in 1998. The club then recovered and set sail on an upwards curve until relegation from the Premier league in 2005.

On my thread 18 months ago I tried to open debate on why clubs who drop out of the Premier League seem to struggle in the Championship. Nora and her little gang then just kept disrupting the thread saying it was all down to the wicked cook and her cohorts. When I asked if the cook was responsible for all the other clubs with the same problems I was told it was irrelevant and was invited to look to other clubs, particularly Preston and Hull. While club owners such as Manderic and Gibson were lauded from the rooftops as examples to be envious of.

Robert Chase versus the cook? Why does it have to be a contest?

[/quote]

---

With respect, nutty, not true. There have been several interesting posts based on the broad points I was trying to make. From you, Trent, Yankee, ricardo, yellow hammer, RmL, and coelho, for example. Particularly speculations on what might happen next, whether there will be more game-changing shifts.

One poster doing the cyberspace equivalent of sticking his fingers in his ears and shouting very loudly doesn''t detract from that.

I don''t think any of that actually happened according to the foggy minds of many of them Tangy.Short memories contained in very small mentalities.

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="Harry"][quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]The irony is... Robert Chase after years of unbelievable success hits a bad patch and is hounded out. Delia Smith... years of decline... left in place with barely a whimper from her carefully selected audience.Success is relative and I don''t see winning Division Three as a ''plus''... as we should never had been dragged down there in the first place.  Strange how time distorts perception and how ''success'' is measured.Millions in debt without a farthing in reserve... if City fail to bag the stinking Premiership millions this season, what has fundamentally changed since the old cook cynically pushed Chase out? At least Chase left a manageable debt plus assets on and off the pitch which Smith has since used to her advantage.Robert chase versus the cook? No contest.[/quote]We shouldn''t have been "dragged down" into Division One when all the money was hitting the Premier League and IMO if the Fat Control had invested into the Team and not land at this time we would have had a very different history.[/quote]Yoiu''re having a bloody laugh aren''t you?Of course your beloved ''saviour'' has done just that hasn''t she? I suspect you are basing your knowledge of the Chase years on what your mum told you... either that or you were a hostage locked away in some Middle Eastern prison during the time.[/quote]Where have I

ever said that Delia is the saviour of Norwich City? Geoffry Watling was

the saviour of Norwich City and that''s a fact.

I like most fans

haven''t liked what has happened to the Club since our last flirtation

with the Premier League but things are now looking up.

I like you and

many others saw good football played under Chase and even had a drink

and chat with him and Jimmy Jones in a pub on the way back from beating

Luton 2-0 in the League Cup and yes I yearn for the days when we could

finish 3rd in the Premiership and beat Bayern Munic in Europe but that

doesn''t alter the fact that the season after beating Bayern in Europe we

were relegated just as the Sky money was hitting the Premiership, even

you in your Fat Contriller tinted glasses must be able to see that being

relegated at that time had a massive effect on the money we had coming

in compared to what would have come in had we not been relegated.

One last thing

Cluck, as I said in another thread to you I''m 48 years old, I''ve been

going to Carrow Road since 1969 and have my own mind and opinions so

wouldn''t have had to be told things by my Mum.

Tangy your love for the dictator holds no bounds and your selective references are to be admired.

You mention Chase not doing a share issue.This was the man assisted by Trevor Nichols who attempted to swallow up all the little shareholders to increase his shareholding but to pee those off he could not entice he held AGMs at lunchtimes.Hardly unlikely to do a share issue then was he?

Maybe as you have chapter and verse on the land deals you could also provide us with the figure that he paid his own company  for services provided to NCFC.

This does not place me in the Delia camp because you know my views full well on that aspect of our history.

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

[quote user="Harry"]

IMO if the Fat Control had invested into the Team and not land at this time we would have had a very different history.[/quote]

BUT you like others don''t understand the deal Chase made to buy the land.

The club paid £160k per year for 5 and half years, interest free.

Offsetting that, was £50k per year coming from Carrow Commercials plus the car parking fees.

So the club paid approx £580k over 5 and half years for the land  and then received income subsequently.

I doubt the approx. £110k cashoutflow per year  was a factor in our relegation. More important was relying on a 19 year old goalkeeper to replace Gunn when he broke his leg as we were 7th in the table at that time (if my memory is correct).

However I do blame Chase for not trying to get a share issue away during our period of success as that would have reduced the bank overdraft and the need to sell Sutton. IMHO Sutton''s goal power would have kept us in the top tier.

[/quote]I do understand that it was a good deal but it was at the detriment of the playing side of the club which was in decline with our best players being sold off, had we stayed in the Premier League the money we would have made would make the income from the land look like peanuts.

I agree with you on the "19 year old goal keeper" and needing to sell Sutton, which actually back up my argument of not investing in the Team.

[quote user="Dan Druff"]Delia''s better than Bob, at least she''s not fat and bald.[/quote]Now we''re getting a far more reasonable argument being put.... but Robert Chase didn''t smell of fish did he?On top of everything else about her, this has really got up my nose.

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="Dan Druff"]Delia''s better than Bob, at least she''s not fat and bald.[/quote]

Now we''re getting a far more reasonable argument being put.... but Robert Chase didn''t smell of fish did he?

On top of everything else about her, this has really got up my nose.

[/quote]You never get near enough to Carrow Rd, let alone Delia, to smell it......

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

Tangy your love for the dictator holds no bounds and your selective references are to be admired.

[/quote]

Tilly,

I find it quite amusing the way you attack me just because I bring some facts to the discussion regarding the land deal. These facts run contrary to the wrongly held view that Chase paid for the land in one go rather than spend the money on the team.

Presumably you dont disgree that Chase sold players and spent money on infrastructure.  Funny how the same thing has happened during Delias regime too?

As usual you have missed the point, he should have had a share issue for the good of the club (thats my point) thats different from actually having one or not for one or more reasons that people on this bb could speculate on. 

With reference to money paid to his company for services provided to NCFC., presumably you are referring to money paid near the end of his period in office?  If you remember this has been discussed on an earlier thread (figures were quoted then if I remember correctly - you just need to look at that thread ) and I reminded people then that for many seasons Chase in effect did the work equivalent to a Chief Executive and only near the end did he get paid for his services. People dont seem to object to McNally getting paid now (or Doncaster and Munby in the past) do they?

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

---

With respect, nutty, not true. There have been several interesting posts based on the broad points I was trying to make. From you, Trent, Yankee, ricardo, yellow hammer, RmL, and coelho, for example. Particularly speculations on what might happen next, whether there will be more game-changing shifts.

One poster doing the cyberspace equivalent of sticking his fingers in his ears and shouting very loudly doesn''t detract from that.

[/quote]

I know sometimes my style of writing is confusing but the reason I quoted Nora''s post was to signal that it was that post I was replying to. There have been excellent contributions to this thread as there were to mine 18 months ago. The difference, and the point I am making, is that in this case there is only Nora and a few chirps from Tangie sticking their fingers in their ears and shouting very loudly where as 18 months ago there was a whole gang of them.

Now to go back and make a general point. It''s my opinion that the Premier League and the old First Division are completely different competitions. The only thing that links them is that they are the top tier of English football. Something like 45 teams have played in the Premiership since it''s inception in 1992. Probably 40 of those teams fans see the Premier League as their rightful home. None of them consider how they are going to all fit in a league of 20 teams. Perhams Nora or Tangie could help with this problem.

[quote user="Harry"]

I do understand that it was a good deal but it was at the detriment of the playing side of the club which was in decline with our best players being sold off, [/quote]

BUT the £105k or so cash outflow each season wouldn''t have done much if it was redirected to the playing squad.  IMHO. it wasn''t the land purchase but the building of the two ends to the G. Watling (aka city) stand that was equivalent to the bulk of the overdraft.

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="Dan Druff"]Delia''s better than Bob, at least she''s not fat and bald.[/quote]Now we''re getting a far more reasonable argument being put.... but Robert Chase didn''t smell of fish did he?On top of everything else about her, this has really got up my nose.[/quote]This same old argument just seems to go round and round in circles and I''m pretty much bored with the whole thing. Big Bob and Delia both had good points and bad points and none of us are ever going to agree on who did the right or wrong thing.. For my part, the interesting thing about Purples post was the linking of the history of our club to the social history of our country since the end of the last world war.The question that was left hanging in the air was, where do we go from here. That very interesting prospect seems to have not been addressed by most people on this thread. The past is another country, its dead and gone. The really exciting discussion should be about the future that is now staring us in the face.

[quote user="ricardo"]

1).......................... Big Bob and Delia both had good points and bad points.............

2) ........................ The really exciting discussion should be about the future that is now staring us in the face.
[/quote]

Re 1) Agreed

Re 2) Onwards and upwards is the way forward

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="Dan Druff"]Delia''s better than Bob, at least she''s not fat and bald.[/quote]Now we''re getting a far more reasonable argument being put.... but Robert Chase didn''t smell of fish did he?On top of everything else about her, this has really got up my nose.[/quote]This same old argument just seems to go round and round in circles and I''m pretty much bored with the whole thing. Big Bob and Delia both had good points and bad points and none of us are ever going to agree on who did the right or wrong thing.. For my part, the interesting thing about Purples post was the linking of the history of our club to the social history of our country since the end of the last world war.The question that was left hanging in the air was, where do we go from here. That very interesting prospect seems to have not been addressed by most people on this thread. The past is another country, its dead and gone. The really exciting discussion should be about the future that is now staring us in the face.[/quote]

OK.

But this post is not about the future is it? It''s about the past.

And to forget/ignore/not learn from/misunderstand history is to condemn the club to repeating the same mistakes in the future.

There are multiple posts about the future on this forum to which one can contribute, but few about our history.

One love.

OTBC

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

You mention Chase not doing a share issue.This was the man assisted by Trevor Nichols who attempted to swallow up all the little shareholders to increase his shareholding but to pee those off he could not entice he held AGMs at lunchtimes.Hardly unlikely to do a share issue then was he?

Maybe as you have chapter and verse on the land deals you could also provide us with the figure that he paid his own company  for services provided to NCFC.

This does not place me in the Delia camp because you know my views full well on that aspect of our history.

[/quote]

Dear oh dear.

I see that the quality of discussion on this thread has suddenly nosedived.

One hopes that this will be short-term.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote] Dear oh dear. I see that the quality of discussion on this thread has suddenly nosedived. One hopes that this will be short-term. OTBC[/quote]

You may not agree with what i posted Bly but it is factually correct.I did not have to search websites as you cannot beat first hand knowledge.I cannot recall you being in the room with Chase,Trevor Nichols,Roy Blower or Mike Lloyd and myself when this amongst other issues were discussed when the rumblings of discontent first started back in the middle ninties.

As you say OTBC.....Old Tiresome Bly Crap.

As ever, the usual suspects are busy polishing their knobs while doing their utmost to silence any dissenting ''non party'' line voice. And I am accused of not taking things on here seriously? I wonder why that should be then? You pumped up little big men really aren''t that important you know.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"] OK.

But this post is not about the future is it? It''s about the past.

And to forget/ignore/not learn from/misunderstand history is to condemn the club to repeating the same mistakes in the future.

There are multiple posts about the future on this forum to which one can contribute, but few about our history.

One love.

OTBC[/quote]No Bly, the post is about how the fortunes of our club relate to the times in which we live. It is about the dangers and the opportunities that are presented by the changes in the social fabric of British society. If you don''t see that in Purples post then I would suggest that you miss the point.The era of Big Bob was totally different to the era of S&J. To compare their successes and failures without the social context is a futile exercise.

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]As ever, the usual suspects are busy polishing their knobs while doing their utmost to silence any dissenting ''non party'' line voice. And I am accused of not taking things on here seriously? I wonder why that should be then? You pumped up little big men really aren''t that important you know.[/quote]Not really Cluck its time to turn your face to the future. It matters not one jot whether you are right or wrong. We loved Big Bob when he was successful and we hated him when it all went tits up. It will be ever thus with whoever owns or runs the club. If you want success in the modern game you have to play by the rules that are current at the time. Going back to standing in the rain with someone pissing up you leg is not going to cut it.I''''ve lived through all the era''s mentioned in Purples post and they''ve all been different and interesting in their own ways. No doubt people will be argueing about this long after you and I are pushing up dasies but NCFC will always be the heart of Norwich and Norfolk.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]As ever, the usual suspects are busy polishing their knobs while doing their utmost to silence any dissenting ''non party'' line voice. And I am accused of not taking things on here seriously? I wonder why that should be then? You pumped up little big men really aren''t that important you know.[/quote]Not really Cluck its time to turn your face to the future. It matters not one jot whether you are right or wrong. We loved Big Bob when he was successful and we hated him when it all went tits up. It will be ever thus with whoever owns or runs the club. If you want success in the modern game you have to play by the rules that are current at the time. Going back to standing in the rain with someone pissing up you leg is not going to cut it.I''''ve lived through all the era''s mentioned in Purples post and they''ve all been different and interesting in their own ways. No doubt people will be argueing about this long after you and I are pushing up dasies but NCFC will always be the heart of Norwich and Norfolk.[/quote]But Ricardo.. (and I consider you to be a genuinely respected poster), the title of the thread relates to the Chase and Smith tenures.I have moved on quite happily from those days, but I will not stand by and watch history being rewritten to suit the small minds of those who simply want to broadcast a convenient lie.Nowhere on here will you see any derogatory comment from me relating to anything from the Manager down... but to say we''re at the top of the league so all is forgiven is to allow the fantasists to perpetuate a false view of those wonderful Chase years. Robert Chase and the youngsters who base their opinion on what they hear from the older fan deserve better.

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]As ever, the usual suspects are busy polishing their knobs while doing their utmost to silence any dissenting ''non party'' line voice. And I am accused of not taking things on here seriously? I wonder why that should be then? You pumped up little big men really aren''t that important you know.[/quote]You can''t carry on a thread that has a reasoned arguement though can you?[quote user="Harry"][quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote

user="Harry"][quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]The irony is... Robert Chase

after years of unbelievable success hits a bad patch and is hounded out.

Delia Smith... years of decline... left in place with barely a whimper

from her carefully selected audience.Success

is relative and I don''t see winning Division Three as a ''plus''... as we

should never had been dragged down there in the first place.  Strange

how time distorts perception and how ''success'' is measured.
Millions

in debt without a farthing in reserve... if City fail to bag the

stinking Premiership millions this season, what has fundamentally

changed since the old cook cynically pushed Chase out? At least Chase

left a manageable debt plus assets on and off the pitch which Smith has

since used to her advantage.Robert chase versus the cook? No contest.[/quote]We

shouldn''t have been "dragged down" into Division One when all the money

was hitting the Premier League and IMO if the Fat Control
had invested into the Team and not land
at this time we would have had a very different history.[/quote]Yoiu''re having a bloody laugh aren''t you?Of

course your beloved ''saviour'' has done just that hasn''t she? I suspect

you are basing your knowledge of the Chase years on what your mum told

you... either that or you were a hostage locked away in some Middle

Eastern prison during the time.[/quote]Where have I

ever said that Delia is the saviour of Norwich City? Geoffry Watling was

the saviour of Norwich City and that''s a fact.

I like most fans

haven''t liked what has happened to the Club since our last flirtation

with the Premier League but things are now looking up.

I like you and

many others saw good football played under Chase and even had a drink

and chat with him and Jimmy Jones in a pub on the way back from beating

Luton 2-0 in the League Cup and yes I yearn for the days when we could

finish 3rd in the Premiership and beat Bayern Munic in Europe but that

doesn''t alter the fact that the season after beating Bayern in Europe we

were relegated just as the Sky money was hitting the Premiership, even

you in your Fat Controller tinted glasses must be able to see that being

relegated at that time had a massive effect on the money we had coming

in compared to what would have come in had we not been relegated.

One last thing

Cluck, as I said in another thread to you I''m 48 years old, I''ve been

going to Carrow Road since 1969 and have my own mind and opinions so

wouldn''t have had to be told things by my Mum.
[/quote]