Sign in to follow this  
Lincoln Yellow

Grant Holt - New record?

One for the stats men out there:Grant Holt - League 2, League 1, Championship....... Premiership? Consecutive seasons. Anyone managed that before?

.... If we go up of course.

Man city dropped down from the premier league to league one (old div 2) then straight back up again, I think thats what your confusing it with.

[quote user="Who Let The Fox Out"]Would there have been a player in the Man City squad when they did the four consecutively? Did they even do the four consecutively?[/quote]

Think it was just the 3 like we will have done if we go up.

Nicky Weaver, Andy Morrison, Richard Edghill, Lee Crooks, Gerard Wiekens, Ian Bishop, Danny Tiatto, Kevin Horlock, Terry Cooke, Jim + Jeff Whitley, Shaun Goater, Gareth and Paul Dickov were all part of the Man City team that won back-to-back promotions in 1999 and 2000 under Joe Royle.

There were probably another few players involved in that squad but I don''t remember them.

Watford won back-to-back promotions in 1998 and 1999 under Graham Taylor.

Alec Chamberlain, Chris Day, Darren Bazeley, Peter Kennedy, Robert Page, Steve Palmer, Paul Robinson, Micah Hyde, Tommy Mooney, Richard Johnson and Nick Wright were part of both.

[quote user="CDMullins"]Can Kasper Schmicheal do it too?[/quote]He never played in League One, did he? Joined Leeds this season after his contract with Notts County was cancelled last season.

Steve Finnan did it with Notts County and Fulham I think. Ian Ashbee captained Hull in all four divisions but don''t think it was consecutively.

Matty Gill.

Would be consecutive promotions Conference to Premiership with actually getting promoted at the end of each season

Unlike Holt or Jackson, who moved up a league when they changed club.

[quote user="7rew"]Matty Gill.

Would be consecutive promotions Conference to Premiership with actually getting promoted at the end of each season

Unlike Holt or Jackson, who moved up a league when they changed club.[/quote]That really is amazing! But would he ever play a premiership game??

My forum sig used to say Rob Earnshaw has a hat-trick in all 4 Divisions(v Charlton, G''ham, QPR, Torquay), FA Cup(v L.Orient), League Cup(v Bristol C) and for Wales v Scotland. That is impressive!

Now Holty has hat-tricks for us in League One and the Championship plus one against Yeovil in the League Cup. I am assuming he scored one for the Shrews in League Two. Has he one in the FA Cup? If so one next season in the Premier would leave him needing one for England, preferably against Scotland too.

Not quite answering your question but: Tony Cottee played in all for divisions in the same season - Leicester (PL),us (L1), Barnet (as Player Manager, L3) and when he got sacked he finished off at Millwall (L2).

Also, with the hat-trick thing regarding Earnshaw and Holt, I don''t think Holt has any league hat-tricks other than the two for us. Just one for Shrewsbury in the cup (when he scored 5). I dare say he won''t lose any sleep if he gets one in the Prem but never in L1 or L2!

Not quite answering your question but: Tony Cottee played in all for divisions in the same season - Leicester (PL),us (L1), Barnet (as Player Manager, L3) and when he got sacked he finished off at Millwall (L2).

Also, with the hat-trick thing regarding Earnshaw and Holt, I don''t think Holt has any league hat-tricks other than the two for us. Just one for Shrewsbury in the cup (when he scored 5). I dare say he won''t lose any sleep if he gets one in the Prem but never in L1 or L2!

I know he''s not been anything near a regular, but if we go up, Matt Gill will have won four successive promotions.

From the Conference to League Two and from League Two to League One with Exeter. Then from League One to the Championship, and from the Championship to the Premiership.

As I said, not a regular for us, but still a superb achievement. Maybe we should keep him on so we get into Europe!

[quote user="Dani Peacock"]Could this not be said of Simeon Jackson too, if we go up?[/quote]

No - he played for Gillingham in League 1 last year

"As I said, not a regular for us, but still a superb achievement. Maybe we should keep him on so we get into Europe!"

-Good Idea

[quote user="curnster"]Not quite answering your question but: Tony Cottee played in all for divisions in the same season - Leicester (PL),us (L1), Barnet (as Player Manager, L3) and when he got sacked he finished off at Millwall (L2). Also, with the hat-trick thing regarding Earnshaw and Holt, I don''t think Holt has any league hat-tricks other than the two for us. Just one for Shrewsbury in the cup (when he scored 5). I dare say he won''t lose any sleep if he gets one in the Prem but never in L1 or L2![/quote]

I think you''re probably right about those hat-tricks curnster. Holt also played non-league football for FC Halifax and Barrow over four seasons scoring 39 goals in the process. Then 4 goals for Sheff Wed, 41 for Rochdale, 22 for Forest and 21 for Shrewsbury. His return for us is the best and he obviously improves with age.

[quote user="Barclay hero"]

[quote user="Dani Peacock"]Could this not be said of Simeon Jackson too, if we go up?[/quote]

No - he played for Gillingham in League 1 last year

[/quote]And Gillingham in League 2 the season before that, so the answer is yes.