Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

The Officials For The Watford Game

RefereeAssistant 1Assistant 24th Official
Anthony TaylorDarren CannPaul ThompsonDarren Deadman

I''m rather surprised at the appointment of Darren Cann for this one.

Don''t get me wrong, Darren is the ultimate professional (I once had the pleasure of running the line for him in the Norfolk Senior cup many years ago!). The point I am making though is, what if he gives us a stonewall penalty that could win the game, how would that look Lino favours local team. I think all officials have to declare which teams they support, to ensure fairplay, but this could give him some unwanted and unwarranted pressure.

I believe that him and his family are all Liverpool fans, and he has been lino in Liverpool matches, hopefully he has a little soft spot for Norwich though!

I too am surprised at his appointment, especially being so local - still, he''s a top notch official and had a cracking World Cup.

As a ref myself, he''s certainly one of those I look up to.

Yeh, this is odd and had noticed this myself earlier in the week.

There was a game at Carrow Rd earlier in the season where a lino was om Lowestoft. Seems a bit strange to me why they can''t allocate them a diffrent game.

Darren Cann used to play for Norwich youth at one stage and is from Poringland, so a little odd!

On a slightly related subject I went to the Sheffield Uni v Hallam varsity football match yesterday and Howard Webb was the ref. He missed the Hallam keeper making a blatant save with his arm outside the area after messing up himself for which he should have been sent off. Obviously the pressure of a big game on his shoulders!! (Uni won anyway!)