Sign in to follow this  
flecky76

What did our first choice XI cost?

Most of our transfers these days are of the "undisclosed" variety, but reading articles between the lines, you can usually get a fairly decent idea roughly how much we have paid for the players. I''ve therefore gone through our current first choice XI:

Ruddy 200k

Martin 150k

Tierney 150k

Whitbread 200k

Ward FREE

Fox 200k

Crofts 350k

Hoolahan 250k

Surman 600k

Holt 400k

Martin/Pacheco No cost/loan fee 100k?

Notable others:

Lappin 50k

Lansbury loan (maybe 100k loan fee?)

Drury 500k

Rudd No cost

Jackson 600k

McNamee 100k

Smith No cost

Hughes FREE

Vokes loan fee 100k?

Wilbraham 100k

Barnett 200k

Now, focussing on the first choice XI, to be able to construct such a competitive team at this level for what I work out to be around £2.3m, is nothing short of sensational.

To put this into perspective, when Peter Grant went on his summer spending spree in 2007, he spent over £2m on 3 players alone - £1m on David Marshall, £850k on Cureton and around £250k on David Striker. Not only were those players not good enough, what we paid out for them was scandolous and finally goes to prove that having a manager who can spot the lower league bargains (see Tierney, Crofts, Whitbread and R Martin) takes you a damn sight further than trying to sign the "easy" but expensive signings.

Lambert - the man is a genious.

Oops, my maths aren''t what they used to be! Make that more like £2.6m, but still VERY VERY cheap!

You struggle to get 1 decent player for that these days, let alone your whole XI.

(and Peterborough wanted more than that just for 1 player!!!).

What a pile of old nonsense

try reading the club accounts, they are easy to find on the internet - you don''t have to read between the lines, the figures are there in black and white

any comparisons that can be made are those of the player wage bill ... otherwise you are as close as Scunthorpe are to making the playoffs

lol

i) half our squad was signed outside of the most recent publishd accounts

ii) ihave read the accounts and am pretty sure my figures tie up with this!

if you think its so innaccurate, then please tell me what YOU thnk the costs of the players are then!

I estimate:Ruddy £300kR Martin £100kTierney £100kBarnett £500kWhitbread £300k?Crofts £300kFox £100kSurman £1.2mHoolahan £250kLansbury Ln Fee £100kHolt £500kOthersLappin £100kJackson £600kWard FreeEdwards Ln £100kPacheco and Vokes £100k ln feeDrury £500krest sweet fa!

Interesting, Mr.76.

The only one who stands out as a non-bargain is Simeon, that is until his goal-scoring feat last week-end. If pound for pound we get as good value from Jacko as the others, then we will eventually have a more than decent little player on board. Fingers crossed. 

Thank goodness for the loan system and a manager who knows how to use it to it''s best (unlike a previous manager). I think the value of the first XI would be slightly higher than £2.6m if we had a sale now and we included the actual value of Lansbury and Pacheco.

Andrew Surman cost closer to £1m.

Lansbury and Pacheco probably have quite high loan fees. I have no idea what these would be.

Vokes and Edwards probably have slightly cheaper loan fees, because of who their parent clubs are.

Ruddy was closer to £500k I believe. And yeah I think the original poster is correct with regards to R Martin. He was a snip at £150k. Great signing.

Whilst I don''t disagree with the main thrust of the argument that Lambert has assembled a good squad quite cheaply, it is misleading to look simply at transfer fees.

In most cases, the transfer fee is a smaller part of the deal that brings a player to a club. If a "cheap" player signed for £100,000 but was on a three year package of say £4,000 a week, the £100, 000 rises to to £700,000 and this is before any bonuses, agents or signing on fees. Wages not transfer fees are really the key part of the deal.

Here''s a list with a few links to various unreliable sources quoting fees

Tierney   150khttp://www2.dailystar.co.uk/posts/view/172060/Norwich-new-boy-Marc-Tierney-is-one-in-a-million/Crofts    300khttp://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/8180200.Crofts_completes_Norwich_move/Surman   1.2m (telegraph) or 500k (sky)http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11096_6261656,00.htmlRuddy     100k

http://www.toffeeweb.com/players/past/Ruddy.phpHoolahan  250k + Matt Gilkshttp://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/14_wes_hoolahan_1_715947?action=logoutHolt      400khttp://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/n/norwich/8167797.stmWilbraham 100kwww.mirrorfootball.co.uk/.../Transfer-news-Norwich-to-swoop-for-MK-Dons-forward-Aaron-Wilbraham-article658331.html

Anyone else know where the rumours of other fee''s came from?

If everyone put the pedantism to one side.  I think the point of the thread demonstrates how a very decent manager can squeeze every drop of ''goodness'' out of relatively bargain basement buys.That in many ways make managers like Lambert far better than many Prem and international well ''knowns'' who have millions to spend on single players.

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]Fox cost 50k, what a fudging bargain[/quote]This is my understanding as well.

Fox at 50k. Didn''t know that. Thought it was around 500k. Bargain. A very underrated player, and one of our best and most consistent performers this season. Superb.

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]Fox cost 50k, what a fudging bargain[/quote]

I thought Lambert said he cost "about as much as a bottle of coke"!

You''re right, absolute bargain, says an awful lot about Mr Boothroyd too....

Please remember most of these ''fee''s'' would have been the upfront cost, and not the final cost with add-ons etc. taken into account..

I estimate:

Ruddy £500k

R Martin £200kk

Tierney £100k

Barnett £700k

Whitbread £600k

Crofts £300k

Fox £50k

Surman £1.2m

Hoolahan £250k

Lansbury £150k

Holt £450k

Fees for players these days are not what they seem, very hard to get an exact figure what with agents fees, and all the add ons, anyway we now have a team to be proud of unlike them down the road who did splash the cash for a while.

"i) half our squad was signed outside of the most recent publishd accounts

ii) ihave read the accounts and am pretty sure my figures tie up with this!

if you think its so innaccurate, then please tell me what YOU thnk the costs of the players are then! "

The you clearly HAVE NOT read the accounts as page 30 has -

Transfer of players’ registrations

Since the year end the Club has acquired the registrations of players

Elliott Ward,

Steven Smith,

David Fox,

Andrew Surman,

John Ruddy

Simeon Jackson.

The Club also sold the registrations of

Michael Spillane to Brentford,

Rhoys Wiggins to Bournemouth

David Stephens to Hibernian.

The net cost of these transactions was £1.4 million.

(9/12/2010)

Your figures give us just over £2,000,000. Now for the life of me I cannot believe that we received over £600,000 for Stephens, Wiggins, and Spillane. So i''s not really a case of thinking it''s so inaccurate just bothering to check with what the club states. Presuming the club, it''s secretary and the independant auditors are not all conniving in some great lie to prove you wrong.

What I do know is that these nonsenical claims in the media are no more than pure speculation designed to appease the simple minded. What I also know is as many have said earlier. There is no simple cost.

The registration fee may or not be high. The figure bandied about will often be no more than the sum total of the players contract. Remember Dave Strivka''s £750,000 transfer fee, which turned out to be his contract. It may or may not include signing on and agent fees. It may or may not include bonuses, and appearance money.

Is there any harm in speculating. probably not when as with mystic meg you are aware that it is meaningless hogwash ? The danger lies where certain ''fans'' take this figures and use them to attack the club and in so doing over exite the ''lower orders''

Up till a few years back this forum and elsewhere was clogged up with the anti club brigade endlessly churning out these figures to show that Delia, Doncaster and many others were syphoning off money as the outgoing fees did not match the incoming feesas they claimed - the fact that the audited club accounts disproved that buffoonerey mattered little.

The important point is the wages being paid. Most players move about with very little ''transfer fee'' being involved. They will have a clause in their contract which allows them to leave if another club makes a higher wage offer (usually set very high). The latter club will be lauded for getting a player on the cheap and the former for letting him go.

I expect pretty much everyone at City are on a fair old hefty bonus if we go up. I would further suggest that players have joined us because they have believe that the current structure in place at the club is able to deliver that taget of going up. What that bonus is I don''t know and have no real reason to speculate upon. Likewise agaents fees, player signing on fees and such like. I''m sure the club knows far better than any of us the intricate details etc so best left to them.

In that light we won''t know how well we have achieved on a cost basis, when set against other clubs. Other than to wait for club accounts to be published a year or so later. Until then ..........

Re. City1st, not quite sure what your problem is mate but I suggest you add my figures up again as those players you mention above DO NOT TOTAL £2m, in fact they are very close to your figure of £1.4m:

Ward FREE

S Smith FREE

Fox 200k

Surman 600k

Ruddy 200k

Jackson 600k

TOTAL £1.6m (allowing 200k for sale of Spillane, Stephens and Wiggins).

Anyway, the purpose of the thread was to discuss the fact that Lambert has put together a terrific squad on a shoestring. Yes, you are completely correct about there being lots of other costs within a transfer (obviously wages being the main one, but also signing on fees), but the fact remains a transfer fee still has to be paid reflective of the market value that player has (his contract situation and demand from other clubs also playing a significant part in determining the value).

Incidentally, Lambert has previously stated that what we paid for Barnett was "a steal". It has previously been mentioned that we paid the same for Barnett what we got for Nelson (£190k).

We didn''t pay £1.2m for Surman (as you say, the club accounts demonstrate this) though I appreciate with most of our signings IF we were to go up, we would owe a "sell on". Here''s hoping!

I thought it was more like this:Ruddy - 100kR.Martin - 350kWhitbread - 250kBarnett - 1mTierney - 350kFox - 100kCrofts - 350kHoolahan -  500kSurman - 1.2mPacheco - 100kHolt - 600kJust missing out:Lansbury - 100kVokes - 100kLappin - 150kWard - FreeDrury - 300k

[quote user="Lewie - Holt Our Saviour"]I thought it was more like this:Ruddy - 100kR.Martin - 350kWhitbread - 250kBarnett - 1mTierney - 350kFox - 100kCrofts - 350kHoolahan -  500kSurman - 1.2mPacheco - 100kHolt - 600kJust missing out:Lansbury - 100kVokes - 100kLappin - 150kWard - FreeDrury - 300k

[/quote]Jackson - 600kOverall of Starting XI: 4.9M

[quote user="TheGoogler"][quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]Fox cost 50k, what a fudging bargain[/quote]This is my understanding as well.[/quote]I''ll just add my tuppence worth and say that i too was under the impression that it was the aforementioned figure, as stated by ''Give Peas a Chance'', and quoted by ''TheGoogler''. [8-|]