Sign in to follow this  
Donnie Darko

Is Ashton a waste of money?

In the long term it is likely Ashton will be a good buy, but they have to look at the current future of the club, because they are looking at relegation. With that money they could have bought two maybe three half decent players. And if the club do get relegated then he is going to want to leave for a premiership club and the club will just lose him, for about half the price they bought him for. I think if Norwich stay up he will be a good buy, but he hasn''t got the ability to keep them up on his own.

Ashton is a quality signing the best of worthys targets. Give him a few games too find his feet and im confident he can carry on his scoring record which speaks for itself. I think against Villa he was just surprised at the pace of the Premiership. In division one he had time too control the ball but in this league players are on you like a flash. But im sure ashton will soon find the net

I think Ashton is a great signing. You mention we could have got 2 or 3 half decent players, but who ? The club have done the right thing, if we stay up Ashton will have had a lot to do with it, if we go down he will score the goals to bring us back up. We''ve also bought a valuable asset ( as opposed to a journeyman, coming to the end of their career ) who will hopefully be with us for years to come. So, to answer your question, no.

so what 3 players did you have in mind? for 3 million, or should i say 1 million each, I doubt you could get too many players better than who we already have. Also, if we do go down Ashton is not definitely going to leave and presuming he stays what better player can you want other than a proven top class championship goal scorer? Seems like a failry shrewd move to me.  

"I think if NORWICH stay up he will be a good buy, but he hasn''t got the ability to keep THEM up on his own"

This guy is a binner, no?

Even if it is a good point, let''s not let him start questioning the validity of our new record signing and future England international and NCFC hero.

[quote]In the long term it is likely Ashton will be a good buy, but they have to look at the current future of the club, because they are looking at relegation. With that money they could have bought two may...[/quote]

Only time will tell if this is, or any, purchase is a  good buy or not.

As regards to the future, I''m not sure what you mean by "current future". Contradiction ?

The most important spell is the near future , the next three months. In this period he will need time to gel and in that respect he probably is "a waste of money", as you put it.

Concerning the long term future, assuming relegation (yuk !), then he will be ready to spearhead our immediate return to the Premier, in that respect he will be value for money.

Concerning using the money on three other players, you wouldn''t get too much in the way of class for £1m.

On a personal note if I had £3m+ to spend I would have spent it on a classy midfielder, i:e Reid.

Ashton won''t keep us up on his own and £1 million doesn''t get you much these days. £3 million is very good business for a player who''s scored double figures for the last two seasons for a team in the bottom half of Div 1.

On Saturday I saw enough to make me believe we''ve got a great player, unfortunately some of them around him aren''t up to it at the moment

[quote]In the long term it is likely Ashton will be a good buy, but they have to look at the current future of the club, because they are looking at relegation. With that money they could have bought two may...[/quote]

If this isn''t too personal a question, just what mental ward have you escaped from mate?.  

what a stupid question. Hes the best striker outside the premier league, and quite simply next season, if he has to prove it again he will do so in spades. Its called an investment... Finidi George was a waste of money, you know all about him... so you shouldnt need to ask should you.

This poster is a binner (he started a deliberately inflammatory thread a few days ago but I can''t remember the topic unfortunately) so don''t bother to dignify this with debate as its a deliberate attempt to stir things up.

Whether he is a binman or not Pieman, you hit the nail on the head. That is EXACTLY why we bought him.

i agree tumbleweed......

i cant believe im hearing this

*runs off*

don''t underestimate STUPID people in large groups.  Unfortunately the stupid person that started this thread is well and truly on his own here.

He has played one agme and you are already slagging hm off. For gods sake give him a chance. You can start making these accusations if he hasn''t scored in a couple of games, and yes, i know we haven''t got much time left to come up with the goods to beat Palace, but give him time and we will reap the rewards. trust me

Ashton only scored around 74 in 180 which isn''t amazing but he is not just about scoring goals. He creates almost as many (hence Crewe''s amazingly high tally this season) and can hold the ball up as well as Shearer ever did, which should take the pressure of the midfield. He''s worth every penny lad!!! 

I would say that 74 in 180 games is an excellent strike rate and I''m very much looking forward to many more from Deano in the future.

Daniel , The other day on Sky Andy Gray was talking about a well known forward (cant remember his name) and really praising his goals record stating that he had scored 1 in 3 which is an excellent rate for a striker.  Ashton has 74 in 180 which if he was on one in three would be 74 in 222 so I think his goals record compares very favourably with others.