Sign in to follow this  
City penguin

1700 snigger

That wa the crowd, or lack of crowd , at postman road. Pathetic I think we had 23000 against Wycombe being in the drop zone after being thrashed in that opening game of the season. On a serious not when was the last league game we had a crowd that low?

I reckon the last time we had a crowd that low was when the Jarrold was being built and we had reduced capacity.

They had a great result on Saturday, are on a goodish run under a new manager so the only reason I can think for such a pathetic turn out is that the Cockenee Wannabees prefered to watch Arsenal on the telly

Up the Arse!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]They had a great result on Saturday, are on a goodish run under a new

manager so the only reason I can think for such a pathetic turn out is

that the Cockenee Wannabees prefered to watch Arsenal on the telly[/quote]Also, they have nothing to play for this season. Still not an excuse, mind.

You could have added that we only had three stands open at the time - the new South stand didn''t open until a fortnight after the Bradford game, suprised you forgot that (it''s quite a big part of the ground). So it isn''t really a fair comparison as it was lack of space rather than supporter apathy that saw us such a low number.

As to the paupers last nights dismal turnout was hadly an abheration. Crowds of 17 and 18 thousand have been pretty much the norm at poorman road since the end of October. They did have a a full house for Arsenal but that was balanced out by a lowly 11,000 against Premier League WBA in the round before.

Iit should also be remembered that their attendance figures are a total of all their season ticket sales plus casual ticket sales, so there is every liklihood that the figures a bit lower than listed. This from a club who saw a massive 2000 drop in season tiket sales last season and with the ''Keane effect'' now gone they may see an even bigger drop - possible down to around 11,000 or so.

So maybe our impoverished neoghbours could take a leaf out of McNallys book and adjust the seating numbers in accordance with demand. Though I''m not too sure whether the paupers have the dosh to pay for 10,000 seats to be taken out. Perhaps it would be cheaper to just close a stand or two - or maybe close the whole ground and move in with Colchester.

[quote user="City1st"]You could have added that we only had three stands open at the time - the new South stand didn''t open until a fortnight after the Bradford game.... [/quote]Indeed, I had forgotten that[:$]. So the correct answer is 19th March 2002: Gillingham (H) Att: 16,479. Interestingly the home attendances between then (late in the Play Off season) and The South Stand demo look to be consistently 20,000/21,000, maxing out at the latter for a Chelsea Home cup game. So I assume were playing to full houses even then, 21k being the all seater maximum then?      

The odd thing is that our terminally dim neighbours constantly squeak that we only filling our ground because we are letting in people on the cheap. That would make sense if it wasn''t for the fact that year on year our income has been higher than theirs.

So it might help if someone could explain to these halfwitted rustics that virtually every similar business that sells tickets does this - airlines, trains coaches, hotels, holidays etc. Yet poorman road has up to 12,000 empty seats and only about once this season (I believe) have these slow witted bumpkins attempted to catch up with what is routine practice elsewhere. It added an extra 5000 to the gate. Binner for a Tenner was the scheme, I think.

However I can only wonder where McNally thinks he can add extra seats in the ground. Shove some in along the front of each stand, but that hardly going to add more than a couple of hundred. The problem is the away segregation in South stand. As opposing fans can''t share facilities they have to be allocated a whole section.

I''m sure that northern fans would be happy with a wall to piss up against, something made of lard to eat and beer that has been shook up so much theres fives inches of froth and two imches of beer.