Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

Now here's a daft idea...

At least 2 big clubs (Arsenal & Liverpol) have got Goalie probs.
Norwich have an acknowledgely excellent one - probably the best player in the squad.
Could a mutually beneficial deal be done (e.g. Green for Pennant/Henchoz + cash/loan player)?
I know this is sacrilege, but, in the cold hard light of day, the leaking of 1 or 2 extra goals could be vastly outweighed by a stronger squad.
Not that it''s likely to happen, but Mr. Wenger for one looks a very worried man...

Andrew, welcome to the message board...

As regards sacrificing Greeno for a better defender/midfielder/striking option? I think it''sa tad risky...

With Greeno we know he''s gonna save us about 70-75% (estimated) of the time with a blinding save or a quick dash from his penalty box to stiffle the oppositions attack - how do any of us know for sure that the player we bring in for Greeno from another club is going to contribute the same level of success to the team, week in week out? In short we don''t know what we could be getting from the player coming in, but we all know what we''d be missing if Greeno left.

I personally think its better to stick with what we have got rather than gambling one of our most prized assets on a player who could turn out to be no more quality than what we already have. However, your point is one worth considering on its various merits.

There seems to be this strange misconception that Greeno is the only goalkeeper that can make blinding saves therefore keeping the team in the game.  Dont know if the people making these statements actually watch other football on the TV but most goalkeepers in the Premiership make blinding saves every week which can swing the game their way.  Take Sorrensons twisting backward save on Saturday which would have brought us an equaliser.  If Greeno had made that we would have all been saying what a world class save it was.  At the endo of the day it does not matter how good Greeno is or any other keeper for that matter because no goalkeeper will keep us in this league with a midfield and defence that we have got.  It is no good Greeno (or anyone else) making three good saves if he still lets in 2-3 goals because of our shoddy defending.  I for one would endorse the selling of Green if it meant strenghtening other areas as I am sure any Goalkeeper we had would make saves worthy of the position. 

Welcome Mr. Young

You wouldn''t live in Sidcup would you? I believe my sister is your vicar''s wife!! Welcome to the board- and many hours of searching for scraps of hope and gossip!!

Hope all is well!

And yes- Green should go if the offer comes in. But my guess is that Arsenal et al.. are waiting like vultures in the hope that we drop. That way they can snatch him up for a fraction of the price!!!

Welcome to the boards Mr Young.

I don''t think people realise how much difference a good goalkeeper really makes until you''ve not got one. So, no, definitely not. Greeno''s top drawer.

The window''s practicaklly two thirds shut already. No panic moves please.

Can''t see why Greens value would be less in the summer anyway. Lets keep him here and borrow against that collateral now - it could keep us up. We can square the books later by selling Green - and if we stay up, next years revenue is justification enough. Its a no lose strategy.

[quote]At least 2 big clubs (Arsenal & Liverpol) have got Goalie probs. Norwich have an acknowledgely excellent one - probably the best player in the squad. Could a mutually beneficial deal be done (e.g....[/quote]

oh yer lets sell Robert green.because he wont be missed,we will concede loads.we will be left with darren ward and paul gallacher.

westside, lets not look on the downside (sorry about the rhyme) our other keepers are internationals and therefore the money from the sale of Greeno could all be spent on strengthening the weaker areas of the team. I am not hoping that they do this, but if they do I can see the logic

[quote]There seems to be this strange misconception that Greeno is the only goalkeeper that can make blinding saves therefore keeping the team in the game. Dont know if the people making these statements ac...[/quote]

NavMan you are 100% spot on.  Green on his own is not going to keep us up.  2 or 3 quality signings could.  Many players at Arsenal, Man Utd and Liverpool I would have though could come here on loan.  Unfortunately they have to come in for Greeno in the first place

Thanks for all the welcome messages. Very kind.I should come clean & say I can''t be considered a proper fan as I don''t go to matches - all my info comes 2nd hand (MOTD etc.), but I REALLY like Norwich; players (always liked Hux),manager, fans, it all feels like a proper club to me.Anyway, I still feel selling Green to strengthen the squad may be the right thing to do - IF a reliable (key word) replacement can be found, even if he doesn''t stop as brilliantly as Green, as long as the defence - now a stronger defence - can feel confident in him.Question. If Sorensen hadn''t made that save, would it have changed the game? Or would Villa have won anyway?Although it''s nice to plan for the future & bring in only young players, you have to have a future first. Bouncing back may not be that easy. Stay up, that''s my tip. Look what Bolton have done with their motley crew!However, I have great confidence in Mr. Worthington. Another tip: don''t believe a word he says until Jan 31st.Yes Dougal, I meant "mad" not "daft". And Mrs. Doyle, will you PLEASE stop swearing at that nice Mr. Royle...

wake up call to all those that think Green keeps us in games

1) we are third from bottom

2) we have conceded the second most amount of goals in the prem (I think?)

3) our strikers don''t score

4) our midfield doesn''t win the battle

5) we have no crossers of the ball playing on the wings

6) our defence often make school boy errors that are always punished

Selling Green to get in 2 or more players is definitely a great idea.  We have two decent enough goalkeepers as back up and with a decent defence or midfield in front of them they won''t need to make hundreds of saves.  Green will not fetch big money if we go down, how many goalkeepers do anyway?   I don''t think he will fetch big money if we stay up, he is unproven at the top level.  Yes he makes some great saves, but we are still conceding more than nearly everyone else.

Andrew, NavMan and DDiM are all spot on.  The trouble is no one seems to be interested in Green at the moment.  Arsenal and Liverpool have injury problems of their own, so they don''t have bodies to spare out for loans, so all this talk of Pennant is pointless too.

Would somebody please tell me why Mr Worthington bought two international goalkeepers for the Club and also signed a junior goalkeeper. I should like to know.
To answer Mr Young''s suggestion, of course it would make sense to sacrifice Greeno IF we can get a couple of reliable defenders in to stop up the leaks!
OTBC