Sign in to follow this  
Patches OHoolahan

The Burnley Threat

I know we all got riled up when Forest hit a patch of form, but Burnley are looking relentless at the moment, hopefully they fall away, as I''ve never been the biggest fan of their club. Pompey also look like a threat if they can keep their run going, the momentum seems to be shifting outside of the top 6 in some places now. Any predictions for what the top 6 might look like at the end of the season?

Four wins and a draw from our last ten games will get us 76 points, which has always been enough for the play-offs. We don''t need to worry about anybody else.

Burnley or Pompey might sneak in, but it won''t be at the expense of us. And Forest have shown that it''s impossible to keep such a run going in this league. Burnley are going great at the moment, but they''ll start losing soon. Especially as they don''t have Lambert...

If we keep playing as we are, we don''t need to worry about what anyone else is doing.

In any case we should be aiming for 2nd place so we do not have to go through the tension of the play-offs.

Forest''s form has really seemed to falter so I think they mainly need to worry about the likes of Burnley and Pompey, as others have said, if we carry on picking up points like we do then we should be nailed on for a playoff spot, hopefully QPR will get a nice points deduction to make things really interesting!

Won''t be bad for us if Burnley carry on their form with their fixtures.They have to play;Leicester AwayForest AwaySwansea HomeLeeds AwayCardiff Home, last game!!!!!!If they''re taking points, this lot aren''t..................................

So far as a play off spot is concerned Burnley are far more of a threat to others. We have 63pts and 12 pts from 10 games should see us comfortably with a play off spot. Added to that Burnley have a very difficult run in. They have games in hand but they need to be translated into points. Having said all that if we do not sneak into an automatic i would not fancy them in the playoffs, but i guess neither would they fancy us

I think Burnleys run will continue for a while (as they have Millwall and Coventry at home this week) and they will be in the top six. They do however have to play 5 of the other promotion contenders in the their last few games and will drop points in those fixtures. A bit like Forest or Leicester, it is easy to assume they are better than they are when you look at the run of results but as we know from when we played them (and should have beaten them) they are no better than us and we should not fear them. Even if they win both of their games in hand they will still be below us.

[quote user="willo2"]Won''t be bad for us if Burnley carry on their form with their fixtures.

They have to play;

Leicester Away
Forest Away
Swansea Home
Leeds Away
Cardiff Home, last game!!!!!!

If they''re taking points, this lot aren''t..................................
[/quote]

Great spot. They have a nasty looking run in there. I am very confident we will be in the play offs at the very least now. For the first time this season I am genuinely looking up at 2nd rather than down at who is in 7th. (I know, pessimist or what!)

Although the league is very unpredictable and anyone can beat anyone, Burnley have had some easy fixtures recently, and like the poster above said they''ve got some very tough ones coming up. Shame they didn''t keep Laws in his job for another few weeks

As we found out recently, no game is easy in this league, Coventry are just as likely to beat Burnley as they aren''t and as for Millwall, well they just rolled over QPR and who expected that?!?

There are still some huge games to play for all the teams in contention so it''s going to be one hell of a ride to the end of the season!!

Additional point, had it suggested to me the other day how we''d missed out on the opportunity if max points against Donny and Preston which is true, but someone somewhere is looking out for us as no-one capitalises on our slip ups, could be our lucky year, you just never know....

I don''t know about anyone else, but i''m still hoping we win the league full stop! You look at QPR''s games left and i can see them losing a couple and drawing a few... The onus is on us to keep winning - There''s 30 points to play for. I believe it''s do-able, and until we mathmatically can''t do it, only then will i be looking at second spot!.

Isn''t it the team that comes into the playoffs in the best form that normally wins the thing outright? That could be Burnley at this rate. I would have thought if we keep things up, second place is realistically more than acheivable.

OTBC

The only team i think we really need to worry ourselves about is Swansea.  If we beat them at their place, or at least dont lose then second place is right up for grabs.  Other teams, including swansea i think rely too heavily on one player to score their goals, yes Holt has been massive for us, but i do think we have enough fire power from midfield to support us should Holty be suspended, where as i think Swansea would struggle without Sinclair, Leeds without Becchio etc more.  Leeds especially given their inability to keep the opposition team from scoring at least 2 in most games.If we keep playing like we are, get any kind of result in Wales then i hope Burnley do start to look somewhat a threat later on, as this will mean, as has been said, less points on the board for the other teams in the top 6.  All in all i think Swansea and Portsmouth are the only 2 games to get worried about given current form (obviously this can change), and to a lesser extent Bristol on Monday given our historical TV voodoo and not so sparkling home form.  Having said that, if we play like we did on Tuesday night we will blow them out of the water and send them packing with their tails between their legs!We are where we are because we are there by right, we dont need to strengthen our strike force, we dont need this, we dont need that, all we need is a bit of luck with key players (wes, crofts, holt and ruddy) staying fit and we WILL be in the mix for automatic promotion in a few short weeks time!

[quote user="whoareyou"]

If we keep playing as we are, we don''t need to worry about what anyone else is doing.

In any case we should be aiming for 2nd place so we do not have to go through the tension of the play-offs.

[/quote]We should be aiming to win the League not aiming to finish in in second spot.

[quote user="Patches OHoolahan"]I know we all got riled up when Forest hit a patch of form, but Burnley are looking relentless at the moment, hopefully they fall away, as I''ve never been the biggest fan of their club. Pompey also look like a threat if they can keep their run going, the momentum seems to be shifting outside of the top 6 in some places now. Any predictions for what the top 6 might look like at the end of the season?[/quote]A few weeks ago it was the Forest threat.Then we had the Leicester threat.I predict the Burnley threat will end up in much the same way as the previous two.

[quote user="Harry"][quote user="whoareyou"]

[/quote]We should be aiming to win the League not aiming to finish in in second spot.[/quote]That would be nice but while it is not in our own hands to win the league, it is in our own hands to finish second.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Harry"][quote user="whoareyou"]

[/quote]We should be aiming to win the League not aiming to finish in in second spot.[/quote]That would be nice but while it is not in our own hands to win the league, it is in our own hands to finish second.[/quote]It doesn''t stop us aiming for top spot though ricardo, with all that''s going on at QPR I can see them dropping quite a few points between now and the end of the season.

[quote user="Harry"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Harry"][quote user="whoareyou"]

[/quote]

We should be aiming to win the League not aiming to finish in in second spot.
[/quote]

That would be nice but while it is not in our own hands to win the league, it is in our own hands to finish second.
[/quote]

It doesn''t stop us aiming for top spot though ricardo, with all that''s going on at QPR I can see them dropping quite a few points between now and the end of the season.
[/quote]

Totally agree Harry - I for one will be very interested to see how QPR play this coming Saturday. And i also wouldn''t mind betting that their ''not brilliant'' performance at Millwall had something to do with whats going on at Loftus Rd, they must have know the news was about to break... Make no mistake, it will have an effect i''m sure - Put''s ALOT of PRESSURE on QPR to get points on the board quick [;)]

What about Hull?  They are up there and going under the radar so you can''t rule them out yet.  Beating Leicster on Tuseday basically made it one hell of a task for them to come above us and I imagine if we beat Hull when we play them, then it would be the same but don''t rule them out yet.

At the moment though I am concentrating on second place though.  All season all I have been worried about is staying in the play offs but we have agreat chance now to go up automatically and we have the squad and management team to do it.  I would love to go up through the play offs because of Wembley etc but with lots of teams such as Burnley, Hull and Leicster being in form I''m not really fancying it because the team who has the best form going into it usually goes up.