Sign in to follow this  
onemusketeer

I Was Thinking Last Night - Cody McDonald & Play Offs

After last nights brilliant performance i was thinking to myself regarding the end of season play-offs.

Would i be right in thinking that if Gillingham fail to reach the League 2 play offs - therefore Cody McDonald''s "season long loan" has then ended....

Should we fail to reach the automatic promotion positions - surely Cody McDonald having returned to his parent club would be available for any Norwich City play off fixtures ???

Just thinking it could be very beneficial to have an inform striker with 20 odd (by then) goals to his name returning and available for the play offs....

That may be true, I don''t know the details of his loan, but would it be advisable.

Even if through injuries or suspensions we had no other strikers or others to play up front, would it be wise to include a player who has been missing for months and playing with teammates he may barely know, and certainly has not played with?

He would be fit, but he doesn''t know the games and qualities of others, nor do they know his skills and ways of playing. I doubt there would be time to overcome the lack of familiarity.

Players always take time to "bed-in", and he would be like a new player.

What''s with the Cody obsession? He only started 4 games for us last season and if he was as good as people think we wouldn''t of loaned him out.

I cannot understand also, never impressed me with his all round game, looked weak in comparison to Martin. I think Lambert would have assessed Cody and saw that he is not up to this division.World of difference between League 2 and Championship. Wouldn''t be surprised if he stayed there next season on a permanent.

I''ve been thinking that anyone that thinks Cody is good enough for this level needs to take a reality check

Cody scores goals in League 2 and is now deemed good enough to do a job at this level which is 2 leagues above

Jackson scores goals in League 1 so by this reconing should be able to do a job 2 leagues up in the premiership?

He''s found his level and has no future at Norwich because he''s not good enough! simple! and for everyone that comes out with him being yound and one for the future, he aint that young and is the same age as Chris Martin and no where near the player he is

Certainly no Cody obsession from here - Just bringing up a point that may or may not come in useful...

Certainly at this moment in time a McDonald coming off the bench would be more of a threat than Jackson.

[quote user="onemusketeer"]Certainly no Cody obsession from here - Just bringing up a point that may or may not come in useful...

Certainly at this moment in time a McDonald coming off the bench would be more of a threat than Jackson.[/quote]Agreed. Five minutes to go, bring on the super sub...[img]http://blisstree.com/files/2010/04/ronald_mcdonald_jumping1-1.jpg[/img]

OP raises a good point. I have said all season the cody obsession is absurd as there was never a chance of bringing him back, however he could be usefull in the playoffs. Cody is an unknown talent the opposition wont know off and be used too as well. He can obviously finish and has some pace, while running Le Fondre close for golden boat this season, so must have something about him. Would be a very useful sub in my opinion, and it wouldnt really be harsh if he took jackson or mcnamee place on the bench as neither have played much of a part this season. Anyway this thread will be pointless once we gain automatic promotion!!!

I''m convinced that some people could be eating their words next season if Cody is given a fair chance. With the chances we create and his pace and scoring instincts in and out of the box I''ve no doubt he will score goals alongside a big man.  Time will tell, but it does annoy me that people write players off when they have not been given a proper chance. If he comes back in time for the play-offs then great, but I''m hoping that he will not get a chance because we will have got an automatic spot.

holt came from playing regular league 2 football..

Cody came from playing non league football, he has not had a season playing league 2 football. Surely he is worth giving a chance when/if he comes back. I would love him to come back but a source of mine (my only source) said he doesn''t want to come back. This is the same source who got Cody to come to the local village football presentation night [y]

I think with loans like this it tends to be until the 31st May. Obviously don''t take this as gospel, I''m just going on what I''ve heard from previous season long loans.

Anyway, we don''t need Cody. Wilbie will come off the bench and head in a Ruddy free kick in injury time.

Lambert has seen enough of Cody last season and in the off season, to realise that he was worth the trade in the summer for jackson, even if it was for a loan.

Now I am not a massive jackson fan and feel that, next season we will be looking not for a player to compete with jackson for the starting place (as we did with this season and martin) but to partner Holt, with Martin again competing with another proven championship striker. Hence Jackson behind a new forward, wouldn''t mind another, Holt, Martin and Wilby (because of his ability to back up Holt). Hence not much space for oli, jackson and cody. That for me is an ideal situation, but that rarely happens in football who wants to leave and who wants a player comes in to question.

So forget this arguement of a run of games, it is what they do in training each week that warrants a place in the team. Next season three strikers will have to do a hell of a lot if they want to be here, because we will be in the market for starters to improve our first 11 and these three have not done enough so far.

[quote user="smooth"]

Lambert has seen enough of Cody last season and in the off season, to realise that he was worth the trade in the summer for jackson, even if it was for a loan.

Now I am not a massive jackson fan and feel that, next season we will be looking not for a player to compete with jackson for the starting place (as we did with this season and martin) but to partner Holt, with Martin again competing with another proven championship striker. Hence Jackson behind a new forward, wouldn''t mind another, Holt, Martin and Wilby (because of his ability to back up Holt). Hence not much space for oli, jackson and cody. That for me is an ideal situation, but that rarely happens in football who wants to leave and who wants a player comes in to question.

So forget this arguement of a run of games, it is what they do in training each week that warrants a place in the team. Next season three strikers will have to do a hell of a lot if they want to be here, because we will be in the market for starters to improve our first 11 and these three have not done enough so far.

[/quote]

... and I was told earlier this week to forget about suggesting that Holt takes our penalties after Saturday because Lambert had obviously decided Wes was best, based on seeing him at training, so it would not be changed. Opinions can be changed !!! Far too many are quick to write others off IMO.     

In Cody''s first season with us in the Championship people were very impressed with him and whenever he came on as a sub and got the ball he looked dangerous. Granted, there is a difference between starting and coming on as a sub, as was the case with Oli in League 1, but after a successful season in League 2 surely he''d come back an even better player than 2 years ago, where he still looked lively at this level.People may say Jackson scored goals at that level and in League 1, but (and this is according to FM, which is normally right) he only scored 19 in league 2 and 14 in league 1, whilst being Gillingham''s penalty taker. Cody''s already nearly scored as many as Jackon (18) and he missed the first month or 2 of the season, and then it would have taken him a while to regain his fitness/match sharpness.Whilst there''s no guarantee Cody will do it at this level, I''d love to see him given a chance whether it be in the play-offs, as an impact sub, or next season. If he''s good enough he''ll get in the team, if not, he won''t and we''ll be able to sell him on for a decent fee. It''s a win-win situation.

Three goals at Leicester and you''re on about bringing back a sub-standard loan out?What is wrong with some of you lot?

I do wonder at times , was not that long ago that fans wondered if Holt good enough for Championship. Cody is still young and only been in Professional football a few years ( believe still scaffold er three years ago) He is clearly learning fast and certainly good enough for League One and who knows beyond. I suspect if we do not go up will be given a chance here. You can never tell though look at Jackson still to shine, I would have loaned him out to League One team long ago to see if he could get his scoring boots on

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]Three goals at Leicester and you''re on about bringing back a sub-standard loan out?

What is wrong with some of you lot?
[/quote]

So it follows now that we will win every game for ever more by your logic. [:D]

paul that is not how I had heard it, I understood that lambert had the belief of whoever felt right to take the pen would. So far Wes has and that may be down to what is on the training ground.

I also know upon Lambert''s arrival he made it clear the doc was not good enough. But as you say things changed (due to injuries and proving his place), but only until promotion. I would say we bought better players for centre back with Whitbread, Barnett and Ward than the Doc so there we go. Opinions can change, when required.

I believe we will be in the market for a new striker in the summer and now with the position we are in we are looking at bringing in starters to improve our first 11. Good luck to Cody, Oli and Simeon - they will have alot to prove and if they want a starting place next season. It could happen but I cannot see with the other strikers before them, we have missed out on players before, but we have also moved on players who have not done so well elsewhere.

Football is a tough career with more players not having clubs at the end of the seasons than ever before, agents working harder. If you aren''t playing you will not be seen or not always offered a new contract. These three need to be playing and Jackson is here a little, Cody is doing very well and Oli is playing for Yeovil so they are playing. So you could say that Lambert is putting them in the shop window at potential suitors, or the players themselves are keen, certainly the agents will be. Yes there will be times when a player will bite you in the behind after being let go, but most often than not if it hasn''t worked out at our club they move to a club below you and there is the answer, they usually are not going in the direction that your club is or wants to go.

But that is next season and back to the questioin. If Cody was available for the play-off final and we were there, who knows, it would be a great story. But a long way off so we''ll see nearer the time.

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]Three goals at Leicester and you''re on about bringing back a sub-standard loan out?What is wrong with some of you lot?[/quote]

So it follows now that we will win every game for ever more by your logic. [:D]

[/quote]Good luck to the lad... but he will bring nothing to the team at this level.Go with what we''ve got. If we go up then we will be looking for a vastly better level of player.... if we don''t then give him a look.I''m sure Paul Lambert is looking at this in the same way.

When we lost 7-1 to Colchester who scored the 1?When we went down to 9 men and had no keeper who was the first one to step up and go into goal?Who on numourous occassions set up tap ins for other players rather than shoot from a harder angle just to get the goal himself?

As far as I recall, Wes was the already the designated penalty-taker before Holt or Lambert arrived, so I would imagine that Lambert was reluctant to change something that was not broken. Therefore Holt never got the chance until last weekend''s debacle, and I would imagine that after that brilliantly taken penalty last night he will now continue to take them. 

Me too; I''d love to see Cody back here.

Grant Holt came from lower level, and Fox, and Crofts -Charlie Austin, DJ Campbell, Michael Kighly the same. It doesn''t matter where you''ve been - its where you''re going that counts!...

[quote user="AndyTGT"]When we lost 7-1 to Colchester who scored the 1?When we went down to 9 men and had no keeper who was the first one to step up and go into goal?Who on numourous occassions set up tap ins for other players rather than shoot from a harder angle just to get the goal himself?[/quote]

Agreed, he is the new David Neilson.

I love it how some people seem to know conclusively whether or not Cody is good enough from the championship. What are you all basing it on the few times he played for us at the start of his professional career or do some of you reguarly go and watch Gillingham?