Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

Cody McDonald scores his 19th of the season...

[quote user="Canary Boy"]He looks a good one for the future...[/quote]I keep hearing this as if he''s some up and coming kid. He''s nearly 25.

But Northluck, he only became a professional footballer a couple of years ago. Which means, although he''s not young, he''s definatly still learning.

[quote user="Lincoln Yellow"]This is the most over used forum title this season.

It''s boriiiiiiinggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg
[/quote]

Yep, cos he just keeps scoring.... LOL    19 now but still no good is he.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Cureton has 15 this season you know. Why couldn''t he do that for us?[/quote]Isn''t it because Exeter have barn doors for goalposts?

Grant Holt only scored 20 as Shrewsbury''s penalty taker over the course of 43 games in League Two, at the age of 28. Cody McDonald, yet to take a penalty for Gillingham, has scored 19 in only 31 games at the age of 24.Davide Somma at Lincoln, at the same age as Cody at Gillingham, scored 9

in 14 games last season, not an entirely dissimilar record, and has

been one of, if not the most lethal striker in the Championship this

season.

Cody has a lot of potential, and i''ll be damned if the same old typical Pink ''Un bashing has any say over his career. His success is to be celebrated, not berated.

[quote user="John"]Grant Holt only scored 20 as Shrewsbury''s penalty taker over the course of 43 games in League Two, at the age of 28. Cody McDonald, yet to take a penalty for Gillingham, has scored 19 in only 31 games at the age of 24.Davide Somma at Lincoln, at the same age as Cody at Gillingham, scored 9

season.

Cody has a lot of potential, and i''ll be damned if the same old typical Pink ''Un bashing has any say over his career. His success is to be celebrated, not berated.[/quote]John, everyone knows Cody McDonald has found his level and no amount of sense, logic or fact is going to change that.

"Cody has a lot of potential, and i''ll be damned if the same old typical Pink ''Un bashing has any say over his career. His success is to be celebrated, not berated."

I think its safe to say nothing said on here has any effect on the players, and thank f*** for that.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Cureton has 15 this season you know. Why couldn''t he do that for us?[/quote]

Because he rarely played for us llast season but when he did he notched a couple.

I''m sure he wouldn''t get quite as many as at Gillingham, but i''d bet he''d put a few away at this level. You can''t just say ''He wouldn''t be able to do it at this level'', you don''t know that for a fact - It''s ridiculous! Craig Bellamy scores more at a higher level - Work that one out!.

No offence to Willy, and they''re different players, but i''m fairly sure if Cody had 10 games in a row for us he''d bury more than just 1 - Reason being, he''s a far more natural finisher than Willy (but i do appreciate what AW brings to the team).

[quote user="John"]Grant Holt only scored 20 as Shrewsbury''s penalty taker over the course of 43 games in League Two, at the age of 28. Cody McDonald, yet to take a penalty for Gillingham, has scored 19 in only 31 games at the age of 24.Davide Somma at Lincoln, at the same age as Cody at Gillingham, scored 9

season.

Cody has a lot of potential, and i''ll be damned if the same old typical Pink ''Un bashing has any say over his career. His success is to be celebrated, not berated.[/quote]Well said.

[quote user="Alex"]I''m sure he wouldn''t get quite as many as at Gillingham, but i''d bet he''d put a few away at this level. You can''t just say ''He wouldn''t be able to do it at this level'', you don''t know that for a fact - It''s ridiculous! Craig Bellamy scores more at a higher level - Work that one out!.

No offence to Willy, and they''re different players, but i''m fairly sure if Cody had 10 games in a row for us he''d bury more than just 1 - Reason being, he''s a far more natural finisher than Willy (but i do appreciate what AW brings to the team).[/quote]Look at the career of my previous example Davide Somma Alex. His record abroad in far less testing Leagues than the Championship would suggest he''s a player destined only to fall deeper into the realms of mediocrity. I simply wouldn''t believe anyone here, Cody fan or not, that would imply that they''d as much of touched him with a barge poll.Of course history doesn''t dictate the game, it merely records it (a fatal flaw that many an ignorant fan falls foul to), and Somma, has so far gone on to prove himself remarkably as a Championship player, in spite of a less than lavish past.Cody''s career can go one of not 2, 3, or 4, but many many ways. To stubbornly assume his success in League Two has decided the destiny of his career as a League Two player is sheer bweliderment, and dare i say, daft.

John, I don''t think people are berating his success - I''m certainly not - however, the constant need to post on the forum everytime he scores is becoming ridiculous.

It is superb that he is doing so well, and if by some unfortunate chance we miss out on promotion I''d like to see us give him a chance in the first half of the season. He certainly deserves it.

Thought I''d also add that Jamie scored his 15th today [:D]

[quote user="cityangel"]Thought I''d also add that Jamie scored his 15th today [:D][/quote]

You had to get that in didn''t you, CA? haha!

John, some very good points made about Somma etc and some food for thought in that post - I totally agree with you.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_oWnEufotiMg/TUbJ03pA8xI/AAAAAAAAABU/Q0EQ8vnbFtQ/s1600/yawn.jpg[/img][/quote]

I can see what everyone is saying here but I really do have to wave away any nonsense that ''he has found his level''.

If a striker hits 20-30 goals a season in any league other than the prem, you tend to find the league, or leagues above them start to come sniffing.

In all fairness, why shouldn''t he be given a chance? I look at Oli and I just don''t see him being such a big goal threat. I look at Jackson and again I am not sure.

Cody is different to them. It''s not just his pace, its his awareness, his ability to provide chances as well as score them. I still think he should be given a chance - if not, as an in-form goal scorer he is probably going to demand a higher price.

I think he will prove to be Championship level, he is better than half the useless strikers that we had on loan a couple of seasons back.

People have mentioned Le Fondre, he is only 1 ahead on 20.

I would say his pace and intelligence would be a great thing to have back in the squad.

Regardless of the level he is scoring at, I think he has more than risen to the challenge of going out and proving himself thsi season, and he has earned the right to be back here next season and prove himself once again. Worst that can happen is that we develop him further and turn a profit.

It is very pleasing that Cody has done so well this season, and at this stage of his development this is exactly what he has needed, regular football. He could certainly do a job for us, but that very much depends on what league we are in next season?

As people have said above, if a player can score 20+ in a league then he has the potential to play higher than that level.  He deserves an opportunity with us next season, if Lambert considers him worthy!

Cody''s not got a future here, he''s scoring goals in League 2, we''ll be playing Premier League football next season.

I wish the lad well but he''s not going to be pulling on a Norwich jersey next season.