Sign in to follow this  
jeagle

Why don't players want to join us?

I know the location of our club has always been an issue, but why don''t players want to come here on loan? Surely most can see that the team is playing good football, winning games and confidence is high. Why wouldn''t a player want to join a good team with a very realistic chance of promotion?

If nothing else, you''d think they would look at our gaffa and say he must be doing something right, plus the other loan players like Lansbury and say if he is enjoying it (which he seems to be), then it must be a good place to go and play football?

I for one hope that it''s Lambert''s decision and not that players are turning us down.

I think it is primarily down to location. Its hard to get players here but funnily enough once they arrive in the area many dont want to leave. Many even come back after they have finished playing

I don''t feel they are turning us down due anything to do with football, it''s more to do with players personal lives. Most have WAGS that they will be seperated from and they have to stay in a hotel rather than a home life.

If you are looking at Lamberts comments I would look a bit further than ''they don''t want to come here''.

Throughout the rest of that article he says things like I want hungry players, players that are fully fit or very close to it etc.

From that I would suggest that it is more a statement from him. He feels that players that want to come here as some sort of ''favour'' ie I get games and get match fit again, don''t really want to be here mentally.

I would have to go with that, if a player doesn''t jump up and say ''yes'' I am bored of sitting on the bench, let me at some of that promotion fight, then you would have to agree with Lambert and say that they don''t want to be here.

The reality is though, most players like that will be players that feel they don''t have a chance where they are and are willing to go elsewhere to prove themselves either to their manager or to any interested parties.

Or is it their clubs refusing to let them go (Brighton and Bennett!). It should be remembered that PL is very choosy, wanting players with (permiership?) potential, of a certain age group and willing to give their all in the cause.

As far as we know, most refusals have come from requests for loan deals, for the rest of the season. If you were a player in the premiership, sitting on the bench most weeks, would you want to uproot yourself and leave your family for up to four months to go to sit on a bench elsewhere for a championship club? What incentive is there when there is always the chance that you will get a game for you own premiership side?

You would have to fit into a new squad, who would have no particular reason to welcome you, and might have animosity if you are threatening their places.

The easy way is to stay put and not to rush off to another club who may have shown no interest in you previously and now want you in case.

I have assumed that the targets were premiership players. They might have been from the Championship or lower divisions - one from Burnley could have come, but decided to stay with Burnley, another was from Division One, and seemed willing to move, but Brighton were fierce in dtermination not to allow him.

Our interest was for a temporary player, with perhaps an understanding to sign permanently. He would have to be a regular and heavy goal scorer already, and these are difficult to prize away!

From the interview Lambert gave a week or two ago, he suggested it was the "right" players that were not coming. Seems he could bring people in and people would be willing to come but they weren''t the ones he wanted! At this stage of the season, would players like to come into a dressing room this late where 75% of the works been done and they could upset a few people by taking positions someone had been doing all season. They also wouldn''t be guarenteed games given the form of the current fit players. They perhaps will only play if injuries occur.

I suspect there will be a similar problem in the summer if we''re promoted (would obviously love promotion, Norwich on TV regularly! possibly). I would liken our situation to that of blackpool. No playing budget to over compensate players to come (which lambert wouldn''t sign off on anyway given his rhetoric towards getting the right ''hungry'' players).

Players won''t come because of small budgets at Norwich City. I think that would be it. If we made it to the Premiership this season, given the way Lambert wants his team pay - i could see Lansbury and a few other arsenal players coming to play for us on season loans. Quality we couldn''t afford in the market.

I think there is a massive amount of players who just want to sit and pick up wages. I doubt we can get the really hungry/winners because clubs dont want to let them go.

On the other side of the coin you have the likes of Dyer and Bullard who I would imagine are on phenomenal wages.

Dont think we will get anyone in now. Its go with what we have got time. I just hope that Chris Martin can find a goalscoring touch because we need it desperately.

Mind you, so does the lad if he realistically wants to get a chance to play in the prem. Hes done nothing for months that would suggest he is any where near good enough!!

Carlos, won''t Martin only have 3 or so games + potential play-offs when he''s back? Unless there has been an update.

I haven''t seen the interview yet, but i would imagine its not so much players not wanting to come here, although probably a bit of that, but more not the right players being available.

Location shouldn''t really be an issue, all the players have to do is ask a couple o ex canaries, who stick around in Norfolk.

[quote user="Salopian"]Or is it their clubs refusing to let them go (Brighton and Bennett!). It should be remembered that PL is very choosy, wanting players with (permiership?) potential, of a certain age group and willing to give their all in the cause. As far as we know, most refusals have come from requests for loan deals, for the rest of the season. If you were a player in the premiership, sitting on the bench most weeks, would you want to uproot yourself and leave your family for up to four months to go to sit on a bench elsewhere for a championship club? What incentive is there when there is always the chance that you will get a game for you own premiership side? You would have to fit into a new squad, who would have no particular reason to welcome you, and might have animosity if you are threatening their places. The easy way is to stay put and not to rush off to another club who may have shown no interest in you previously and now want you in case. I have assumed that the targets were premiership players. They might have been from the Championship or lower divisions - one from Burnley could have come, but decided to stay with Burnley, another was from Division One, and seemed willing to move, but Brighton were fierce in dtermination not to allow him. Our interest was for a temporary player, with perhaps an understanding to sign permanently. He would have to be a regular and heavy goal scorer already, and these are difficult to prize away![/quote]

if you are referring to Blake at Burnley...he''s at Bolton

it''s that some players do not want to go out on loan - so when we ask, it''s us they are turning down

perhaps when you have found out what other clubs have enquired about then then you can tell us all who else the don''t want to join

Lets not worry about why players may not want to join us. Lambert has issued statements which suggests that players will be willing to join us, but they are not the right players for us and unless he finds someone who will compliment our squad and team spirit, then no one will be coming in, and that is good enough for me. Our team has a chance to go into second tonight, it is all in our own hands...lets all just get behind our current players who have got us into this position, without worrying about those who would rather sit on a bench; we don''t want players like that and it is their loss.

Some good points. the main reson behind my OP was that I do think we need a little bit of a boost from somewhere, which again may not be available on the loan market.

I guess the main one I was refferring to (and I assume Lambert was too) was Robbie Blake. Most of the footballers I know absolutely hate not playing, so I can''t see why a Premiership player would be any different. At the end of the day they get the same wage if they are on loan and they don''t have to commit to any more than a month away (to see how it goes). I know travelling to and from Norwich is a pain, but players like Holty still go home quite regularly so we can''t really use the location excuse in every case.

On another note, I''ve heard C.Martin''s injury recovery is going well and he maybe back sooner than expected, Scunthorpe game at the earliest.

[quote user="jeagle"]

Some good points. the main reson behind my OP was that I do think we need a little bit of a boost from somewhere, which again may not be available on the loan market.

I guess the main one I was refferring to (and I assume Lambert was too) was Robbie Blake. Most of the footballers I know absolutely hate not playing, so I can''t see why a Premiership player would be any different. At the end of the day they get the same wage if they are on loan and they don''t have to commit to any more than a month away (to see how it goes). I know travelling to and from Norwich is a pain, but players like Holty still go home quite regularly so we can''t really use the location excuse in every case.

On another note, I''ve heard C.Martin''s injury recovery is going well and he maybe back sooner than expected, Scunthorpe game at the earliest.

[/quote]

Well I have a friend who works at Norwich airport, and has told me that he has seen Lambert Nelson  and Holt boarding domestic flights up north on several occasions, So as you so rightly say getting home for these far away players don''t have a problem Even JBA fly''s home, which brings me to why I think they won''t come is more than lilkey down to the comfort zone get paid and do nothing for it   

I can see where some of these players are coming from.

If someone wanted to "borrow" me for three months which would mean my living out of a suitcase, in an area I don''t know, surrounded by people I don''t know, and might never see again after that three months-and who, conversely, might not be too bothered about me as I am only going to be around for three months-then I wouldn''t be in too much of a hurry to move away from my friends and home comforts to sod off somewhere else on that basis either!

But I''m not "hungry", I''m quite content where I am. I would assume those that are "hungry" would jump at the chance, it would seem that we just haven''t found someone like that yet!

[quote user="Old Shuck"]But I''m not "hungry", I''m quite content where I am. I would assume those that are "hungry" would jump at the chance, it would seem that we just haven''t found someone like that yet![/quote]I think that''s hit the nail on the head Old Shuck. Not saying you personally but if you look at it from the view of any job, the hungry to succeed would happily go on secondment to say York, live out of a hotel, work their a$$ off for someone they probably won''t ever work for again, and then return to their original role knowing they''ve worked really hard and proved themselves for their next chance. Or get made permanent because they''ve been outstanding. They''re the players we want and they''re the workers that most companies would love to have.

Absolutely WLTFO. Its not the best comparison as I work for myself, however, years back, when I was faffing about the corporate ladder, a chance to go somewhere, albeit temporarily, to make a name for myself and have a chance of some recognition would have seen hands snapped off.

Blake was a case in point, he''s been there, done that, worn the T-Shirt (or, in his case, the lucky red underpants) and, rightly or wrongly, doesn''t feel he need to go out on loan.

Lansbury, on the other hand-wants to play, wants to impress, wants, of course, to have a career with Arsenal-so, unlike Blake, he jumps at the chance, as he can see a bigger picture and where NCFC stand on his career ladder.

I do wonder if there are young, hungry players and older, settled players-but very few older, hungry players!

[quote user="Carlos Valderrama"]  I just hope that Chris Martin can find a goalscoring touch because we need it desperately. Mind you, so does the lad if he realistically wants to get a chance to play in the prem. Hes done nothing for months that would suggest he is any where near good enough!![/quote]

Don''t understand this - you say that we need him back desperately even though we have drawn 3 and won 2 of the games without him (scoring 9 goals on the way) and then say that he is useless anyway???