Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Are we the fittest team in the Championship?

Parallels with Ron Saunders team that won promotion our first promotion to the top flight in 1971-72 are becoming more and more evident.

A manager on the up - and a man of few words. An under-rated team performing above the sum of the individual parts. Arguably the the fittest team in the league.

Saunders'' famous (some would say infamous!) Mousehold Heath and Hemsby sand dunes fitness routines had a big part to play then. I wonder what our recipe (secret?) is this time around?

Is it German?

Who knows...........?

OTBC

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]It''s not the matter of scoring late goals consistently but the high tempo pressing game we''re playing that impresses me. To play like that for 90+ minutes takes great fitness levels.[/quote]

I agree on the physical fitness but I think we also have great mental strength.  If you look at the number of times we go behind or get pegged back, but you can see the team still think they''re going to win.  E.g. at Leeds or Leicester, when they scored, a lot of teams would have wilted.

I''ll always remember the game at Huddersfield last year, who at that time were undefeated at home, and we conceded a goal 3 minutes in.  We gradually got stronger and stronger, and by the time we scored the 3rd goal they were completely under the cosh.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]It''s not the matter of scoring late goals consistently but the high tempo pressing game we''re playing that impresses me. To play like that for 90+ minutes takes great fitness levels.[/quote]We don''t always play at a high tempo, I don''t think. When we don''t have the ball, the work-rate and pressing to get it back is absolutely first-rate, but a lot of the time (especially when we''re leading) we slow the tempo down and concentrate on keeping possession. That in itself allows you to conserve energy for when you really need it - according to the BBC we had 65% of possession last night. The ball travels faster than any player can, and keeping possession and slowing the tempo is one of the reasons that we always seem to have the extra energy to raise our game when we need to (especially in the last 15 minutes of games). I agree that the fitness levels are outstanding, but intelligent use of possession is also a factor. Totally agree about the mental ''fitness'' though - momentum is such a powerful thing, and at the moment we have it in spades; pound for pound, I''d say we''re as mentally strong and confident as the team that won the title in 2004.

Fascinating replies so far - in particular on the matter of ''mental strength''

Anybody know if Lambert''s experiences in Germany have an input to our strong physical & mental conditioning?

OTBC

Are we the fittest team in the Championship? I think that''s one for the ladies to answer to be honest...

I dunno... there''s a few lookers but a couple of the guys like Tierny bring it down :P

I think that the German influence is quite apparent with the team and the manager Bly. The Germans have always been fit both physically and mentally. I think last season and the raft of the late goals we scored has helped us and install belief that we can score what ever minute of the game it is.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]Fascinating replies so far - in particular on the matter of ''mental strength''

Anybody know if Lambert''s experiences in Germany have an input to our strong physical & mental conditioning?

OTBC[/quote]I''m sure his experiences in the Bundesliga are a great influence on his coaching style. Also, German football is far from the overtly defensive game it used to be twenty years ago - under Joachim Low they zip the ball around really quickly, while still retaining the physical and mental strength coupled with technical excellence that are the hallmarks of the German game. It''s certainly a greater influence on his style than the time he spent in the SPL, evidently! [;)]Seriously, though, I think playing for a side like Celtic who have great pressure on them to win every game and every domestic trophy will have influenced him too. It truly is ''win or die'' when you''re at Celtic, and couple that with his experiences in Germany and England and you have a great recipe for success.

[quote user="Coelho"]We don''t always play at a high tempo, I don''t think. When we don''t have the ball, the work-rate and pressing to get it back is absolutely first-rate, but a lot of the time (especially when we''re leading) we slow the tempo down and concentrate on keeping possession. That in itself allows you to conserve energy for when you really need it - according to the BBC we had 65% of possession last night. [/quote]That''s a really good point actually. It''s probably quite important that we now have two central defenders who are fairly comfortable on the ball and help us to retain possession. If you''re an attacking player who has just been tearing around pressing the opposition and forcing them to give up possession the last thing you want it to then have to chase an aimless punt over the top. By building more patiently through Fox and with the full backs pushed up providing attacking options the likes of Wes, Jackson and Holty get a chance to catch their breath and plan their next move.

[quote user="Alex"]Are we the fittest team in the Championship? I think that''s one for the ladies to answer to be honest...[/quote]

R.Martin and Holt <3

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Coelho"]We don''t always play at a high tempo, I don''t think. When we don''t have the ball, the work-rate and pressing to get it back is absolutely first-rate, but a lot of the time (especially when we''re leading) we slow the tempo down and concentrate on keeping possession. That in itself allows you to conserve energy for when you really need it - according to the BBC we had 65% of possession last night. [/quote]That''s a really good point actually. It''s probably quite important that we now have two central defenders who are fairly comfortable on the ball and help us to retain possession. If you''re an attacking player who has just been tearing around pressing the opposition and forcing them to give up possession the last thing you want it to then have to chase an aimless punt over the top. By building more patiently through Fox and with the full backs pushed up providing attacking options the likes of Wes, Jackson and Holty get a chance to catch their breath and plan their next move.[/quote]Spot on. I''ve been singing Fox''s praises for a while now - he''s a fantastic player for continuity. This is also why I wasn''t too displeased to see Nelson being sold - for all his grit, determination and good anticipation, he (and Doc before him) simply don''t fit into this kind of tactical system. At the time I was gutted to see the Doc leave, but looking at the way we play now, we''re completely fit for purpose.

Don''t know how fit we are compared to all other clubs, however, it was fairly evident that the Bristol City players found it tough going. You could tell by the sweat on their brows as well as a fair amount of huffing and puffing on their part that our style of play wears an opponent down. This may explain why we score so many late goals. You know, fans tend to focus on the pluses and minuses of their own team and, sometimes, this results in many on this forum expressing a concern that we are lightweight here, or could do with a bit extra there etc. Try turning it around and look at it from the standpoint of the fans of our opponents. Many of them have to be concerned when playing Norwich that we are always in the game and, even if behind, are likely to pull something off in the last minute. It pleases me to think of opposing fans having those concerns of the strength of Norwich City.

Whatever it is it happened almost instantly. The belief, desire, will to win and never say die attitude was there within a month of Lambert''s appointment.

Ron Saunders had two complete seasons of mid-table mediocrity before he had the players fit and "going to the well" for him.

I would say that Lambert has achieved more than Saunders already. It''s not easy to say that because 71/72 was a magical season for me.

Good stuff going on here! It''s great to see us with this positive mentality again. The last time we had a winning outlook we were also the fittest team in the league and were promoted under Worthy. I think Lambert made it quite clear last year with his tactics (which we haven''t really deviated from) and that he encourages us to keep possession and move the ball around. We certainly were very fit last year, and we have built upon that level of fitness this year. I could go on and repeat what has already been said excellently, but instead I''d highlight something that has been only touched upon. As earlier pointed out Fox has been very good for us this season, but I don''t think he alone should get praise for our passing game. The team as a unit have really worked very hard on their composure on the ball, and it is a delight to see. Last a year a few teams gave us a really hard time by pushing us high and hard up the pitch (and it''s great to see us make other teams squirm this way), and certainly at that league one level we were at times lacking that first touch and composure that wins yourselves vital time on the ball. This year, through our centre back signings and most importantly our midfield signings of Fox, Crofts, Surman and Lansbury we have players who not only are comfortable with the ball at their feet but actively seek the ball, and have the time and control to make those important killer passes. However, credit should not only go to them. For many people Rus Martin and Hoolahan have been among our top two best players this year, and whereas last year they had limitations whilst in possession, those two for me have been amongst the best players in the league on the ball, making things happen and in taking chances (particularly for Martin being a full back). For me that''s most impressive of all as it shows that Lambert wants his players to learn and develop before splashing the cash in the transfer market.

[quote user="Raymond Getärd"]Coelho, your remarks are far too sensible for this Forum, let alone for a bbb thread[/quote]You''re right, this thread is getting way too insightful - time to have a pop at Wilbraham, I think.Nice spoonerism, by the way.

[quote user="Coelho"][quote user="Raymond Getärd"]Coelho, your remarks are far too sensible for this Forum, let alone for a bbb thread[/quote]
You''re right, this thread is getting way too insightful - time to have a pop at Wilbraham, I think.

Nice spoonerism, by the way.
[/quote]

A what? Oh, the name... never noticed before. Thanks for pointing that out although it is slightly embarrassing isn''t it? I need to have a word with my parents I think.

[quote user="Raymond Getärd"]

[quote user="Coelho"][quote user="Raymond Getärd"]Coelho, your remarks are far too sensible for this Forum, let alone for a bbb thread[/quote]
You''re right, this thread is getting way too insightful - time to have a pop at Wilbraham, I think.

[/quote]

A what? Oh, the name... never noticed before. Thanks for pointing that out although it is slightly embarrassing isn''t it? I need to have a word with my parents I think.

[/quote]

You mean your real name is Gaymond Retard and not Mustachio Furioso?

Well, well, how apt of your parents.

OTBC

[quote user="Raymond Getärd"]

[quote user="Coelho"][quote user="Raymond Getärd"]Coelho, your remarks are far too sensible for this Forum, let alone for a bbb thread[/quote]You''re right, this thread is getting way too insightful - time to have a pop at Wilbraham, I think.Nice spoonerism, by the way.[/quote]

[/quote]Reminds me of that old Python sketch about the guy called Mr. Smoketoomuch... love it.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pHbf60L2ZoSorry everyone, I''ve given up trying to make sense tonight.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Raymond Getärd"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

Gaymond Retard or Gaymond retard?

Will either be allowed - or is this pc gone mad? I mean either is sufficient for the purpose.

Now let''s see.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Raymond Getärd"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

Gaymond Retard or Gaymond retard?

Will either be allowed - or is this pc gone mad? I mean either is sufficient for the purpose.

Now let''s see.

OTBC

Dear oh dear. This site allows one to write ''Heil Hitler'' but disallows an inoffensive use of the word r e t a r d !

Maybe you can make sense of that tonight Coehlo?

OTBC

[/quote]