Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Utd

NEW SIGNING FOR NORWICH...

[quote user="SnakepitCanary"]From comments Darren Ferguson made, I believe they are more then willing to sell him but he just said that to get abit more money. If we were to find another £1 million I think they wouldn''t refuse that. I think that £3 million already is too high and we should look at other options. But the big question is, who?[/quote]Fry and Ferguson are having second thoughts or you wouldn''t be hearing these sort of comments. Its a fishing expedition and we should be very wary of being hooked.Let ''em stew for a bit, we''d be mugs to pay over the odds  unless it was linked to promotion.

[quote user="SnakepitCanary"]From comments Darren Ferguson made, I believe they are more then willing to sell him but he just said that to get abit more money. If we were to find another £1 million I think they wouldn''t refuse that. I think that £3 million already is too high and we should look at other options. But the big question is, who?[/quote]

Totally agree. If true, £3M is a huge "punt" on a league one player of 27 and even if the gamble pays off in our final games is it really likely that CMS can successfully make the leap from league one to the Premiership. Personally, I believe we need more of a certainty to push us over the finishing line than yet another League One player. Like you say, who that should be I don''t know but this is where Lambert earns his corn ........ which is not to say that he hasn''t done a fantastic job for us already of course.

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]Loan window closes on Thursday so we''ll know either way by then....
[/quote]

Presume you mean tomorrow and not next Thursday Pete, is it at midnight?

I think they''ll either pull out all the stops for him or quickly move on and look at other targets. I think any price will be inflated as they know we only have until tomorrow to sign someone and they will have to find a replacement themselves. We should of sorted this out a while ago, to be honest.

A player cannot be registered in the second half of the Season, after 5pm on the fourth Thursday in March (the 24th).

[quote user="SnakepitCanary"]I think they''ll either pull out all the stops for him or quickly move on and look at other targets. I think any price will be inflated as they know we only have until tomorrow to sign someone and they will have to find a replacement themselves. We should of sorted this out a while ago, to be honest.[/quote]Totally right.

I don''t blame Pboro for holding out for their price at all.

You have to look at the full picture.  Pboro are in a great position in League One.  While there are never any guarantees about them getting promotion either with or without CMS, it doesn''t take a genius to work out they in all probability stand a much better chance of doing so with CMS. 

The dilemma for Pboro is, how much is promotion to The Championship worth to them in monetary terms?  For example, if promotion to the Championship is worth £3m, then sending CMS out on loan now and agreeing to sell him for £1.5m in the summer would not make much financial sense. Especially considering they would probably be able to get £1.5m for CMS all day long come the summer. 

The balance really has to be right for Pboro.  Taking other things into consideration like our potential promotion to the Premier League, CMS could break his leg next week and he is a free agent in summer 2012 etc etc. 

Personally I think Pboro would get between £1.5m - £2m for CMS in the summer, whether they get promoted or not.  Now, if promotion to The Championship IS worth £3m to Pboro.  If Pboro keep CMS AND get promoted to The Championship, they are up £3m plus the value of CMS c.£2m.  If Pboro accepted a £500k loan fee plus £1.5m in the summer for CMS and they didn''t get promoted, they could potentially be £3m worse off than if they had had kept CMS, got promotion and then sold him.  I am not for one minute suggesting that I think he is worth £5m or even that he is worth £5m to Pboro, because they may well get promotion without him and as I have mentioned above there are other factors to take into consideration.

This is a guess, but I suspect that the ONLY stumbling block is our potential promotion to The Premier League.  I would have thought that there would not be any problem with agreeing a loan fee.  The stumbling block being that should Norwich City get promoted to the Premier League, then Pboro want a slice of that and probably a big slice at that.  If we are in the Championship next season then I think Pboro would be happy with c.£2m in the summer.  However, if we get promotion to the Premier League with CMS, then Pboro will want close to that £5m figure I mention above.

It wouldn''t surprise me if Pboro are wanting an agreement drawn up along the lines of (for example) if NCFC are in the Championship next season then they will pay £2m for CMS, however if they are in the Premier League then they will pay £4m for CMS.

Like I say I am not for one minute suggesting that CMS is worth £4-5m or even £3m for that matter.  Looking at the player in isolation, in my opinion he is worth £1.5m - £2m (max). 

This is the issue however.  We are not just looking at CMS in isolation.  We also need to factor in Pboro''s possible promotion to the Championship and the value of that and ours to the Premier League and the value of that.

Will signing CMS mean that we will get promotion or make us any more likely to get promotion bearing in mind there are only 9 games remaining and the team is a well oiled machine?  Is there enough time remaining for CMS to find his feet, fit in with his new team mates and make a real and significant impact to our promotion bid this season?

Will we stick or twist?  Do we sign the agreement that Pboro want or do we stand our grand?  Alternatively, do we play clever and offer a figure in the middle of the Championship and Premiership vlaues, irrelevant of where we are next season?

All the figures I have used above are for EXAMPLE PURPOSES ONLY.

Hi, new poster but long time reader here!I''m just speculating but...1 - DD said Posh are sorting out replacements before the deal is complete.2 - Someone from the small and friendly town of Bungay seems to be confident about the deal being done by the weekend.3 - Chris Martin (from Bungay) is not at work currently...Chris Martin to Posh maybe?

Top stuff, great post. Its a huge gamble as we are only six points off 7th place (if burnley win their game in hand)

Feet on the floor spring to mind, having said that f*ck im excited!

[quote user="Coastal Support"]Hi, new poster but long time reader here!

I''m just speculating but...

1 - DD said Posh are sorting out replacements before the deal is complete.
2 - Someone from the small and friendly town of Bungay seems to be confident about the deal being done by the weekend.
3 - Chris Martin (from Bungay) is not at work currently...

Chris Martin to Posh maybe?
[/quote]

Chris Martin''s from Beccles!

Mackail-Smith has basically issued a come-and-get-me plea [url]http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/peterborough_united/9426418.stm[/url], so I assume it is just a case of agreeing a fee.To be honest, I don''t think we will reach their estimation, so would not be surprised to see this one shelved.

I can''t see Chris Martin going as a part exchange. The problem is we don''t have any strikers (currently) available on the bench. So sending Chris Martin out when he''s due back in the team within the next few weeks (unless you believe the conpiracy thread), wouldn''t really make sense.

I could see us part exchanging him for McNamee though. Has hardly been used lately - sometimes not even on the bench.

Would you offer a sweetner with Jackson going in the opposite direction?

And another thing, if we get promoted and he is not man for us, then surely, he can be sold to another Chump club...

Personally no, I like Jackson for some reason!

Plus then if Jackson goes, and we get this new chappy, who do we have striker-wise on the bench while Martin and Wilbraham are out injured?

[quote user="Coastal Support"]Hi, new poster but long time reader here!I''m just speculating but...1 - DD said Posh are sorting out replacements before the deal is complete.2 - Someone from the small and friendly town of Bungay seems to be confident about the deal being done by the weekend.3 - Chris Martin (from Bungay) is not at work currently...Chris Martin to Posh maybe? [/quote]THAT my dear friends, is what''s commonly referred to as an ''EPIC Fail''..........[:$]

[quote user="Unhinged Canary"][quote user="Coastal Support"]Hi, new poster but long time reader here!I''m just speculating but...1 - DD said Posh are sorting out replacements before the deal is complete.2 - Someone from the small and friendly town of Bungay seems to be confident about the deal being done by the weekend.3 - Chris Martin (from Bungay) is not at work currently...Chris Martin to Posh maybe? [/quote]THAT my dear friends, is what''s commonly referred to as an ''EPIC Fail''..........[:$][/quote]Oops! Well I would call it a ''mild'' fail really. Beccles is only 5miles away from Bungay so thats not exactly ''epic'' is it! lolBut for all intents and purposes the structure of the arguemnt still stands.

[quote user="SnakepitCanary"]I think he''ll hand in a transfer request sooner rather then later to try and push the transfer. I''d offer Simeon the other way if they wanted him.[/quote]

As I said earlier, there has been no mention of a transfer request as yet, but they mean nothing anyway do they, only if the player really wants to leave. 

[quote user="Coastal Support"][quote user="Unhinged Canary"][quote user="Coastal Support"]Hi, new poster but long time reader here!I''m just speculating but...1 - DD said Posh are sorting out replacements before the deal is complete.2 - Someone from the small and friendly town of Bungay seems to be confident about the deal being done by the weekend.3 - Chris Martin (from Bungay) is not at work currently...Chris Martin to Posh maybe? [/quote]THAT my dear friends, is what''s commonly referred to as an ''EPIC Fail''..........[:$][/quote]Oops! Well I would call it a ''mild'' fail really. Beccles is only 5miles away from Bungay so thats not exactly ''epic'' is it! lolBut for all intents and purposes the structure of the arguemnt still stands.[/quote]Due to your honesty and refusal to go straight in with the "F**k you man!!!" reply, your fail has now been downgraded to a class 3 ''mild fail''.As you were.....

[quote user="SnakepitCanary"]I think he''ll hand in a transfer request sooner rather then later to try and push the transfer. I''d offer Simeon the other way if they wanted him.[/quote]

Blimey, I have to agree with you on this as well. Exactly what I thought. I would much rather have Martin than Jackson.

Don''t forget we also have a supposedly chunky sell on fee for Joe Lewis. I wonder if that might come into negotiations. Fry may be aying up selling him in the near future and trying get get our sell on removed as part of any deal.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Don''t forget we also have a supposedly chunky sell on fee for Joe Lewis. I wonder if that might come into negotiations. Fry may be aying up selling him in the near future and trying get get our sell on removed as part of any deal.[/quote]

But Lewis will only go if they miss out on promotion,

Not trying to say I have any inside information (because I haven''t) but I convinced he will be partnering Holty against Hull on Saturday.

[quote user="Harry"]Not trying to say I have any inside information (because I haven''t) but I convinced he will be partnering Holty against Hull on Saturday.
[/quote]

Not trying to say that I have any further inside information to add to that inside information which we might have expected that you did have if it were not for the fact that you have stated that you do not have any inside information but I agree.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/football-league/league-one/5939/6/norwich-table-new-bid-peterborough-hotshot-mackail-smith

I know talksport aren''t particularly reliable, but that was posted just over an hour ago. (sorry if it''s been posted already)

[quote user="87canary"]http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/football-league/league-one/5939/6/norwich-table-new-bid-peterborough-hotshot-mackail-smith

I know talksport aren''t particularly reliable, but that was posted just over an hour ago. (sorry if it''s been posted already)[/quote]Gotta strong feeling that this saga will be wrapped up pretty quickly now.

[quote user="87canary"]http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/football-league/league-one/5939/6/norwich-table-new-bid-peterborough-hotshot-mackail-smith I know talksport aren''t particularly reliable, but that was posted just over an hour ago. (sorry if it''s been posted already)[/quote]

I won''t get to excited yet, remember them saying Paul Lambert had left the club and gone to Burnley.

If we take this as accurate, there does seem to be a bit more detail than weve heard so far..

Plus it seems to indicate that a deal is nearly done, so I guess we wait and see what happens!