Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

Glad we aren't getting CMS

Well as McNally said today that talks have broken down. Im really happy that we are not buying him for the £3m that peterborough wanted. For £3m we could get Billy Sharp from Doncaster, who has scored 14 goals in 26 games this season playing for a team who have had a poor season.

I know that the £3m would include add ons so maybe £1m upfront with an extra £2m as add ons but Billy sharp has scored 14 in 26 this year, and last year scored 15 in 33 which are both very good striker rates. Sharp is also younger than CMS [y]!

We could give Donny jackson as well as cash for Sharp and that could be what we need to keep 2nd.

How do you know we could get Sharp for £3 million or less? Also how do you know Doncaster would be willing to sell him to us! I''m sure if all these players people have been mentioning as alternatives to CMS were avaliable now then Lambert and co would have made a move.

Sharp turned us down once before and probably would again , thats if Doncaster wanted to sell which i doubt they do .And yes he is out injured for the rest of the season anyway . Miss out on going up and i bet there will not be so many people saying they were glad we walked away from the CMS deal .Lambert seems to feel we need a striker now or he would not be trying to pull out all the stops to get one.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

Well as McNally said today that talks have broken down. Im really happy that we are not buying him for the £3m that peterborough wanted. For £3m we could get Billy Sharp from Doncaster, who has scored 14 goals in 26 games this season playing for a team who have had a poor season.

I know that the £3m would include add ons so maybe £1m upfront with an extra £2m as add ons but Billy sharp has scored 14 in 26 this year, and last year scored 15 in 33 which are both very good striker rates. Sharp is also younger than CMS [y]!

We could give Donny jackson as well as cash for Sharp and that could be what we need to keep 2nd.

[/quote]what are you talking about! cms has scored 27 goals this season, his last 3 games 5 assists, if we paid  5 million for him it wouldnt matter if we went up! the fact is Jackson and Wibraham arent good enough and Holt is in need of support! Im all for playing 5 midfielders but we are too close and its ours to lose! So i hope Norwich do the right thing and spend to get him!!!!

[/quote]

But I didn''t think you wanted us to get 2nd? Remember you''re huge thread about not wanting promotion? Also, how do you know Donnie would let us have Sharp for £3 million?

In all honesty, I''ll be dissappointed if we don''t end up getting CMS (situation doesn''t look quite over to me) - But, by the same token, i wouldn''t have him here in a manner that was done just to please the fans, i think we''ve got excellent staff at this club now from top to bottom, and trust that if they decide the situations a no goer, well, that''ll be more than good enough for me and long may it continue.

[quote user="Alex"]In all honesty, I''ll be dissappointed if we don''t end up getting CMS (situation doesn''t look quite over to me) - But, by the same token, i wouldn''t have him here in a manner that was done just to please the fans, i think we''ve got excellent staff at this club now from top to bottom, and trust that if they decide the situations a no goer, well, that''ll be more than good enough for me and long may it continue.[/quote]

cause jackson running around like a headless chicken and wilbrahams likeness to a static wheelie bin is what we need!

[quote user="CANARY CHARGE"][quote user="Alex"]In all honesty, I''ll be dissappointed if we don''t end up getting CMS (situation doesn''t look quite over to me) - But, by the same token, i wouldn''t have him here in a manner that was done just to please the fans, i think we''ve got excellent staff at this club now from top to bottom, and trust that if they decide the situations a no goer, well, that''ll be more than good enough for me and long may it continue.[/quote]

cause jackson running around like a headless chicken and wilbrahams likeness to a static wheelie bin is what we need! [/quote]

Mackail-Smith might not make it at this level ;). But, as stated, i would like to see him here, but not at the expense of us being put over a barrel...

I''m sure a lot of people would agree with me when I say I think CMS would have pretty much bagged us promotion if we signed him?  I am gutted we didn''t get him and I hope this doesn''t come to bite us on the bum.  Sharp would also have been a good signing but he is injured would have taken games to get match fit whereas CMS would have been able to come straight into the team.

I think from now on we should play Hoolahan off Holt and take it from there.

I''d be disappointed if we backed down and paid £3 million for him. As far as I am concerned they can keep him because nobody in their right minds will go for the deal that PBoro want.McNally obviously has enough sense to see that Pboro are trying to pull a stroke on us. If they want to sell him they will come back, if not then F*&k''em I say.

[quote user="Alex"][quote user="CANARY CHARGE"][quote user="Alex"]In all honesty, I''ll be dissappointed if we don''t end up getting CMS (situation doesn''t look quite over to me) - But, by the same token, i wouldn''t have him here in a manner that was done just to please the fans, i think we''ve got excellent staff at this club now from top to bottom, and trust that if they decide the situations a no goer, well, that''ll be more than good enough for me and long may it continue.[/quote]

cause jackson running around like a headless chicken and wilbrahams likeness to a static wheelie bin is what we need! [/quote]

Mackail-Smith might not make it at this level ;). But, as stated, i would like to see him here, but not at the expense of us being put over a barrel...[/quote]

being put over a barrel doesnt matter at this stage! we need him, like villa needed bent and like liverpool need carol! we go up with goals from him it wont matter.............at the moment jackson and wilbraham have scored 1 in 30 od games between them!

[quote user="Boyo"]

I''m sure a lot of people would agree with me when I say I think CMS would have pretty much bagged us promotion if we signed him?  I am gutted we didn''t get him and I hope this doesn''t come to bite us on the bum.  Sharp would also have been a good signing but he is injured would have taken games to get match fit whereas CMS would have been able to come straight into the team.

[/quote]There''s no guarantee of that so that is why the promotion clause has to be in the contract.We can''t afford £3 million if we don''t go up.End of story.

[quote user="CANARY CHARGE"][quote user="I am a Banana"]

[/quote]

what are you talking about! cms has scored 27 goals this season, his last 3 games 5 assists, if we paid  5 million for him it wouldnt matter if we went up! the fact is Jackson and Wibraham arent good enough and Holt is in need of support!
Im all for playing 5 midfielders but we are too close and its ours to lose! So i hope Norwich do the right thing and spend to get him!!!!
[/quote]

So if our team are not good enough why are we second most shots on target 4th highest scorers ect. And it does matter what we spend for 2 reasons - should we go up do you really think Lambert will be given millions to spend ? it will be used to pay the debt and if we dont go up this money will get us to a position where we will go up. Spend millions on CMS and he fails firstly we wont go up secondly the love affair with Lambert will finish as the criticism comes in about signing forwards that fail.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Boyo"]

[/quote]

There''s no guarantee of that so that is why the promotion clause has to be in the contract.

We can''t afford £3 million if we don''t go up.

End of story.

[/quote]

Yes Ricardo, I understand that but I''m still gutted we didn''t get him!

Would love to see CMS here ... but the price being bandied about is a joke.Get the feeling McNally is playing hardball here and good on him [Y].

[quote user="ryan1992"][quote user="I am a Banana"]

[/quote]

But I didn''t think you wanted us to get 2nd? Remember you''re huge thread about not wanting promotion? Also, how do you know Donnie would let us have Sharp for £3 million?

[/quote]

im all for us going up, but only for 1 season to clear the debts

[quote user="Boyo"]

[/quote]

Don''t agree in the slightest. For all we know there could be three possible situations from his arrival: One, he could come in get injured in the first game be out for the rest of the season, massive waste of money; Two, come in and not score - yes, I realise he got those 11 goals in a relegated side, but maybe if he''d put more away they could''ve stayed up; or three, he comes in plays well scoring vitals goals stays injury free we keep second place/take first and reach the Promise Land.

There is certainly no guarantee that his signing would give clinch us promotion. When you hit a rut at the top, you go into freefall very quickly, as we''ve seen from teams around us recently.

I very much advocated bringing in a striker in January - which I still believe we needed at the time - however, it is clear from our recent performances that we are not as desperate as before. Keep the momentum going and we should be OK. Of course it would be nice to bring someone in like last year to keep the current team on their toes, but if we don''t achieve one of the top two spots I will not be looking back on missing out on CMS as our ''defining'' moment of the season.

[quote user="CANARY CHARGE"][quote user="Alex"][quote user="CANARY CHARGE"][quote user="Alex"]In all honesty, I''ll be dissappointed if we don''t end up getting CMS (situation doesn''t look quite over to me) - But, by the same token, i wouldn''t have him here in a manner that was done just to please the fans, i think we''ve got excellent staff at this club now from top to bottom, and trust that if they decide the situations a no goer, well, that''ll be more than good enough for me and long may it continue.[/quote]

Mackail-Smith might not make it at this level ;). But, as stated, i would like to see him here, but not at the expense of us being put over a barrel...[/quote]

being put over a barrel doesnt matter at this stage! we need him, like villa needed bent and like liverpool need carol! we go up with goals from him it wont matter.............at the moment jackson and wilbraham have scored 1 in 30 od games between them! [/quote]

Haha you''re making me laugh now! Like it''s really mattered what Jacko and Willy have scored so far, you''d forgive me for thinking we''re 3 points clear in second place!. I''m afraid i agree with the 95% of the posters on this board that feel we''ve done the right thing here - Sorry!

I reckon he''s over-rated and would be an expensive flop... one we can''t afford should we fail to gain promotion.I am still convinced that another year at least in Division Two lies ahead for NCFC.

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]I reckon he''s over-rated and would be an expensive flop... one we can''t afford should we fail to gain promotion.I am still convinced that another year at least in Division Two lies ahead for NCFC.[/quote]

typical idiot response!!!

[/quote]So you want us to bring in somebody who is injured until the end of the season, instead of the top scorer in the country. You do talk some rubbish.

1.5m upfront and 1m as add ons is a generous bid for a player in the third tier of english football!

If McNally doesn''t think he is worth more than that, then that is good enough for me and we will move on!

If a deal could be done then I would be happy to see CMS here but as many others have stated we cant be held to ransom.

I trust McNally and his track record so far goes to prove we all should!!! OTBC

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]I think CMS will be a Norwich player before the deadline ends next week.[/quote]Agree.I reckon CMS''s agent will be making it very difficult for Posh to hold on to the player. Whether or not Posh will climb down on their £3 million asking price remains to be seen. Personally I think he is overpriced but if he scores enough goals who cares ? It''s a gamble worth taking. If we get promoted the fee will be small change and if we don''t I''m pretty sure he''d be scoring for fun in the Championship. In the unlikely event he turns out to be a dud we won''t lose all of our money if we decide to sell the player.It''ll probably all go through with a huge list of '' add-ons '' so that everyone will be able to say they didn''t back down over the price asked and paid.

[quote user="bristolyella"]

1.5m upfront and 1m as add ons is a generous bid for a player in the third tier of english football!

If McNally doesn''t think he is worth more than that, then that is good enough for me and we will move on!

If a deal could be done then I would be happy to see CMS here but as many others have stated we cant be held to ransom.

I trust McNally and his track record so far goes to prove we all should!!! OTBC

[/quote]I remember him saying at the AGM that they would push as far as possible but would never put the financial future of the club in jeopardy.Thats more than good enough for me.

Watching him against Southampton a while ago I was really impressed with him, he is absolutely relentless, full of pace, strength and also knows how to finish. I fully believe we should have another good go at this in the summer, hopefully Peterborough will not get promoted and we can get him easier. We can still get a good 5 years out of him, although we may not be able to sell him on for big bucks in the future like the Ashton and Earnie deals I feel we need to be thinking about now because I fully believe this guy is a bit special!