Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Anybody know what Plan B is?

There is evidently a strong desire by Lambert to get in another striker to boost the squad for the run in and the club are clearly trying to make something happen within the loan deadline.

Presumably we don''t have all our eggs in one basket in the person of CMS.

So anyone know what Plan B is?

I mean given the strong bid to get in CMS, Plan B can hardly be to ''go with what we''ve got'' now can it?

OTBC

BBB - I truly believe that if we don''t get CMS (and we still might) that Plan B is go with what we''ve got. It takes time to get things rolling on such a deal and unless we''ve laid foundations already - time is ticking as to what impact any new player will have. They''d have to not upset the applecart and settle in straight away - we know that doesn''t happen all the time.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

I mean given the strong bid to get in CMS, Plan B can hardly be to ''go with what we''ve got'' now can it?

OTBC

[/quote]

I honestly think it might be. Lambert has been keen all along to point out that he will only bring in players who are right for the club and had obviously decided CMS would fit straight into the team. Based on the evidence of Monday night our team is set up to press high up the pitch and play a reasonably patient possession game when we win the ball back. Reports from Peterborough suggest that CMS is not only a very good goalscorer but also has a phenomonal work rate. Whoever comes in needs to fit into that system straight away (with only nine games to go we can''t afford to sign a player who needs three or four games to get used to our tactics) and their suitability for our system is just as important as their goalscoring record. That is why I''ve been pointing out that going through a list of the top scorers in the division and judging players purely on their goals scored is a complete waste of time.

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

I honestly think it might be. Lambert has been keen all along to point out that he will only bring in players who are right for the club and had obviously decided CMS would fit straight into the team. Based on the evidence of Monday night our team is set up to press high up the pitch and play a reasonably patient possession game when we win the ball back. Reports from Peterborough suggest that CMS is not only a very good goalscorer but also has a phenomonal work rate. Whoever comes in needs to fit into that system straight away (with only nine games to go we can''t afford to sign a player who needs three or four games to get used to our tactics) and their suitability for our system is just as important as their goalscoring record. That is why I''ve been pointing out that going through a list of the top scorers in the division and judging players purely on their goals scored is a complete waste of time.

[/quote]

Which, judging by the youtube videos, is not the game that Peterborough play. CMS drives for goal when he has the ball, sometimes supported by Boyd - a partnership doing what MacNamee and Jackson should be doing.

Judging from the manager''s comments since January, other clubs at this stage are not willing to release good players, unless they are not involved in promotion/relegation or are team re-building.

I have suggested all along that he would struggle in and after the window to find anyone who is really outstanding.

PL tells us that he has made umpteen calls - we are aware of one or two of them.

The fact that they didn''t yield to Peterborough''s demands suggests that they have weighed everything up. Was there a sly dig at Posh from McNally about things being different at the end of the season for them, with the value of CMS falling?

Plan B,a gamble forced upon us, is to go with what we have, and spend in the summer when needs are more obvious.

Doubtless luck will intrude at some point, or referee idiocy, and there is always the risk of injury.

Having said that, we are playing well, and are quite capable of beating most sides we have to play. There is a risk, but we shall have to buy players in the summer and there is much sense in keeping our money until then.

Lambert has said he''s picked up the phone a million times, so i''m suggesting CMS wasn''t first choice.

So i''m agreeing with others on this, if we can''t talk Pboro round, then we go with what we''ve got and wrap Holt up in bubble wrap.