Sign in to follow this  
@jayncfc

Peterborough FC Radio Thing

[quote user="NRGUK"]I think this is as good as done, but it is still good to hear other peoples viewpoints! OH and this is my first ever successful thread! Chuffed!  [/quote]Didn''t you say that the guy being interview said he didn''t think we would match the offer? Can you explain a bit more? Do you think we have already offered our maximum bid so he doesn''t think it''s likely we''ll go for him anymore?

[quote user="Lincoln Yellow"]I don''t like to stir things up anymore, but.. £2m plus £1m add-ons gets us Ched in my opinion.

Ched or CMS?

Either or. Just get one.
[/quote]

CMS every day of the week.

[quote user="Lincoln Yellow"]I don''t like to stir things up anymore, but.. £2m plus £1m add-ons gets us Ched in my opinion.Ched or CMS?Either or. Just get one. [/quote]I would be hesitant to spend that much on CMS, because it''s definitely over the odds, but could be worth it if we go up.I wouldn''t touch Ched with that much money with a bargepole. I think shef would take 1.5m, which is half what they spent, but still a lot of money for a flop.

[quote user="judderman"][quote user="Lincoln Yellow"]I don''t like to stir things up anymore, but.. £2m plus £1m add-ons gets us Ched in my opinion.Ched or CMS?Either or. Just get one. [/quote]I would be hesitant to spend that much on CMS, because it''s definitely over the odds, but could be worth it if we go up.I wouldn''t touch Ched with that much money with a bargepole. I think shef would take 1.5m, which is half what they spent, but still a lot of money for a flop.[/quote]I think ''flop'' is harsh. He''s been in a very poor team, but still scored some good goals.

[quote user="Excited Canary"][quote user="NRGUK"]I think this is as good as done, but it is still good to hear other peoples viewpoints! OH and this is my first ever successful thread! Chuffed!  [/quote]Didn''t you say that the guy being interview said he didn''t think we would match the offer? Can you explain a bit more? Do you think we have already offered our maximum bid so he doesn''t think it''s likely we''ll go for him anymore?[/quote]Yea they, this was a while ago so isn''t verbatim, they didn''t think that Norwich would come back in with the offer that Posh want as it is a tad too high for us. They also said with the next breath though, that CMS wouldn''t want to go at this time in the season either and that they have other strikers in mind if he did. The cards are on the table at the moment. I think McNally will go in and be like "Ahh your bustin'' my balls man" put something realistic on the table and jobs a good ''un!

[quote user="Excited Canary"][quote user="NRGUK"]I think this is as good as done, but it is still good to hear other peoples viewpoints! OH and this is my first ever successful thread! Chuffed!  [/quote]Didn''t you say that the guy being interview said he didn''t think we would match the offer? Can you explain a bit more? Do you think we have already offered our maximum bid so he doesn''t think it''s likely we''ll go for him anymore?[/quote]He said something like if they offer that i have promised the lad and his agent he can go , but they wont .

Just to add one thing,people keep going on about his age,he''s only just turned 27 and thats not exactly old,he''s just hit his prime for a forward,get the fella in a Yellow shirt and stick him up front with the horse and enjoy the run in!

This whole thing reaks of a blow softening exercise on PU''s front. I think there is a very good chance that this deal could be sorted by then end of the week and that PU know that. I think this is all an attempt to soften the blow for the fans, make it look like they held out for the maximum ammount and that we were not allowed to just swan in and take him.Do I think hes worth it? Well Ive read Peterborough fans views of him as one of the best strikers outside of the premiership and furthermore not just a goal scorer but a work man. Can you put a price on promotion? And I dont just mean this immediate season but also next (which would also make him cheaper). I think 2m is bordering on too expensive but in this clubs history we have had quite a few what if situations with players with regards to taking a punt and I cant help but feel that we will be letting an oppitunity slip if we dont take a gamble. I hope we dont get 3 months down the line and have another ''if only we had ashton since the start of the season''... but instead ''if only we had CMS for the last 9 games'' or even ''the playoff final''!

From this very forum! Sound familiar?

12/11/2003, 12:06 AM

rainbow is not online. Last active: 28/08/2010 17:54:43

rainbow

Not Ranked

Joined on 11/11/2003

norwich

Posts 193

OK! GO FOR IT

So Mr Mumby says that we "played well against Derby in

the second half, without the loanees" No doubt about that...What about

the first half against Millwall when we won the game in the 1st half

thanks to Hucks! Lets face it if this club has ambition we have to go

for it now! We are in the best position to get into the prem than we

have ever had. Portsmouth invested huge amounts in wages to get there

& we can do the same on a comparative shoestring. Hucks wants to BE

WITH THIS CLUB...He and Crouch(we can extend his loan) are crucial to us

getting into the premiership. My message to the the board is: Show

ambition. We have a great manager & will loose him if you dont

maintain the pool of quality players that he has right now to choose

from. Forget about bringing more loan players into the squad in

december, its a crucial time & will affect the balance of the team.

Extend the Crouch loan deal.....SIGN HUCKERBY NOW!!!!!........He only

plays well where hes happy & hes happy with NCFC.

A little twist on matters, dont know if anyone knows but CMS girlfirend is Barry Fry''s daughter Amber. This move could pay for the wedding and save Barry a few quid?! Lol! Source?

Excited Canary - for a young''un, you talk an awful lot of sense. Good posts.

I think more than just goals, CMS would be a very timely boost to the fans, management and squad. Even if he doesn''t score, his mere initial arrival and the fanfare will push us all on a bit more.

Remember Boxing Day 2003?!

[quote user="M.A.T.T"]A little twist on matters, dont know if anyone knows but CMS girlfirend is Barry Fry''s daughter Amber. This move could pay for the wedding and save Barry a few quid?! Lol! Source?[/quote][url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/cambridgeshire/content/image_galleries/peterborough_fc_promotion_bus_top_09_gallery.shtml?15[/url]

[quote user="M.A.T.T"]A little twist on matters, dont know if anyone knows but CMS girlfirend is Barry Fry''s daughter Amber. This move could pay for the wedding and save Barry a few quid?! Lol! Source?[/quote]Yes he did say Barry Fry was like a father to CMS and i got the impression Fry was all for selling him .

"Peterborough know this and have us over a barrel"

Sometimes you have to wonder what planet some folk are on. There was even ridiculous squeaks on here about the transfer window closing in Januray making this illegal !

The internet is a wonderful resource when you can check facts from relianle sources yet we stioll get this forum cluttered up with idiocys taht mostly spring from even bigger idiot sources.

Peterboro'' have been pretty much painted into a corner. The player wants to go, his agent is having a big say in the matter (an agent, what a surpise!) and there appears no one else on the horizon who is prepared to pay anything like what they expect.

Obviously they are going to try and get the best deal and obviously we will be doing the same. But there are a few factors. McNally is not Sheepshanks (I say, you agent chappie, I''ve signed that cheque thingy so if you could fill in the money bits then all will be tickety boo). No Premier League club can get involved until the summer. It''s doubtful any Championship or lower will have the money or the need at this stage.

Peterboro will need this comcluded sooner rather than later to enable them to use the money themselves before the transfer (loan) window closes on the 24th. We can walk away. They can''t hence all the noise coming from them.

If I were McNally I would let them sweat, they are in too deep now and one thing you don''t want is a player who doesn''t want to be with you. Someone who knows that there is every likelyhood that he could be a Premier League player in a matter of a couple of months and finds his present club is blocking that chance.

Finally as to being over a barrel, Peterboro have us over a barrel in the same way that someone being mugged and asking to be allowed to keep his car keys to get home rather than just keeping his shoes to walk home has the mugger over a barrel.

Got to say, Fry gave the impression that he would take the money when discussing another player on late kick off last week but ultimately the chairman stood firm. So i imagine its the chairman thats calling the shots here, not Fry.

If internally they have agreed on a figure whereby the lad gets released, then unless we hit that, they wont be selling. I think its that simple, CMS is going to play his best whether he stays or goes in my opinion. There is no advantage in him misfiring and it clearly isnt affecting him mentally.

So im with Webbo, i think theres a big risk of a bluff being called here were we to make it.

[quote user="City1st"]

"Peterborough know this and have us over a barrel" Sometimes you have to wonder what planet some folk are on. There was even ridiculous squeaks on here about the transfer window closing in Januray making this illegal ! The internet is a wonderful resource when you can check facts from relianle sources yet we stioll get this forum cluttered up with idiocys taht mostly spring from even bigger idiot sources. Peterboro'' have been pretty much painted into a corner. The player wants to go, his agent is having a big say in the matter (an agent, what a surpise!) and there appears no one else on the horizon who is prepared to pay anything like what they expect. Obviously they are going to try and get the best deal and obviously we will be doing the same. But there are a few factors. McNally is not Sheepshanks (I say, you agent chappie, I''ve signed that cheque thingy so if you could fill in the money bits then all will be tickety boo). No Premier League club can get involved until the summer. It''s doubtful any Championship or lower will have the money or the need at this stage.

Peterboro will need this comcluded sooner rather than later to enable them to use the money themselves before the transfer (loan) window closes on the 24th. We can walk away. They can''t hence all the noise coming from them.

If I were McNally I would let them sweat, they are in too deep now and one thing you don''t want is a player who doesn''t want to be with you. Someone who knows that there is every likelyhood that he could be a Premier League player in a matter of a couple of months and finds his present club is blocking that chance. Finally as to being over a barrel, Peterboro have us over a barrel in the same way that someone being mugged and asking to be allowed to keep his car keys to get home rather than just keeping his shoes to walk home has the mugger over a barrel.[/quote]

---

That would be true if Mackail-Smith''s contract ran out this summer. It doesn''t. And Peterborough have told the player he can leave in the summer. At which point he can pick and choose his next club rather than plump now for a team which might or might not be in the Premier League. Moreover, from everything Mackail-Smith has said - and done - since he was told of our interest it doesn''t look as if he''s sulking. Just as Elliott Bennett got on with playing for Brighton.

Having said that IF we are only £500,000 apart on the basic fee (and we only have Peterborough''s word for that) then a split the difference deal before the window closes would not surprise me.

Another more general point to make is that it should not remotely be assumed (which perhaps Peterborough are doing) that we still have all of Foulger''s £2m. That was made available for the start of the January window. In which we bought Barnett, Wilbraham and Tierney, and did loan deals for Edwards and Lansbury. If we do buy Mackail-Smith it may be with the help of another hand reaching into a back pocket for some loose change.

For me, reaching the best idea of what an appropriate price requires us to look at a recent previous example, compare the factors circulating between both transfers, and establish a price that has to, an extent, been set by a previous precedent.For me, i''m going to look at Rickie Lamberts transfer to Southampton, at a cost of £1 million...

Rickie Lambert was:(Reasons for more value than Mackail-Smith scenario)
  • Bought by a side feulled by a new, rich, investor > Our relatively poor financial state has been well documted, in spite of the £2 million input into the playing budget, although it does balance the odds to some degree, thanks to the incentives of making the transfer (which will follow).
(Reasons for less value than Mackail-Smith scenario)
  • Rickie Lambert, age 28. < Mackail-Smith at 27.
  • Coming from a side with scarce forseeable hopes of promotion in Bristol Rovers. In mind of their last season, mid-table, with outside chance of play-offs the aim. < Peterborough are chasing down automatic promotion with at least 3 or 4 other competitors in the last stretch of the season.
  • Only one season of prolific goalscoring at League One level for Rickie Lambert, could have been deemed by interested buyers as a "flash in the pan" = 268 League One games / 78 League One goals. < Mackail-Smith however has been successful at that level at every oppertunity = 93 League One games / 51 League One goals.
  • Bought in the summer. < Mackail-Smith in March, well beyond the highly inflated January transfer window. What may seem crucial, inevitably seems more acute at it''s latter stages.
  • Southampton suffered a points deduction, and consolodation was embraced as the aim for that initial season in League One, anything else a bonus. < Promotion hopes for us are currently more immediate, realistic (Southamption suffered a deduction), and fruitful (approx. £90 million, Premier League, as opposed to approx. £4 million, Championship).
  • Recent goalscoring record upon buying: 
                    - Rickie Lambert * 48 games / 29 goals (Goal every 0.6 games)                    - Craig Mackail-Smith * 42 games / 27 goals (Goal every 0.64 games)
  • Southamptons chairman and executives. < Barry Fry.
In light of that comparison, and the current footballing economic climate, it would seem as much as £3 million would (unfortunately, in my eyes) seem to be a reasonable fee.Unfortunately though it is circumstance that has decided this fee for the most part, not the player himself (an inevitable outcome if you leave ANY such transfer dealings this late on in the day).

Good call City 1st. It wouldn''t surprise me if get him on the terms that McNasty wants and the official line will be as always ''undisclosed fee''

I''m not sure P.boro appreciate who they are dealing with here. Doncaster the patsy has gone, to be replaced by hard nosed business men in McNally and Bowkett.

We all appreciate the club is in good hands and wont be rooked!

[quote user="John"]For me, reaching the best idea of what an appropriate price requires us to look at a recent previous example, compare the factors circulating between both transfers, and establish a price that has to, an extent, been set by a previous precedent.For me, i''m going to look at Rickie Lamberts transfer to Southampton, at a cost of £1 million...

Rickie Lambert was:(Reasons for more value than Mackail-Smith scenario)
  • Bought by a side feulled by a new, rich, investor > Our relatively poor financial state has been well documted, in spite of the £2 million input into the playing budget, although it does balance the odds to some degree, thanks to the incentives of making the transfer (which will follow).
(Reasons for less value than Mackail-Smith scenario)
  • Rickie Lambert, age 28. < Mackail-Smith at 27.
  • Coming from a side with scarce forseeable hopes of promotion in Bristol Rovers. In mind of their last season, mid-table, with outside chance of play-offs the aim. < Peterborough are chasing down automatic promotion with at least 3 or 4 other competitors in the last stretch of the season.
  • Only one season of prolific goalscoring at League One level for Rickie Lambert, could have been deemed by interested buyers as a "flash in the pan" = 268 League One games / 78 League One goals. < Mackail-Smith however has been successful at that level at every oppertunity = 93 League One games / 51 League One goals.
  • Bought in the summer. < Mackail-Smith in March, well beyond the highly inflated January transfer window. What may seem crucial, inevitably seems more acute at it''s latter stages.
  • Southampton suffered a points deduction, and consolodation was embraced as the aim for that initial season in League One, anything else a bonus. < Promotion hopes for us are currently more immediate, realistic (Southamption suffered a deduction), and fruitful (approx. £90 million, Premier League, as opposed to approx. £4 million, Championship).
  • Recent goalscoring record upon buying: 
                    - Rickie Lambert * 48 games / 29 goals (Goal every 0.6 games)                    - Craig Mackail-Smith * 42 games / 27 goals (Goal every 0.64 games)
  • Southamptons chairman and executives. < Barry Fry.
In light of that comparison, and the current footballing economic climate, it would seem as much as £3 million would (unfortunately, in my eyes) seem to be a reasonable fee.Unfortunately though it is circumstance that has decided this fee for the most part, not the player himself (an inevitable outcome if you leave ANY such transfer dealings this late on in the day).[/quote]Why put the bullet points there as an option if they don''t work?Cruelly misleading.

I think you''re all missing the point here. This is Cambridgeshire and if you want someone to move on in that neck of the woods you firstly ask them, then tell them whilst directing them to another location and finally you get a court order and have a bailiff serve it on them. Simples!

Purple. your arguments might carry a bit more weight if they were based on a bit more fact.

CMS playing, of which I will assume your assessment is correct, is based on his not having been blocked from leaving the club - so it is not really relevant to my point

Again I must presume that your knowledge of Folugers money is accurate rather than the clubs statement about his purchase of shares in the middle of February.

As to CMS ''plumping for a team'' there doesn''t appear to be a huge number to ''plump ''from, with limited enquiries from the Premier league it would seem. So perhaps better the devil you know.

[quote user="M.A.T.T"]A little twist on matters, dont know if anyone knows but CMS girlfirend is Barry Fry''s daughter Amber. This move could pay for the wedding and save Barry a few quid?! Lol! Source?[/quote]Well I believe he''s got six kids so as they say at one supermarket, " Every little helps "..........

Fry is a porky chancer who has found his level at Peterboro'' .. .....

........... who are another silly little club like Colchester, with yappy little men who have a had a taste of the good life (a season or two in the Championship) and still try to come across as big time charlies.

I expect our attack dog (McNally) to give Fry a bit of a deep growl, if not a good nip like he did with Cowling and the matter will then be settled.

Best to let these runty little local clubs know who is the master - as we did a few months back when the other little runty club, the one down the A140, tried shouting the odds.

Agree with PhatCanary. People are talking about him as if he''s 31 not someone who has just turned 27. Of course in a perfect world we''d sign someone who was 19, and capable of scoring 30 a season, but it''s not going to happen. At 27, it means he''s got another 3-4 years playing at the top of his game.