Sign in to follow this  
Ooh Ahh Lee Power

We can't afford CMS

[quote user="Ooh Ahh Lee Power"]Lambert says Norwich cannot afford CMS, is this a way of trying to get Peterborough to move on price??[/quote]

Nah, i just think he''s telling it like it is. You win some, you lose some.

OTBC

[quote user="Alex"][quote user="Ooh Ahh Lee Power"]Lambert says Norwich cannot afford CMS, is this a way of trying to get Peterborough to move on price??[/quote] Nah, i just think he''s telling it like it is. You win some, you lose some. OTBC[/quote]

[Y] Just being honest i think.Canny Scot,not willing to be ripped off!

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]I wouldn''t be surprised if Posh come back on Thursday with a compromise offer. They know he''s off in the summer and that he wants to join us now.[/quote]

Is his contract definitely up in June? I read it somewhere else but wasn''t 100% sure.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]No, his contract is up in 2012 - but he''s already said he wants to leave so whatever happens, I doubt he will be there come August.
[/quote]

Not sure but thought the 2012 bit is or was an added option they have, and didn''t Hull turn them down for the same reason (Outpriced),  This could come back again but I think not befor the summer, but on the other hand If we are promoted would we want him? With £90mil in the bank surely PL will go up market a bit  

I think we can afford him but we are a business and we set out with a set target to just how much we''d pay for CMS.

We won''t be held to ransom, and PL is very principalled about any player.

As for the posh trying to get as much as they can, thats a fair point but please do it in an ethical manner. Don''t agree one thing and then move the goal posts!!

OTBC

They are asking for an extra £1.5m.

500k for transfer, but more importantly they want the £1m add on''s guaranteed.

So effectively costing us additional £1.5m, as the add on''s (not guaranteed) are only paid once something happens and not committed to the cost. For example, if premiership football is one of the add on''s, we can then afford the additional monies. But if we don''t reach the premiership we don''t pay anymore.

We might not be able to afford the guarantee part of the add on''s.

Good moves by both Norwich and Posh imo.Glad Lambert / McNally refuse to be held to ransom but also happy that Posh will not allow thier prize asset to leave without a hefty price tag.Can you imagine if this was a 1.5m bid for Holt ?? I think every fan would be calling out saying, 1.5m ?!?! We want at least 5 !!!

It isn''t always a case of can or cannot afford; it is sometime simply fair price or too expensive. Paying more doesn''t always mean buying better, it just comes down to proper value.

[quote user="pete_norw"]

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]No, his contract is up in 2012 - but he''s already said he wants to leave so whatever happens, I doubt he will be there come August.
[/quote]

Not sure but thought the 2012 bit is or was an added option they have, and didn''t Hull turn them down for the same reason (Outpriced),  This could come back again but I think not befor the summer, but on the other hand If we are promoted would we want him? With £90mil in the bank surely PL will go up market a bit  

[/quote]

It''s not really £90m in the bank, but I see what you''re saying. It''s about half that for going up straight away (the other £45m odd in parachute when/if relegated etc). I''m sure they''ll spread out the money on existing debts, the stadium, increased wages for current squad and extensions and then a specific amount for transfers. Can''t imagine any huge transfer prices. I think CMS would have been worth a punt even if we go up - hardworking and has good finishing so seemingly fits into our style. Add some wingers etc and clear out few bits of deadwood and see what happens! Then if we go down, we''re not stuck with huge wages hopefully and back to the dark days and doom! lol. If the board say we can''t afford it then we can''t afford it and I trust them - much more than I ever trusted Doomcaster et al anyhow!

[quote user="Canaries Utd"]Call me spiteful, call me what you like, but..... i hope Peterborough DONT get promoted [:P]
[/quote]

Lol, I was indeed thinking the same thing recently.. I always look for POSH results and want them to do well - general close proximity to Norwich, Joe Lewis etc etc.. I have however been having unkind thoughts about them recently, but I must say I''d still be happy (to a slightly lesser extent now than before) if they went up. I like Southampton too though so maybe POSH to go through to the gauntlet that is playoffs

We could afford him if we wished - we had an extra £2m Foulger money from January. That''s apparently all we would have to pay up front.

Perhaps it ought to be translated "We''re not prepared to be ripped off, by people who move the goal post!"

I suspect that PL also has an eye on May, when we may be contemplating playing in the Premiership, and for which we would need players of proven ability at that level.

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk:80/sport/football/peterborough-united/5_million_will_not_buy_posh_strike_ace_mackail_smith_1_2516812

Looks like the games over

They will never get as big an offer in the summer with only 12 months of his contract left, even if ''apparently'' there are 21 clubs interested in him!

Makes you wonder if Fry trying to get a transfer request so CMS waives his right to loyalty bonuses, etc??