Sign in to follow this  
Calcio Canary

EXCELLENT Match Report

I read this match report from yesterday and think it is one of the best I have read and though it deserved to be highlighted: It was previously under ''Anyone Back from Hull''?: What do you think??

Travelled on the cross country express and have been back in my northern base for a while now, plenty of time for reflection on a tough away day.

I feel it is important to stress that the quality of the pitch at the KC hampered many of our moves today, with Wessi in particular struggling to bring the ball under control in the blink of an eye as many will be familiar with when on home turf.

The first half was a tight affair with Hull''s front two looking tricky to handle at times, especially with the likes of Koren and Rosenior supporting the attack. Despite this Hull''s best early chances came from uncharacteristic errors when passing the ball around from the back reminiscent of Swansea''s horror goal last weekend. Ruddy was reliable as ever though when shots did make it through and I don’t think the faithful behind the goal where ever too scared.

Our goal came from a free kick taken by Fox who planted the ball onto the head of the giant Whitbread who out leapt the onrushing Guzan to head into an empty net. We were good value for the lead on the whole although Hull did make us work hard at times. In fairness they really should have equalised but somehow Harper skied over from only a few yards after a Fryatt pullback.

We had struggled at times with Wes hardly involved at times in the first half in particular.

Second half saw a clever tweak to the formation from Lambert with Lansbury swapping with Wes. Hull were quick to pressure after the restart however we soon started to show our class with impressive passing and moving soon leading to us looking a real threat. We have developed a trusted way of playing in which moments of defence our soon converted into us attacking by way of slick passing and Fox spreading the ball wide.

One of these moves involving Lansbury and a clever Holt knockdown allowed the ever impressive Martin to break into the box with only Dawson and Guzan to beat. He was composed on the ball and looked to make space to shoot. Unfortunately, Dawson had obviously tired of wearing the hideous Hull kit and decided he would take Martins off his back in the crudest of fashion. Fair play to Martin, he held firm and got his shot away when others would have surely tumbled, most likely believing a penalty decision was only seconds away. To the despair of the faithful behind the goal no decision came and Martin was clearly livid squaring up to Dawson. At this point all faith in the referee was lost and we knew we''d have to do it the hard way. Decisions started going against us for a while although we got on with things and continued to look classy.

On 60 minutes Lappin cam on for Surman who seemed a tad tired and immediately looked up for the challenge, tackling sharply looking to ping his trademark balls into the box whenever possible.

A Hull break down the wing was nearly ended when Martin mistimed his tackle sending their player flying, however the referee who had played advantages throughout the afternoon let play continue allowing Fryatt to set up Barmby for a simple finish.

This merely meant that City turned up the heat with Lambert making a surprise change with Fox being replaced by Jackson. This was a very pleasing change as the intent was clearly there as we went for the jugular in the final 10-15 minutes. Holt and Lansbury were causing all sorts of problems, outmuscling their defence and knocking the ball on for our supporting players regularly now.

There were three chances at the end that on another day would have seen us celebrating a win. Jackson turned brilliantly when it looked it had been forced wide. His shot was hit with power across the goal and would have surely nestled in the bottom corner if it had been a few inches higher. As it was Guzan pulled of a match winning save, tipping it around the far post.

A Holt knockdown then set Lansbury through on goal, although he was under immense pressure and as tried to poke the ball goal ward as Guzan rushed to block. Unfortunately it was agonisingly wide by a few inches and Jackson was unable to get to the by-line in time to squeeze it in despite his best efforts.

Hull remained a threat on the break having made attacking changes themselves, although their chances were predominantly long shots coming after a back line had shepherded them well, never really troubling Ruddy despite one flashing just wide near the death.

Finally Wes looked to beat about 5 of their defenders by jinking through to goal after breaking into their penalty area. I thought I was about to witness one of the all time great goals but again Hull were able to block at the last with Wes having skinned about 4 of them.

1-1 was probably a fair result although we certainly feel hard done by considering the blatent foul on Martin when through on goal. We showed that we can battle hard and can play on poor quality pitches.

The fans were awesome away again with Lambert and the team quick to acknowledge us at the end.

MoM: is tough again although Henri Lansbury probably just nicks it for never letting Hull rest for the full 90.

Not sure it really deserves its own thread, but I did say it was very well wrote and exactly as i saw it!

[quote user="CDMullins"]Not sure it really deserves its own thread, but I did say it was very well wrote and exactly as i saw it![/quote]Are you the self-appointed ''Thread-Police'' today? [^o)]

No I''m not the ''Police'' I just thought it was a very well written piece as I was at the game and thought it was an accurate and balanced report. I thought I''d highlight it as a good read , especially for those who weren''t able to attend.

[quote user="Unhinged Canary"][quote user="CDMullins"]Not sure it really deserves its own thread, but I did say it was very well wrote and exactly as i saw it![/quote]Are you the self-appointed ''Thread-Police'' today? [^o)][/quote]No, he''s just always an arrogant cock that thinks he''s above everyone else on here. He doesn''t go to games so spends hours on here being a general cock.

[quote user="Lincoln Yellow"][quote user="Unhinged Canary"][quote user="CDMullins"]Not sure it really deserves its own thread, but I did say it was very well wrote and exactly as i saw it![/quote]Are you the self-appointed ''Thread-Police'' today? [^o)][/quote]No, he''s just always an arrogant cock that thinks he''s above everyone else on here. He doesn''t go to games so spends hours on here being a general cock.[/quote]

Brilliant

[quote user="Lincoln Yellow"][quote user="Unhinged Canary"][quote user="CDMullins"]Not sure it really deserves its own thread, but I did say it was very well wrote and exactly as i saw it![/quote]Are you the self-appointed ''Thread-Police'' today? [^o)][/quote]No, he''s just always an arrogant cock that thinks he''s above everyone else on here. He doesn''t go to games so spends hours on here being a general cock.[/quote]Who''s next on your list of posters to make friends with?

[quote user="Calcio Canary"]No I''m not the ''Police'' I just thought it was a very well written piece as I was at the game and thought it was an accurate and balanced report. I thought I''d highlight it as a good read , especially for those who weren''t able to attend.[/quote]WHOOSH!!!!!!!