Sign in to follow this  
Smudger

The support of the team was woeful yesterday...

[quote user="City1st"]I don''t remember Preston or Doncaster having much of a support at Carrow Road, it didn''t stop them getting a good result (for them).

As to singing it might help if some fans actually sung, not bark like made yappy dogs. Heard Spurs fans singing "Oh when the Spurs go marching in" on TV last night. Imagine that reduced to some goggle eyed, manic shriek.[/quote]I thought that the Spurs fans version of that was great when they done it against Inter in Europe I think it was?  Showed how you can sing a song with passion slowly and still make it heard loud and clear ringing around a stadium.

So it should be with us. ''On the ball'' had something special about when it was sung, When there was also ''something special'' for it to be sung.

I''ve been fortunate to have stood on the old Kop when ''You''ll never walk alone'' rang out. ''Blayden Races'' at St James Park and very memorable St Andrews on a snowy day way, way back when we were getting beaten 4-0, the stirring words of ''keep right on to the end of the road''. It was taken up by the whole ground (much as On the Ball used to be at CR) and it seemed to rise and fall and flow round the ground.

Even the bumsniffers rendition of ''swing low sweet chariot'' is sung, And sung as the above songs are sung - as an anthem, not a jingle. So maybe it''s time to get back to our roots.

[quote user="Smudger"]I''m not sure if this was due to nervous tension as auto promotion is now in our own hands, or whether it was because we had 15+ coach loads of club cabbagers in amongst us?

I have heard 27 people make more noise than our 2,700 made for most of the game yesterday. We really need to do better than that, because I think had the backing from our large turnout been more vocal yesterday then we would''ve come away with another 2 points.

We also need to learn to sing as a unit more, rather than most songs coming from scattered groups of 10, 20 or 30 individuals.

Let''s turn up the volume for the rest of the games, coz we let the team down yesterday![/quote]I think the title is a bit harsh, our "support" is brilliant to take near 3,000 fans to an away game.Vocally, however, I agree, we could have been a lot lot louder. There were quite a few elderly people around us who were reluctant to contribute to any songs, and I agree with what everyone has been saying about the ''patches'' of chanting, there were plenty of times when half of our allocation sang two different songs at the same time!

I have to say I agree with Smudger on this one for 2700 fans we were quiet until we scored.

It was better at Barnsley where people were able to sit where they wanted. Thus all the people who wanted to sing aligned themselves together, this also probably dragged other people who wouldn''t have normally sung who got caught up in the atmosophere like a whirlpool.

I also think we should start a song that hasn''t been sung on terraces to my recollection but could get sung by everyone if we started doing it. Magic Moments like off the quality street advert. I wouldn''t change any of the words or anything. Everybody would know it and theres a bit in it where you just hum the tune with no words.

It could catch on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ND3oghPL5M

This always comes up when a team not just Norwich start doing well. All he "glory hunters" etc etc not being ''real fans''. And so on.

I very rarely see Norwich play, i live in the South East and its not possible to attend home games but i go to Southampton (champ & league 1), Reading (champ), Brentford (league 1) each season when they come up against these teams though i will usually sit amogst the home fans as its far easier to get tickets (on the day). I think you''d also find ''new norwich fans'' who have turned up just because the team are doing well equally will find getting norwich tickets difficult. 

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]I also think we should start a song that hasn''t been sung on terraces to my recollection but could get sung by everyone if we started doing it. Magic Moments like off the quality street advert. I wouldn''t change any of the words or anything. Everybody would know it and theres a bit in it where you just hum the tune with no words.

It could catch on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ND3oghPL5M[/quote]FFS

Very true Rob Sims.

I have to say though that this comment is one of an asshole...

I did think however that there was alot of amatuer away fans yesterday, maybe we could call them ''glory hunters'' or ''non-regular twats'' as has been coined on here before?

"I think there''s alot now jumping on the bandwagon, I know of severalregulars who couldn''t get tickets for Watford due to them being snapped up so quickly by non regulars jumping aboard the bandwagon."

I am unable to work and have very low income. Thus cant afford to go to many home games let alone away. Ive been a fan for 20 years with many of those as a season ticket holder. This was my first away game in ages, and as a result dint know the words to every single song, yet got involved in every song I did know. I certainly didn''t go ''just because we''re doing well''. In any case, would you not feel more inclined to go if we were on the verge of something historic anyway?

Fans are fans and people making this sort of ridiculous comment really eff''s me off. we took nearly 3,000, and in my eyes I couldn''t care less if they were all there for the first time. we are all fans and all love the team and want to go for the same reason. To segregate fans as being ''Amateur'' like you deserve some kind of medal for being able to afford the time and money to go makes me hope I dont have to sit next to you any time soon.

[quote user="nu_matik"]Very true Rob Sims. I have to say though that this comment is one of an asshole... I did think however that there was alot of amatuer away fans yesterday, maybe we could call them ''glory hunters'' or ''non-regular twats'' as has been coined on here before? "I think there''s alot now jumping on the bandwagon, I know of severalregulars who couldn''t get tickets for Watford due to them being snapped up so quickly by non regulars jumping aboard the bandwagon." I am unable to work and have very low income. Thus cant afford to go to many home games let alone away. Ive been a fan for 20 years with many of those as a season ticket holder. This was my first away game in ages, and as a result dint know the words to every single song, yet got involved in every song I did know. I certainly didn''t go ''just because we''re doing well''. In any case, would you not feel more inclined to go if we were on the verge of something historic anyway? Fans are fans and people making this sort of ridiculous comment really eff''s me off. we took nearly 3,000, and in my eyes I couldn''t care less if they were all there for the first time. we are all fans and all love the team and want to go for the same reason. To segregate fans as being ''Amateur'' like you deserve some kind of medal for being able to afford the time and money to go makes me hope I dont have to sit next to you any time soon.[/quote]

Yup exactly, and on top of this, these ''new fans'' are what will fuel Norwich''s development into a permanent premiership club... hopefully!

OTBC!

[quote user="Smudger"]I''m not sure if this was due to nervous tension as auto promotion is now in our own hands, or whether it was because we had 15+ coach loads of club cabbagers in amongst us?

I have heard 27 people make more noise than our 2,700 made for most of the game yesterday. We really need to do better than that, because I think had the backing from our large turnout been more vocal yesterday then we would''ve come away with another 2 points.

We also need to learn to sing as a unit more, rather than most songs coming from scattered groups of 10, 20 or 30 individuals.

Let''s turn up the volume for the rest of the games, coz we let the team down yesterday![/quote]Oh well. It cant be La Bombonera every week. At least we have a decent away following these days rather than the dreary sit down no noise following we took everywhere a couple of years ago.

The atmosphere where i sat was muted by 3 drunks who decided to spend the hole game shouting abuse at other Norwich fans and were more interested in trying to start fights then watching the game. One of them infact needed to be carried to the bus at the end of the game as he could not walk!

" needed to be carried to the bus at the end of the game as he could not walk! "

Unfortunately that was the driver of club cabbage coach 9

I dont get to go to many away games being at uni and money obviously but still have a home season ticket. When I do go home and away games I always sing my heart out every game and love creating a atmosphere and I feel if we r to get automatic promotion we need the same atmoshpere we created against leicester and bristol city and the players seemed to rise to that. But taking 3,000 fans to Hull is great support and if some sections didnt sing that is unfortunate but thats life. OTBC

We thought exactly the same about the acoustics didnt seem to be any echo, also agree with OP far to many groups singing different stuff at the same time